45g Shallow Rimless Peninsula Aquacultured Sps Reef

jroovers

Super Active Member
Thats going to be a damn pretty system. Cant wait to see it up n running

Thanks! I can't wait to see it up and running as well.

Great progress Jordan. What other tasks are standing between you and getting this thing wet and filled with rock? (And are you even going to be using rock? )

Thanks Phil. I need to trim and skin the tank obviously, but that shouldn't take too long. I have most of the lumber cut and sanded, I just need to stain and seal it. I also need to do some plumbing, but that shouldn't take too long either, and I won't really need anything special to plumb the system as it is very straight forward. I have a JNS/Aquamaxx Co-1 on order, should be arriving in the next day or two. I need to put in a GFCI outlet in behind the tank, but that also shouldn't be too hard or time consuming, and I'm not too worried if I don't have that up while the tank is cycling. Also, while the tank is cycling I plan on getting my Reefkeeper up and setting up my ATO and RO/DI water system.

I'm planning on having a minimal amount of rock in the tank - its going to be nothing special, probably just a hump in the middle, sort of like a turtle back, for one central SPS island. That is what I'm thinking right now anyway, but that may change. I'm also planning on having LR in the sump.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Are you ordering another skimmer? I thought you may use your skimmer from your last system?

I was going to use the Co-2, but another member on here messaged me about it, and I ended up selling it. Initially I was going to tie in a frag system or another tank and have a much larger volume of water. Given that I'm going to have about 65-70 gallons of water, the Co-2 would have been a bit overkill, so I've ordered a Co-1 from Reefconcept. Although now I'm a bit concerned its on backorder as I ordered it last Friday and haven't heard anything back about it having been shipped, which is pretty odd, usually he's pretty fast. Hopefully I don't have to wait too long to get it.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Hopefully you get it soon, at least you are not depending on it for a current bioload

Very true. If that were the case I would have been on the phone already. I played that game once waiting for my SRO-2000 INT, not fun. In reality if it takes a couple weeks, not a big deal, I can always get the tank up and cycling anway, not like I'm going to have anything in there really. Probably new rock and new sand, and that's about it to begin with. Could do a few water changes initially and keep things in check until the skimmer is ready to go on line.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Another night of work, another update! Got the beam support system for my stand that will hold my suspended lighting pendent in place, and screwed, glued and given one coat of stain. Also coated the inside of the stand with urethane.

The white balance isn't close to bang on (its more yellow in the pictures than it will look when placed in the tank room), but I'm very pleased at how the colour of the stain looks, and how the wood turned out. Still needs another light coat of stain, and some varathane finish on top, but heading in the right direction, and nice to finally start seeing what I had visualized in terms of setup and design.

photo 1-4 by UpOnTheRoof, on Flickr

photo 2-4 by UpOnTheRoof, on Flickr

photo 4-2 by UpOnTheRoof, on Flickr

photo 3-4 by UpOnTheRoof, on Flickr

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Nice antique/industrial look. Some black cast iron fittings and a pulley to hang the lamp will complete the image.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Nice antique/industrial look. Some black cast iron fittings and a pulley to hang the lamp will complete the image.

Thanks. Never thought about a pulley, but that isn't a bad idea. Only issue is that I have points of attachment for the pendent at present, pulley would likely need one? The plan is to wrap my electrical in stisal rope and make it fit the theme. I also was thinking of some ornamental hooks from Lee Valley, only problem is that they seem to have them in a cast steel which sort of looks pewter in colour. No bronze or blackish hooks to speak of. I could always try looking elsewhere though.

jroovers

Super Active Member

Well I went ahead and did a bunch of measurements, I'm not going to have a ton of space for a long hanging pulley, but a small steel one would fit the bill nicely... went ahead and purchased this old steel one off of ebay. There are some really nice wooden ones, but they tend to be long top to bottom, and I've got plenty of stained wood now, so this old metal I think will look really nice. Thanks for the recommendation!

$_57 by UpOnTheRoof, on Flickr

$_58 by UpOnTheRoof, on Flickr

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Be careful or you are going to get a flood of requests from reefers wanting you to build them custom stands and light mounting systems

jroovers

Super Active Member
Be careful or you are going to get a flood of requests from reefers wanting you to build them custom stands and light mounting systems

Lol, I'm not too worried about that... if you come over and take a good look at the craftsmanship in person, its clear that I have no future in such business. :)

jroovers

Super Active Member
Continuing to make progress

16410723815_7589525e76_c.jpg

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
This is a total hipster tank. First, its green and earth "friendly". No wild corals, c'mon and second hand throw away fish. Your going to be taking in peoples unwanted fish like puppies. Secondly that wood finish and rough old pulley. Jesus....get with the times man.