A Rimless Bedroom Shallow Reef Build

C

CRJ

This is pushing on a thousand dollar 60 gallon. I wont take less then perfect, I dont care the reason.

Its back with them, they are in it now working to fix the issues. Not pleased with a repaired tank, so I will have to talk with them. I can say they are a bit like talking to a wall at times, as i specificly said when it gets there i want to meet with them to go over the issues before its torn down and repaired, and I want to pick it up, but that was in one ear and out the other as they are already in it.

I'll be going over it like a hawk when i go pick it up, lets hope its perfect so they dont need to do this again.

Finishing the stand sunday.

C

CRJ

Im going to go pick it up friday, ill report back once it home. Im building my truck over the next 4 months also, so its going to be an expensive spring!

jroovers

Super Active Member
Nice build, looks like it is going to be a great set-up!

As for Miracles, two years ago I was in contact with them regarding my tank.  I bought my tank used off an AP member here in London who told me the tank was built by Miracles.  After setting up in my basement, I had an issue with one of the seams at the very top of the tank.  I contacted them about getting a quote for a repair for all the seams, as well as a quote for a new custom made 120 - after several calls and emails, I finally got someone worth speaking to.  He asked me to send in photos via email, and demensions of the new tank I wanted quoted.  Did so, and never heard back. 

I always assumed that my tank wasn't in fact a Miracles tank given some of the imperfections, but maybe it actually is given the state your tank arrived in.

C

CRJ

all is well, they tank is fixed and they threw in free bulkheads and replace the scratched end with starphire.

Im pleased.

After a 2 month wait, its home.

20130125_151739.jpg

20130125_142037.jpg

20130125_142030.jpg

20130125_142026.jpg

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
right on man, that must have been a bit discouraging, but now its all fixed up and will look amazing when you get it going. i Cant wait to see how it turns out.

C

CRJ

Sump flow. first water test went well, no bubbles or noise, just the pump hum.

20130213_214221_zps78c79bf8.jpg

C

CRJ

Alright, plumbing is complete. sorta. well...almost.

im playing with the rock designs now, not sure how i want to do this just yet.

20130218_225841_zpsa6303f2e.jpg

20130217_135239_zpse02921ab.jpg

20130217_143902_zps0041c4d9.jpg

20130217_143910_zpsd08662ea.jpg

or
20130219_105636_zpsbc4e17fd.jpg

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
Very nice install, so clean....love it.

Your rock work looks great as well, I like the little arch you have in the middle.  Not to much rock, but enough to build a solid reef foundation and still have good flow all around the tank.

P

phi delt reefer

I would raise that final chamber in your sump for your return. Looks like it's normal operating level is only slightly higher than the level where the pump would run dry.

Here is  pic of my sump (similar to yours) - the water in the return section is low - it's usually right below the top of the last baffle.

DSCN0033.jpg

Build a stand for your skimmer if needed (I assume thats why you have that section so low. Even if you raise the final baffle you should still have plenty of room for water if the return back siphons.

C

CRJ

phi delt reefer link said:
I would raise that final chamber in your sump for your return. Looks like it's normal operating level is only slightly higher than the level where the pump would run dry.

Here is  pic of my sump (similar to yours) - the water in the return section is low - it's usually right below the top of the last baffle.

DSCN0033.jpg

Build a stand for your skimmer if needed (I assume thats why you have that section so low. Even if you raise the final baffle you should still have plenty of room for water if the return back siphons.
I have an ATO, i made the return chamber as small as possible for a reason. with the auto top off, the salinity level change will be VERY minimal. I use the JBJ ATO.

Salty Cracker link said:
Heh, I started with only one power bar too.  :)
i have a 600 watt battery backup, a heater, a skimmer and a pump to go under there, thats it. The light is run into the roof, i wont even use one bar.

BIGSHOW link said:
Very nice install, so clean....love it.

Your rock work looks great as well, I like the little arch you have in the middle.  Not to much rock, but enough to build a solid reef foundation and still have good flow all around the tank.

thanks, im still playing with it and have another 20lbs in my current tank that will go into the new one.