April Potm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kman

Super Active Member
Does not everyone classify their corals? You get a new SPS coral and want to know what the care requirements are. So you google it and look up say Acroporia and what it needs for light requirements, placement, flow and food. Guess what you just used classification of corals to find out the species requirements. Look on any website when looking for a coral and depending on what type of coral you want you can look under the classification to help you find what you are looking for.This hobby is based on taxonomic validity for proper identification, it just comes down to how strict you want to adhear to it.

Marz

The Order Alcyonacea or soft corals contain minute spiny skeletal elements called sclerites in their tissue. Mushrooms belong to the Order Corallimorpharia and Corallimorpharia is an order of marine cnidarians closely related to stony corals, they resemble stony corals with soft fleshy tissue except they don’t have the calcium skeleton like stony corals.

I have to be honest. I haven't had time to truly research my corals, so this is all very interesting info. Makes me want to start digging into this info.

Kman

Super Active Member
I enjoy that kind of stuff. It is good to learn about classification of corals and will help fill out your knowledge base.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
yay i get to post my gorgs finally... betcha there will be a few wtf's with this one :D

IMG_20150420_102911.jpg

Kman

Super Active Member
I guess since mushrooms are being allowed in soft corals the gorgonian can be as well. ;p

Kman

Super Active Member
but gorgs are grouped in the soft corals and subclass is octocorallia :)

Yes they do belong to Octocorallia but they are still 4 distinct classes in that group that are all related. Blue coral, Soft corals, Sea pens and Gorgonians. Each is a distinct group of its own with Gorgonians being a suborder(related) to soft corals.

If this month was called post your LPS coral pictures would you allow SPS? Both are stony corals. This month is called post your soft corals not post your soft corals and related species. We have already established we are doing this loosely anyway. But to me when I hear post your soft coral I would post a soft coral and not something that is related. Just my 2 cents.

theyangman

Distinguished Member
Perhaps the title should be a little more specific into what you're looking for in regards to potm. If you wanted true soft corals under the Alcyonacea Order then it should have been clearly stated.

Keep - kingdom
Pond - phylum
Clean - class
Or - order
Froggy - family
Gets - genus
Sick - species

Ha I'll never forget that.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Alright.

This is getting out of hand.
Since the POTM is now just for fun and to show off some nice pics. It's not that specific.

Yes. I was the first to point out what wasn't "technically" a "soft" coral. All I was doing was pointing it out and never did say I wasn't going to add the photos to the contest.

I figure that anyone who wants to enter a photo in the GENERAL category, then GO FOR IT!

The more the better I say.

Let's keep this fun ladies and gents ;)

Kman

Super Active Member
I am not saying don't have fun. To me we have categorys of pictures for a reason. People should post pictures of their beautiful corals.

Status
Not open for further replies.