180 gallon build.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Just bought my dry rock today. Have 65 pds, and having another 60 delivered, and will prolly grab the remaining 60 in a week or two.

Jewel

Needs to be resealed? Might of had a Brace? A 180. Oh boy, I wouldn't trust it either. Is it Eurobrased? As far as Plywood under your tank? fine but you better put some foam between them.
My tank sits on top of 3/4 Maple, no Foam, No Plywood, It compresses with the weight and looks great.

Jewel

I guess not, That would be glass strips on the top of the tank. What are the dimensions or maybe a Pic would be nice.

Jewel

Man that glass looks like it's an inch thick, I hate pictures of dirty tanks, I'd be interested in knowing what some of the other guys think, But If it were me. I wouldn't chance it. But then I don't know too much other than what I see, I hope you didn't pay a lot for it.  Looks heavy as hell.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
If it were me and that tank was being used in my basement for freshwater with only a couple bucks worth of fish I would use it.  The worst that could happen is I mop up what didn't go to the floor drain. 

But as a reef in my upstairs with thousands of $$ of fish and coral, plus carpet and flooring.  No way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jewel

It doesn't look like it had a Rim on it but it looks old and beat, I wouldn't of bought it but you never know It might be fine.

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear but according to those pics it just looks questionable.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
I measure it the pther day and i believe it was 3/4 thick.. and yeah i payed about 600 650 something like that....enough that imquestioning whether im going to even continue doing this shit.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Just clean it right up so it looks like new.. Then take a few photos, it's thick enough to be rimless so it's probably worth saving imo, Brandon issues with leaky tank(s) isn't the norm, depending on how it looks clean, you might be good to go.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Im not really ubderstanding what cleaning is gonna do to tell if its safe? I would need someone expertise in person im guesing

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Maybe u shouldn't use it then, hard to tell from your photos anything except it looks not well taken care of..

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
i honestly wouldnt stress about it, remember when you bought it you even water tested it for a week or more.

if you need to feel better about used tanks go talk to gary at sealife, he'll boost your confidence forsure,
his 500g there in front hes sealed himself and its sitting 1'' not level and he doesnt even worry about it lol.

think about how many people are on this forum, for how long?
and how many of them have had leaks....

me and one other guy that had his bottom glass pane burst out.

im strongly considering going used again, even picking up this week.
just gotta look for obvious issue and balance the tank properly.
dont stress about it :)

benzzz

I know how dishearting and stressful this hobby like most others here. Look at what happened to me yesterday with my bulkhead.... (posted on my tank thread). I would clean it up really good. You held water for a week in it and said it didnt leak. IMO I would re test it with water again when you are satisfied it is useable. Wouldnt hurt to buy 2 or3 tubes of caulk and reseal inside again. I am amazed how strong the stuff is. Good luck and keep us posted.  ;D

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Yeah i bought aqueon silicone thats used for manufacturing tanks. Do i just reseal corners or do i have to dismantle the tank and re silicone. And its jist i dont want it to leak and be screwed woth all my livestock.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
If your going to dismantle the tank, you need to be confident that you have the know how to reseal and reassemble it properly. At least I would strip and redo all the inside stuff.. Keep in mind you need to clean it better than new before any silicone work.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I have a 140 sump 72x18x24 that is 1/2" glass and was originally not braced, if you have 3/4" or even 5/8" glass I would say you are ok.
Make sure there is no deterioration of the silicone where the panes meet, that is the structural part, if that is ok then go ahead and reseal the corners.

Jewel

If Posiedon has seen the tank and says it's fine then go for it. Those panes look 3/4 and like Pistol said it's the sealant between the panes that are important. It's a shame to give up on it now. I'd keep your 46 set-up just in case. I'll bet that 180 will look sweet. I'm a big fan of Rimless.

Taking it apart is a monumental job on a big tank like that. Ive done it before and it's not easy infact it's hell.