a big shout out to big als... NOT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I'll throw in my $.02  (and guys, try to keep this thread civil and to the point, we're all brothers in arms here).

Paul isn't the guy to talk to about salt.  I actually like the guy, but he is there to sell product, to pay his mortgage. Aaron is the guy to talk to and even then he has some questionable advice (API...??).  Joking aside, there's two things you never do:

1) Trust someone who is selling you something (except me) ;)
2) Treat ich in a salt tank... fish can be replaced instantly, a biosphere cannot.
3) Root for the Leafs
4) Mess with your salinity.

Many LFSs DO drop salinity on their fish tanks, as it can somehow help stressed fish, but it's not good for a ecosystem that relies on stability.  He was looking at it from the point of view of how he takes care of sick fish, and reduces his losses on livestock.  In that, he was right.  Now saying "dump this shit in", I know for a fact that LFSs do medicate their tanks, I mean they have tons of new arrivals of very upset sickly fish.  It 'works' for them.  Lastly, that's why you have to sooooo carefully acclimate new livestock to your tank, because if you checked the salinity, and if you could test for all the chemicals in the bag of water...you would likely be surprised. Again, this is what they need to do for the fish as they come roaring in, packed in ziplock sandwich bags and half dead. 

From now on check with us, we're here as a support system.  I above almost all else will be the first to bash LFS "advice".  I have a long standing chip on my shoulder because of things like you just experienced.  I can say that almost all of us here just want you to do really well in the hobby, so that we can buy coral and fish off you later :) 

Peace out everyone, don't make me get the scissors out, you know I will :)

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
reeferkeeper420 link said:
I kept them on a stable garlic diet for about 2 months.

I'll come take a look at your tank when I drop the stuff off today, see if I can't be of any assistance.

But At the end of the day you still have to research everything anyone tells you. Unless the person telling you is showing you their huge massively successful reef, take everything they say with a grain of salt

reeffreak

Super Active Member
harleymike link said:
Lowering salinity that low won't kill anything. I did it once by accident.
Nothing ever happened. You probably had bigger problems than that.

He lowered it to 1.12 ? That will kill corals.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
reeffreak link said:
[quote author=harleymike link=topic=7622.msg79000#msg79000 date=1391184541]
Lowering salinity that low won't kill anything. I did it once by accident.
Nothing ever happened. You probably had bigger problems than that.

He lowered it to 1.12 ? That will kill corals.
[/quote]

Not always. I have had mine go this low, only loosing a few corals. It was a slow process I believe. How quickly was it lowered?

reeffreak

Super Active Member
You don't treat ich in a reef tank by lowering salinity especially with high end corals in it. That's just none sense to even argue that.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
harleymike link said:
Ohhhh .012 holly crap. Ya thats bad. sorry. Misread.
Mine is sitting at .021 right now. I had an oooopsy.

Lol opposie .... Your right that's not a huge issue. But bring that down another .010. And you probably won't have much coral left.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I would disagree with anyone who claims to grow and maintain acros below a salinity of 1.017....
I'm not even going to bother putting my opinion in about what this thread was originally about.... Looks like the OP has got the point and will understand better for future happenings.

Jewel

That's true, we are learning every day, but in fairness you should of asked here, We all think some one else knows better than we do. I have learned a lot on my own but some of those lessons were costly, I like to come here and ask what others think before I experiment on my tank.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Geez, I was in this position a couple of years ago. Stupidly bought a powder blue on sale 9.99 from a London shop - yep, big ich problem, very sick fish, didn't look so at the store.  I came to the group, did some research on different medications, treatment protocols and made an educated decision. Should have known better and quarantined the tang, but didn't. Lesson learned. Set up a quarantine tank moved all the fish to a quarantine tank and treated the quarantine tank. Left the display tank empty of fish and running for over a month to let the ich run it's cycle and die and made positively sure that all ich was gone before returning all of them to the display, lost the powder blue ( found out after 2 others bought the same fish, same results - ich - dead tang) I was the only one who acquired ich out of it. Learned to buy from reliable sources, no too good to be true sales any more.
Brought another tang home a few weeks ago, yep, he showed ich from stress and decided this time around to leave well enough alone and soaked food in Kent Garlic Xtreme, wait it out and see if the fish could recover without intervention and within 2 weeks all signs of ich are gone. I was concerned that if I moved and treated that I'd only stress the fish again returning it to the display tank after treatment. I'm watching the tank like a hawk for any issues, but so far so good, no other signs of ich all are healthy and eating like the pigs they are.
What I learned was research and be prepared to do what needs to be done in order to treat. I have a tank sitting here just for quarantine purposes. I use it for mixing my salt water too.
I prefer to deal now with people I trust and they are out there, I have 2 go to stores, Sealife, cause they're like family and Big Al's London and I like private sales too.  I haven't met Aaron, one day I will, they're good at the store, but we need to research and make an educated decision. I blame myself for the whole scenario. I knew that tangs were very high risk for stress and ich but didn't quarantine. I am responsible for making the disaster decision.
Best of luck, lessons learned.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
a big shout out to big als... NOT!

Tang can not have ich at the store and get ich when you put in you tank .. Hence why you never see it at the store on the fish. When the fish stress more chance ich will appear.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I rarely take advice from anyone without doing some research that backs up what they are saying first. With that said,  Aaron and Paul are good guys, I buy all my fish tank related stuff from big als london or the Internet.. All my fish are from there too, Ich free I might add..

Status
Not open for further replies.