Baseball Talk

jroovers

Super Active Member
What a disappointment the jays have been.  I was more excited than ever for this team this year, and they have more than fallen short.  It will be interesting to see what happens down the stretch... I'd be shocked to see Johnson and a few others in a Jays uniform next year.  Time to start selling... and get some of those prospects back that they gave up to get Reyes, Beurlhe, Johnson and Dickey. 

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
reeffreak link said:
[quote author=Chewy link=topic=5656.msg56690#msg56690 date=1374839279]
I am sorry is baseball a real sport??

GO HOCKEY GO !!

+1, no doped up hockey players
[/quote]Your dreaming.  There are enhancing drugs in probably every sport imaginable.  I mean if they do it to ride a pedal bike do you really think they aren't doing it in hockey?

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Darryl_V link said:
[quote author=reeffreak link=topic=5656.msg56697#msg56697 date=1374848825]
[quote author=Chewy link=topic=5656.msg56690#msg56690 date=1374839279]
I am sorry is baseball a real sport??

GO HOCKEY GO !!

+1, no doped up hockey players
[/quote]Your dreaming.  There are enhancing drugs in probably every sport imaginable.  I mean if they do it to ride a pedal bike do you really think they aren't doing it in hockey?
[/quote]

Nothing but a dreamer ....

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
so here's a serious question... The leafs, raptors and jays are all owned by the wonderful and very fair bell and rogers conglomeration.  Do the jays and raptors fall into the same "doesn't matter if they win or lose" category as the leafs when it comes to ticket sales?  In this isntance I'm not taking a shot at the leafs, any leaf fan knows they will sell out even if they never win the cup again (which is likely).  Do the jays sell out if they are sucking?  Or do they even sell out when they are doing well?    Just curious, I think the leafs have suffered HUGE by their own success: why win when you can get summers off and still sell out every seat at every game? 

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Salty Cracker link said:
so here's a serious question... The leafs, raptors and jays are all owned by the wonderful and very fair bell and rogers conglomeration.  Do the jays and raptors fall into the same \"doesn't matter if they win or lose\" category as the leafs when it comes to ticket sales?  In this isntance I'm not taking a shot at the leafs, any leaf fan knows they will sell out even if they never win the cup again (which is likely).  Do the jays sell out if they are sucking?  Or do they even sell out when they are doing well?    Just curious, I think the leafs have suffered HUGE by their own success: why win when you can get summers off and still sell out every seat at every game?
the jays rarely sell out any more but a sell out is close to 50000 people which sometimes they get when Boston or the Yankees come to town. Normally on average they get about 20000 a game.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Big_Als_London link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=5656.msg56715#msg56715 date=1374863260]
so here's a serious question... The leafs, raptors and jays are all owned by the wonderful and very fair bell and rogers conglomeration.  Do the jays and raptors fall into the same \"doesn't matter if they win or lose\" category as the leafs when it comes to ticket sales?  In this isntance I'm not taking a shot at the leafs, any leaf fan knows they will sell out even if they never win the cup again (which is likely).  Do the jays sell out if they are sucking?  Or do they even sell out when they are doing well?    Just curious, I think the leafs have suffered HUGE by their own success: why win when you can get summers off and still sell out every seat at every game?
the jays rarely sell out any more but a sell out is close to 50000 people which sometimes they get when Boston or the Yankees come to town. Normally on average they get about 20000 a game.
[/quote]

So it does matter if they win or lose? Aren't you on vacation? Can you come in and get me some mexican turbos and some FUEL?  ;)

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
I think if they are losing 20k is about there average attendance unless bposton or the Yankees are in town. If they are winning like they did with their 11 games win streak I think attendance was up.

I am back Sunday. You can get some fuel and Mexicans then.

jroovers

Super Active Member
This is a great time of year for sports.  This spring, I really thought the Jays would be in the thick of it in the fall, but alas, like so many others I was wrong  :?  At least the Tigers are looking prime to go on another post season run, assuming they can turn this little bit of a recent slump around. 

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
The Jays are out so now I am on to watching my 49ers kick some ass...

I do think that Boston, Detriot and the yankees will be entering the playoff picture this year.

I think maybe I will cheer for the pirates or something.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
The Jays are out so now I am on to watching my 49ers kick some ass...

I do think that Boston, Detriot and the yankees will be entering the playoff picture this year.

I think maybe I will cheer for the pirates or something.

You couldn't root for boston to save your life couldya  ;)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I figured I should start this before I get kicked out of the hockey talk post. Once baseball season starts its hard for me to follow another sport.

I have also made a bold prediction about my blue jays
By the allstar break they will be 10 games over 500 and 4-5 back in the division which I think will put them in great position for the division title.

WOW.  Can you pick the lottery numbers too bro?    :)

theyangman

Distinguished Member
Toronto Blue Jays:

INCLUDING their stint of back to back World Series wins in 92 & 93 they have made the playoffs they have only MADE the playoffs 5 times since they came into the league in 1977, and they have not made the playoffs SINCE they won the world series in 93. That is 20 years of missing the playoffs straight. They are in prime position to miss again this year as well. **Edit** looks like they have been out of the playoff picture since July 23rd. (I don't follow baseball that much anymore)

Toronto Raptors:

They have made the playoffs 5 times in their history as well (coincidentally) and 4 of the 5 times lost in the first round. The other time they lost in the conference finals (which sounds good, but is actually just what they call the second round for those of you who don't follow basketball)

Toronto Maple Leafs:

Bit more of a story here as they date back to 1917 if I recall, and obviously have a storied history of cup wins but this was done in bulk when there was not the level of competition of even quasi modern day sports. Taking into account Post lock out hockey (all those stupid rule changes), aside from last year the leafs never once qualified for the playoffs. ('05 - '12) and even last year was only due to the weakness in the East. This year with Detroit moving over and into the leafs direct division I see them finishing 3 or 4th from the bottom. Maybe ahead of Buffalo, Florida, and maybe Tampa (cause tampa sucks bad too) The Eastern Conference in relation to the Western is still wildly unbalanced with such strong perennial contenders coming from the Pacific division. Even still their last hurah was back in 1967 when they last hoisted the cup. Oh and since '67 they haven't made it to the big dance either, they have only made it to the conference finals 5 times since that time.

So yeah, Toronto is just a curse.