A Rimless Bedroom Shallow Reef Build

C

CRJ

cool. ill give you a before and after, goig to start at it tonight.  the waterfall is acrylic, so no razor blade for that sadly.

C

CRJ

Done cleaning finally!

Before tank:
20121120_222203-1.jpg

After:
20121122_000952.jpg

Before sump:
20121121_215730.jpg

After":
20121121_233842.jpg

Thoughts on the sump like this? i was thinking of using the 5 gallon on the side as my ATO holding tank. I will make a lid for it. I would have water enter from the right, go through a baffle, through a 12-14" wide fuge and then a last wall before going into the return chamber.

Thoughts? ATo is a JBJ, will have either a reef octopus or NAC 3.5 in there, either in the first or return chamber. (thinking first)

Nate

C

CRJ

I found a chip out of the silicone on the bottom of my tank. i noticed a little salt creep around the bottom lip outside the tank, ad was worried about it. Now this i think i found this tiny pin hole, can i just simply dry it out and close it up with some silicone? Id rather not re-seal the entire tank. its so minimal that some days i dont see any creep.

Thanks!

Nate

spyd

Super Active Member
Scary stuff!!! You can cut back some of the silicone, use rubbing alcohol to dry out the area and re-seal it. At this point, I would consider a new tank. I know it's not what you want to hear but a pin hole eventually will turn into a flood. Ticking time bomb. I would be getting my money back from whoever you bought it from. That all ways drives me nuts when people fail to mention something like that.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Getting an new tank would be the best option but obviously it's not one you want to follow... I believe you could reseal it, do what spyd said, but make sure it's 100% dry ....

I've had a cracked tank that was repair and these guys said, get a new tank and I was like pfffff way to expensive common, well 2 days later I have 50g of water on my floor, a huge pain in the ass and alot of money out the window... :/ 
Just saying, if it's possible. Get a new tank but if you feel confident with a repair thats an option as well

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
im not sure if its worth the money or not or if they even would but maybe miracles or someone with tank building experience would re assemble it for you if you took it all apart.

C

CRJ

ive sealed it off, if it persists ill look at a new display. Id like to run this one for atleast 6-8m months, but if it comes down to it thats ok. I ran fresh silicone in the hole and smoothed it over 2" each side of it.  We are slow at work, and being sales, id rather not spend hundreds on a new tank.

Stand is done!

20121122_175151.jpg

20121122_175207.jpg

C

CRJ

sent a quote out to a local builder for a 24x24x16 rimless tank.

With the scratches the tank i have now has, I'll get sick of it in a month. this is a sign to slow down, and do this right the first time. 24x24 cube will work for me!

C

CRJ

Also emailed miracles.

their 24x24x18 tank sounds nice. Does anybody know if they are flat bottom or raised bottom? I will probably need foam for the bottom if its flat.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
i had a large tank with alot of scratches, 180g... i thought, heck with it, it was a good deal i can get over the scratches... 6 months later and a sh)% tonne of work later i sold it and got a scratch free tank ....
i coulda saved alot of time and money....

just saying, that in this hobby... spend it all first and get it done right.....
you can listen to that advice and not regret it, or can do it the other way and regret it later...
i chose the later and i hate myself for it :p

C

CRJ

thats what me and my father are thinking. Im just going to sit back, take my time, order everything the way i want it and be happy with it.

Question....

my stand top is 48"x24". there are 2x4's every 12" from front to back. can i set say a 30"x20"x17" tall tank smack in the middle of this stand and be ok for support? top is a 1/2" sheet of plywood. i can put down a 1/2" sheet the same size as the tank if you think it would help.

I was thinking that a 24x24x18 tank will come right to the front edge as my stand is exactly 24" deep. if i can run a slight less width and go longer, that would be idea for me. i have direct supports for a 24x24 tank, with 2x4's running under the plywood where the tank's rim would sit.

would just a foam matt be enough? would i need a thicker plywood under the glass?

Nate

20121111_190452.jpg

spyd

Super Active Member
That stand would take that size tank easily. Crap, you could probably park a car on it.  ;) 3/4" plywood would be best on top, but 1/2" will be fine. Then, just use a piece of 1/2" Ridgid foam insulation board on top of that. If you wanted to, you could cross brace as well between the top supports right where the edge of the tank will be but I honestly don't think you need to.

With a 2ft x 4ft stand, why not go to a 90G or a 120G tank? It would prevent the itch to go larger down the road...  ;)

C

CRJ

The tank is going on my second floor and my dad is paranoid its going to end up in the kitchen. I know it wont, but then again i dont own the house so im sticking to a 50G max.

And yea, my first thought was 48x24x18, but ill wait till i have my own place. Also right now, i really cant afford that large of a tank. would be nice through!

C

CRJ

How I love updates! I went and picked up my new skimmer tonight, got it together and in the tank. Now i can setup my baffles and check one more thing off my list to do!

20121204_235505.jpg

20121204_235512.jpg

20121205_000029.jpg

davesolo29

Super Active Member
ah... you are the one.
I was at Flavios today and saw the skimmer sitting there.  I used to have the nwb150.  excellent skimmer for the money for sure.

Have you decided what tank you are going with yet?

C

CRJ

it sure is nice.

Currently the design is a 36Lx24Dx16T tank with corner overflow, rimless, starphire front, 1/2" glass, 1" drain and 3/4" return.

Im waiting on a reply from derek at miracles to make the order, then its 6-8 weeks wait as they are busy. The tank and my room are being moved before the new display shows up, and will be going in my finished basement. I will update as i go, but right now i wont have any new equipment coming in as i have everything except a second radion, plumbing and a few minor things that need to be done but are in no rush.

my goal on sunday is to clean up the basement as its being used for storage we've had since i can remember. (old kids stuff and things that need to be tossed) Then its setting up my room, making a trip to Leons for furniture (sofa, coffee table, rug..ect) and getting the tank setup. then just sit back and enjoy 3 feet of awesome reef view!

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
You have almost indentical to mine. From miracles.  Mine is. 36x24x18.  Make sure to tell them yu want the back blacked if yu want .. I got the coast to coast external overflow  with 3 holes. Amd 2 return holes on the outside on the external ends