45g Shallow Rimless Peninsula Aquacultured Sps Reef

jroovers

Super Active Member
Recently moved and have put a lot of thought into my future reefing plans. I was going to refurb my 120G tank and set it back up. My basement however doesn't have any obvious spots for a laundry tub and drain, and was going to be a lot of work to prepare for a large volume of water. So I'm selling my 120.

I acquired a beauty of a tank from Tyler aka Teebone who had it set up as a frag tank, but he's a bit pre-occupied with his 210 gallon build at the moment lol. :) This was also Phi Delt Reefer's tank previously.

Hence the new build. 45 gallon rimless tank, with external overflow. Dimensions are 36" by 24" by 12". Big enough to keep me interested, but not overwhelming, hopefully the best balance between family and reefing.

vincetankfinalleftside2-1.jpg

The goal of this tank is to grow an aquacultured SPS reef solely from frags sourced from other hobbyists. I want to minimize the impact of this reef, so no wild or mari-cultured frags or colonies. Only frags that have been taken from corals in other captive reefs. Where possible, I would also like to source my fish from other reefers who are getting out or who want to move in a different direction fish wise.

Equipment:

250w MH DE Pendant with Phoenix 14K bulb
Supplemental RB Cree LEDs (salvaged from my 120)
40 breeder sump
Eheim 1262 return (split to feed refuge)
2 x Jebao RWs for flow
AquaMaxx/JNS ConeS CO-2 skimmer
2-part dosing on BRS dosers
Reefkeeper Lite

My thoughts are to run this as KISS. Heavy skimming, strong lighting, decent load, no GFO or pellets unless necessary. No supplements, additives, etc. other than 2-part dosing.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Here's some phone photos of the tank.

15942564936_48eef8bea2_b.jpg

15782311729_3546751738_b.jpg

15348704083_fd677964af_b.jpg

Tank will stick out from this wall. There is a crawl space behind the wall, and that is where I plan on sticking the sump to reduce equipment noise. It isn't too much of a crawl space, but definitely can't stand up straight under there. The tank is only 2' wide, so I figure it will fit here nicely and the bulkhead on the right won't be too much in the way, and will allow three sided viewing.

My plan is to skin the stand and overflow section, but leave the tank rimless and have a pendant MH light fixture combo MH/LED, with some DIY trim to make it all match.

15782614597_7a2922324e_b.jpg

This room is a separate small room that is first entered when coming down to the basement. I'm planning on making the rest of the room a "gallery" with many framed photos on the walls.

15781033880_442585a2b7_b.jpg

15782614587_c5af8b9f39_b.jpg

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
This tank has been around....

I have an extra 250 watt ballast if for some reason that wont doesn't work. I really should start cleaning out some of my fish junk.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I bought Phi Delt Reefers whole setup when he got out :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jroovers

Super Active Member
I bought Phi Delt Reefers whole setup when he got out :)

Gotcha, it is getting around :)

Was an awesome setup too,
Little bit jealous there Jordan

Its a very nice tank that is for sure. Not as big as I'd like, that will have to wait for another build.

What you doing with your 120 gallon???

Trying to sell it lol. The only way I may be able to get rid of it though is by putting it at the curb.

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Gotcha, it is getting around :)

Its a very nice tank that is for sure. Not as big as I'd like, that will have to wait for another build.

Trying to sell it lol. The only way I may be able to get rid of it though is by putting it at the curb.
Can I get a 30 minute heads up and your address? I really wish I had the funds to do the proper setup that I want.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Looking forward to seeing you transform this tank into a masterpiece!
Even though its on the smaller side, I think it has great potential. Its dimensions are ideal for some sweet top down photography shots :cool:
Looking forward to following your progress!

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
It's got cool dimensions, I'll be interested to see how you work the flow in the tank. I never did even set it up.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Can't wait to see what you do with this tank! Definitely has the opportunity for some great top down shots. Also interested to see how that reflector works out for you. If you don't end up liking it you're more than welcome to try some of the others I'll have sitting around once the 90 is shut down.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
It's got cool dimensions, I'll be interested to see how you work the flow in the tank. I never did even set it up.

I know Vince had issues managing the flow in the tank, as the overflow was not cut low enough, causing small waves to run over the top.

I had the overflow professionally modified and its now about a half inch lower. It can handle 1 mp40 without a problem.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I know Vince had issues managing the flow in the tank, as the overflow was not cut low enough, causing small waves to run over the top.

I had the overflow professionally modified and its now about a half inch lower. It can handle 1 mp40 without a problem.

Very nice. Let the flow blow!