330 Gallon In Wall Mixed Reef Build

NateR

Been awhile since I've been on the forum, especially with anything new. But as the title states, I have a new project! Purchased the tank with pickup this weekend and beyond excited to get it home and setup! The basement at my new house is still being worked on but fingers crossed I'll be able to add some water in the next couple weeks!

Here's a sneak peak of the opening that I have framed in.. The bar will be infront with the whole back room being used for maintenance etc.

Attachments

• IMG_20160909_0920156.jpg
    IMG_20160909_0920156.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 131

Pipes

Will you be adding some more support to the center of the sump area? Not sure how much load a 2x4 will take. Would hate to see it bow when the tank is full of water... Then again I always over build...

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
I work with different grades and sizes of lumber daily, unless that is a 2ply of 2x4 that will bow with that size of tank, it may even still bow as a 2x4 doesn't have enough side strength to take them loads, possibly even snap, depending on the lumber grade.. Just a thought?¿?¿

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
I'll send some pictures of close up tonight. It's framed like a floor system underneath and that's how he had it setup for 3 years.
A 6' span with that depth should be 2x8 for a good safety factor according to the engineers....I went 2x6 but a shallower tank with a larger footprint and no unsupported span over 4'...acrylic pros always recommend using melamine under the tank rather than ply...I have always stuck with that with success...

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
The 4x4 posts are going to be really bad pressure points being built like that, you need to have the 4x4 post under the perimeter of the tank stand other wise you could end up with a cracked tank or even worse complete stand failure, gonna steal @Salty Cracker 's stand build go with something like this, maybe even go with some 2x8 as yours is a REALLY big tank..." Just something to ponder "
330g acrylic tank with euro 300lb
Full of saltwater =2912.5lb
rock/sand add roughly 660lb
Without fish, corals,power heads, returns,etc. your already looking
At 3572lbs. Add a sump, etc, that's a lot of weight for a 2x4's and pressure point 4x4's?¿

image.jpg
image.jpg