Anyone Ever Kept Discus?

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
This is what happens when you forget to rinse seachem matrix...
79df82b05d6528b0ae524e87fa6934c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sunnykita

Super Active Member
14 tanks in any size home is insane!

Hard to figure out how much room I'll have left with 9 discus and 2-3 angels. I 'm only going to get angels if I can find a breeder, and that's not looking likely so far. Cardinal tetras, zebra and bristlenose plecos, and some type of cory are all on my list. Thanks for suggesting some plant species. Aquatic plants are entirely new to me, so those give me a starting point.

The last fish I'd put in with Discus are Angels, they are for the most part nasty and the Discus would be bullied. With the money you're investing in the Discus why chance it? I'd stay away from any other cichlid in the tank with them, but that's just my humble opinion ;)

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Having trouble getting my tank past the 82 degree mark. I have 2 heaters in the sump, 1 x 100w and 1 x 150w. Both are marineland visi-therm. I'm thinking I need a different brand, as these one just can't seem to do what I need them to. Looking for recommendations. Never had the problem of water being too cold in the middle of summer!

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
I like the eheim jagers? I think thats what theyre called lol. Get the bigger one rated for bigger that your tank maybe a 200w or 2, worst that happens if it gets too hot is you dial it back.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Having trouble getting my tank past the 82 degree mark. I have 2 heaters in the sump, 1 x 100w and 1 x 150w. Both are marineland visi-therm. I'm thinking I need a different brand, as these one just can't seem to do what I need them to. Looking for recommendations. Never had the problem of water being too cold in the middle of summer!

I would keep the tank steady at 82 if you can. If they are struggling to keep and maintain 82 then I would look for another heater.

Ehiem heaters have gone downhill over the years IMO, they just aren't built the same as the old true ebo jäger heaters

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I like the eheim jagers? I think thats what theyre called lol. Get the bigger one rated for bigger that your tank maybe a 200w or 2, worst that happens if it gets too hot is you dial it back.
I agree with getting something that may seem like over kill. Been looking at this one
http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-s...ith-plug-in-type-electronic-temp-control.html
I would keep the tank steady at 82 if you can. If they are struggling to keep and maintain 82 then I would look for another heater
Discus are supposed to be kept in 84-86, and my heaters are constantly on to maintain 82. I thought I had heard bad things about jagers. Best to avoid them I guess!

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I agree with getting something that may seem like over kill. Been looking at this one
http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-s...ith-plug-in-type-electronic-temp-control.html

Discus are supposed to be kept in 84-86, and my heaters are constantly on to maintain 82. I thought I had heard bad things about jagers. Best to avoid them I guess!

I found and was always told 84-86 is for breeding.

Jagers are still probably one of the better heaters. Just nothing like they used to be.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I found and was always told 84-86 is for breeding.

Jagers are still probably one of the better heaters. Just nothing like they used to be.

I've read 86-88 for the young ones, 82-84 for the adults. I have a couple discus that are about 3", and the largest of the group is about 6". Aiming for about 85 degrees.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Bought a group of fish, which included 2 x 4" clown loaches. Crazy active so they need to go. $40 for the pair.
fe15ddce5db7fb75d2b322aaa4b8710c.jpg

sunnykita

Super Active Member
I wouldn't think the clowns would bother your discus, busy, but cleaners as well, and a great addition to most fresh water tanks ! Good luck with the Discus !

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I wouldn't think the clowns would bother your discus, busy, but cleaners as well, and a great addition to most fresh water tanks ! Good luck with the Discus !
They're not aggressive by any means, but they're like a couple kids on a sugar high wrestling around! All the discus hide in the back corner when the loaches are out, which is about 50% of the time. My green phantom pleco always seems to end up "in the way" as well.