330 Gallon In Wall Mixed Reef Build

Bece13

Like your aquascaping as well.
Just on question/suggestion: Aren't the top rocks to close to the water level? When the corals will start to grow you might have a problem with them getting out of the water.

NateR

Like your aquascaping as well.
Just on question/suggestion: Aren't the top rocks to close to the water level? When the corals will start to grow you might have a problem with them getting out of the water.
They are almost right to the top, not sure if that will cause issues? Any thoughts?

Bece13

I will have to do some aquascaping myself in a few months and being in the process of doing my research I came across different views. My personal conclusion so far is that you have to have a vision on how it will look at the end with the full corals grow and work your way backwards. In the past I used to put a lot of rock in my tanks and at the beginning it looked really nice but soon I found that everything was cramped with not too much room for corals to grow. I also saw many beautiful tanks with rocks coming out of the water. In the end the most important thing is that you like it. Another thing is to plan for the water flow in the tank, like were to place the powerheads/return line. I'm trying to figure out this things for myself as well. :)

Kman

Super Active Member
So tempting to stuff it right full :p but taking this tank nice and slow

It is worth going slow. We used to wait 6 months till we put corals in. If we did before that it was mushrooms, zoes and soft corals as they like more nutrients. Then when it was time we swapped them out for something else and got some extra cash as they grow pretty fast with nutrents.

Kman

Super Active Member
For the top rocks you can place encrusting corals and use the lower spots for corals that grow up into the water column.

Kman

Super Active Member
I do to actually. But not totally across the tank. I like when portions go to the top and other sections drop. I find it gives it a better depth to the tank and looks more natural because it is more zagged and not a straight line.

NateR

Update on the tank: have most of the fish I'm wanting in the dt now. So far here's the livestock list: Regal Tang, Purple Tang, Magnificent Foxface, 2 Red/Pink Fire Fish, Coral Beauty, 3 Blue Chromis, Pink Diamond Goby, Mandarin Goby and lawnmower blennie. All are eating like pigs and so far levels are pretty good, still need a bit more work on finalizing dosing regiment. Added a 65 Gallon Refugium tank and so far have mangroves and cheato as well as live rock. Just started to add a couple frags (Duncan and branching Monti) and getting some more sps next week :D