330 Gallon In Wall Mixed Reef Build

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Ended up using 2x6 for the basic frame, 2x6's for the "joists" (5 in total), and a mix of interlocked 2x6's and 2x4's on the corners, flat laid 2x6's and 2x4's for the bottom, and 3 additional 2x6's for just some extra support. To tighten it up I screwed and glued plywood to the upper and lower deck, then ran a strip of plywood along 2x6's that extended from the back slightly, and ran screws through that into wall studs. I don't think it's going anywhere, but it's only 125 gallons.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
i used 4x4's in each corner and a 2x4 structure, double supporting braces in the back with 0.5'' ply top, and thats for a 48" tank.

I agree alot of people overkill- (salty), but why not go crazy - little bit of extra wood vs potential tank collapse.... not even in the same class

NateR

Just went and measured the ply wood- it's 3/4". I'm going to reinforce along the joists and outside with several vertical 2x4's to give it further strength.

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
Personally I would rebuild, not to be a negative nancy downer or anything, I just think your going to run into trouble or problems being built that way....

shamous113

Adding uprights will take all the weight instead of relying on the shear strength of the screws. I'd also add at least 2 more 2x4 uprights along the 72" span (making 3 equal spaces) and 1 along the 36" span. I understant that the current setup has worked in the past but the extra safety factor that your adding for $20 in material is peanuts compared to what the live stock is worth IMHO.

NateR

Been awhile since an update, finally have the tank filling! Waiting for the RODI is painfully slow but definitely worth the wait. Stand has been reinforced all through the bottom and the bar has been started ;) more pictures to follow! Going to use some water/ rock from my 90 to seed and start the cycle

Attachments

• IMG_20161122_1739083.jpg
    IMG_20161122_1739083.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 112

Nighthawk26

Looking good. One thing comes to mind when looking at that pic. Unfinished drywall. Be super careful, and don't underestimate the ability of drywall dust to get EVERYWHERE.

NateR

Update: Tank has been cycled and livestock has been moved from my 90 Gallon over now. So far the fish list is: purple tang, yellow tang, hippo tang, mandarin goby, gold spotted goby, 3x blue chromis and a lawnmower blennie. Also have a non photosynthetic gongorian and a bubble coral - not much to start but taking it nice and slow!

Kman

Super Active Member
Once you get some corals in, it will create lots of little caves and shadow spots that add depth to the tank.