a big shout out to big als... NOT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
I would like to take this time to thank big als. I believe the guys name was paul, one of the guys that run the place, for nearly crashing my tank, making me loose 2high end corals, and putting my tank into a cyano plague. This guy told me to lower my salt level down to 1.020 and backed it up by saying corals can handle all the way down to 1.012..and assured me everythig would be fine and that they keep there coral holding tank at 1.020. And just before this sold me reef safe ich medicine that was from reef safe. Now that ive lost 200$ in high end zoas, and acans, and have spent 100$ on bioclean, dont know if i really trust the staff there with any kind of knowledge regatding saltwater. And am STILL battling cyano almost 2.5 months later. Thanks Big Als l, greatly appreciated.

reeffreak

Super Active Member

Sounds like you should've done more research, there's lots of experienced people who shop there and never ever had issues. I've bought all my fish from there, no issues. You don't treat ich in a display tank, first mistake. Second mistake, lowering salinity level in a reef tank to 1.20 and thinking nothing ill will happen. Third mistake, not researching enough to avoid mistake 1 & 2. Fourth mistake ... Trying to pass the blame onto someone else.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
And i didnt inquire about it, he directed me to do it. I was there for the reef safe ich shit they had, cuz it worked the forst time, until i added this dreadful tang, that started it alll over again.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Shouldnt these guys have known what they were talking about, considering they deal with "saltwater" livestock. I thought i could trust them, by asking them.  Figured that was part of the job to, is to be knowledgable in ur field.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
reeferkeeper420 link said:
And i didnt inquire about it, he directed me to do it. I was there for the reef safe ich shit they had, cuz it worked the forst time, until i added this dreadful tang, that started it alll over again.

He directed you ? If he told you to dump bleach on your tank, would you ? Or would you research it first then come to your own conclusion?

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Shouldnt these guys have known what they were talking about, considering they deal with \"saltwater\" livestock. I thought i could trust them, by asking them.  Figured that was part of the job to, is to be knowledgable in ur field.

Usually a hobbyist should be knowledgable in the field also.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Well if you dont have the option of quaratining then you have to do something. And the lowering of salinity was directed by yhe "professionals". Im.sorry im.not as experienced as yourself to have all this knowledge. You start somewherre. Guaranteed when you started out if a so calldd professional would have dorexted you to do and said they keep all there tanks at that includong then ones they keep there corals in, would you not follow the instructions?? Probably! So yes this would directly be be there fault. No blame passed. I never said therr was a problem with there fish. I said there was a problem with knowledge in saltwater with some of the stuff. Not all.of them, but a good handful. Aarons good. And another younger guy.

reeffreak

Super Active Member

No I wouldn't have listened to him, I would have came here and posted my concerns and gathered as much info on the topic as I could before I came to any rash decisions.

reeffreak

Super Active Member

Well im sorry, i was in a panic, i had a regal angel i paid an arm and a leg for i didnt want to lose. Anyways i dont want to argue about this.

Research ... Research .... Research ....

Especially if you're paying arms and legs for things

vdubz

Aaron's good? He's great! He is very knowledgeable.  And why would you have high end corals if you didn't have knowledge? Should have started simpler...live and learn...

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I think in this habby your always living and learning.

Indeed it is. Some lessons are more expensive then others. In a case where you take the chance and do not have a QT system, the only true option is to let it run its coarse and hope that everything turns out. Then again, to move a tang to QT, you risk stressing out the tang even more, inevitably making the fish weaker and ich worse. You can feed with garlic and try a wrasse or cleaner shrimp to control it. Yes, my powder blue currently has ich. No idea where it came from. But it seems to be going now after about 2 weeks.

As a secondary lesson, stores do not know all. Especially when they are not a 'specialty' store. All pet stores really only know the basics and what is on a products label. I would not consider these store employees professionals, and that is not a dig at them, there is just too large of a knowledge base on all the animals for a small staff to know. (well Aaron at BA seems to know his shit though :D ) Stores like Sealife are specialized and the entire staff would know more vs Big Als where they hold several and completely different animals.

Then again we do not know all either. All we can say is what we have learned and after listening to all the information, you as the owner makes the decision which advice you take.

Petercar link said:
in this hobby.  ..yu spend amd spend. and when stuff dies ..yu dont blame  anyone ..EVER ..

Except for Neo, I blame him for everything.

reeffreak

Super Active Member

Tangs are notorious for having ich. I think people go way over board trying to deal with it. Feed, feed and feed. Keep him healthy to fight off the ich, all these chemicals don't reay help as you can see.

Like torx mentioned, use some garlic soaked foods to help. Keep him fat, if he's eating he's healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.