320 Gallon/ 1212 Liter - SPS/mixed Reef

C

ChatBot

320 Gallon/ 1212 Liter - SPS/mixed Reef Chesterfield MI USA Just over the Border

Wow. You should share your secrets in chat room sometime. Spectacular tank.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Re: 320 Gallon/ 1212 Liter - SPS/mixed Reef Chesterfield MI USA Just over the Border

What absolutely amazing pictures!!  :drool: :drool:  I think a lot of us now have "tank envy".  Fabulous work. :)

Chewy

Inactive Since Crash
INACTIVE
Re: 320 Gallon/ 1212 Liter - SPS/mixed Reef Chesterfield MI USA Just over the Border

holly molly nice tank  8)

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate

Salty Cracker link said:
I can't get anything to load, and I'm on unlimited teksavvy cable.  Can someone shrink the photos?

They so good they are unshrinkable.

tdb320reef

Website
www.coralfragz.com

God time just slips by and I didnt notice all of the kind words.  Thank you all.  I added more led fixtures and will be adding a ton of LE sps out of South CA. 

The end of July 2013 will be a year so looking forward to seeing what it looks like then.

Talk Soon
Tom

jmonker

Would love to check out your system in person! One of a kind, looks gorgous!

Thmh

Website Affiliate

iam pretty mad jelly of you Tom your tank is way more grown in then mine and we started pretty much at the same time!!!

tdb320reef

Website
www.coralfragz.com

I had a few emails about the filtration set-up.  Here is what I use:

• Skimmer: Sro 5000
• Tempered Glass 95 Gallon Sump holds about 65Gallons water during operation.
• Refugium with live Rock, Sand and Cheato
• Heating – Hotwater loop with pex controlled with Apex
• Apex 3 EB8 with WXM, VDM, PM1,PM2, Salinity, 2 Temp and 2 Lab Grade PH Probe
• Avast K2 Kalk Reactor
• SRO 5000 Calcium Reactor
• Schedule 80 plumbing with semi-automated water change.  Drains to basement house sump and returns from water change system below.
• Custom made 5 Gallon Water Reservoir for ATO controlled with Solenoid valves based on tank PH Kalk/Fresh
• Avast 18/10 Media reactor with Bio, Pellet adapter with 2000 ML of BRS biopellets Plumed into return /Plumbed into return
• Avast 18/10 Media reactor 4 cups of cheap ebay carbon swapped out monthly/Plumbed into return
• BRS dual Reactor 4 cups of GFO/Pumbed into return
• Reeflo Dart Hybrid Return Pump
• Heater JBJ 800-Watt back-up to Hot-water Loop
• 7” Filter Sock
• DIY ATO/Neptune Controlled through Kalk Reactor
• DIY break-out box float switch in skimmer and in stand to detect water leaks
• Reef-Brite 24” led for sump (Won at Lansing Swap!!!)

filter110.jpg

filter12.jpg

filter13.jpg

filter14.jpg

filter15.jpg

filter16.jpg

filter17.jpg

filter19.jpg

772.jpg

P

phi delt reefer

Are u using eBay float valves? I just received my order of 10 this week.

tdb320reef

Website
www.coralfragz.com

phi delt reefer link said:
Are u using eBay float valves? I just received my order of 10 this week.

Yes - There is an issue with them though as you pay for what you get..  On the top of the float where the wires come out it is not sealed very well.  As a result the float will ground and you will have issues with that and your PH probe as well.  I solved the issue by siliconing the top and putting a wire shrink around it just a FYI.

AdamS

How well does the heat loop work? I have wondered why nobody else does this? Electric heat is so expensive.

Also, you put your saltwater into your basement sump? Where is that pumping out to?

tdb320reef

Website
www.coralfragz.com

AdamS link said:
How well does the heat loop work? I have wondered why nobody else does this? Electric heat is so expensive.

Also, you put your saltwater into your basement sump? Where is that pumping out to?

I soldered a Tee near my kitchen sink (furthest away on main level) as the source and have solenoid valve and recir pump on the return of the Hotwater heater. When the temp drops in the sump the solenoid valve opens and pump turns by apex on drawing hot water in the loop. Ill try to shoot some pics.

Yes I drain into my home sump. My sump drains into a storm sewer. The advantage of duing this is that it kills the roots that grows in the pipe between my house and sewer. You may think what about the pump... I use a Homedepot Rigid and swap it out every two years for free. No questions asked.

AdamS

No no, i get how it works, im wondering how well does it work. When the pump shuts off because the temperature is satisfied, the coil would still be full of 105 degreeish water, so the temp may continue to climb for a short period. But maybe this effect is negligable.

Many sumps here in Canadia dont go into a storm, so you would be dumping saltwater on your lawn.

tdb320reef

Website
www.coralfragz.com

AdamS link said:
No no, i get how it works, im wondering how well does it work. When the pump shuts off because the temperature is satisfied, the coil would still be full of 105 degreeish water, so the temp may continue to climb for a short period. But maybe this effect is negligable.

Many sumps here in Canadia dont go into a storm, so you would be dumping saltwater on your lawn.

It works great and up there in one of the best investments.  I have the Sump Temp Probe in the first chamber with the coil and as you can see it gets about + .6 but reaches equilibrium fairly quick at 78. This keeps the tank +/- .2 deviation.  Keep in mind that the water in the pex cools to convection so when it turns on it does not get to 110 instantly but increases rather slowly.  As soon as the Apex measures the sump at 78.1 it shuts off the valve and pump and there is only a max .5 increase.
coil2013.JPG

Regarding the WC you can run into your drain somehow.  I have a big drain I could have tapped into for sewage but the sump was easier to deal with.

P

phi delt reefer

I guess you could use the same system on your cold water line to cool the system in the summer as well right?

so does the hot water (once it runs through the sump) get wasted or is it looped right back into the hot water heater?

tdb320reef

Website
www.coralfragz.com

phi delt reefer link said:
I guess you could use the same system on your cold water line to cool the system in the summer as well right?

so does the hot water (once it runs through the sump) get wasted or is it looped right back into the hot water heater?

It wont work with cold water as there is no where to dump the water.  Yes it circulates back into the HW heater.

P

phi delt reefer

is the hot water loop is active, does it affect one's ability to use hot water elsewhere in the house?

sorry i'm trying to wrap my mind around how the system works.

tdb320reef

Website
www.coralfragz.com

It improves it as you have instant hot water.  I have a colonial and in the past it would take about 5-10 seconds for the water to get warm. Now it is pretty much on demand.  Many people install pumps for recirculation via open loop.  I actually used one of these pumps.

Below is a crude sketch someone else did and I modified of how it works.

Topology
loopfinal.jpg

Hooked up to Apex
IMAG1443.jpg

Pump and Valve
IMAG1442.jpg

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca

Awesome, just awesome idea. So the same idea would not work with just a cold water reservoir?