blob-79's 75gallon build!!

Blob-79

Super Active Member
So I decided its time to do my build thread, its been alot of work over the last 3 weeks

First step was resealing the tank, and installing an overflow box. I opted for a straight weir design. Mainly to improving surface skimming.

Painted the back of the tank black.

So here is the beginning of my disaster :) I prebuilt the stand as you see it here. To make for a little faster transition. So I slowly drained my 55 gallon into my new 50 gallon sump, slowly moving corals over to the sump as the water line dropped.

corals in sump

corals in sump

corals in sump

ugh..what a mess :) ( my wife loved it lol)

So I got the tank put in place, Filled it with fresh RO water, salt and all that good stuff. couple pieces of live rock, and new substrate. Went with a shallow bed.
After a day of circulating and getting up to temperature, I rigged up my drain to drain over to the sump, housing the corals, and began a slow flow, so slowly mix the old water with the new water, at the same time, aclimating my corals and fish.

more circulating :) Circulated for about a day and a half.

So then I slowly added more live rock, and coral rock to the display, not sure I like the aquasaping yet, time will tell. Think I might want more live rock now too :)

I then moved the 50 gallon sump into place after draining into buckets. and then refilled.

Got the facing put on the stand, and put a piece of plywood over the lights, they were giving me a headache :)

So here The stand is stained

stained the doors I made

and here it is all finished and assembled.

Next is showing some corals, they all seemed to take to the move well. other then the xenia..but oh well..its xenia Nuclear green trumpets receaded quite a bit, but have since started to make a comeback. thank god

green staghorn

was told this is "youcanthaveit" monti :) its pissed off in this pic, did it on purpose to see the colour on the base, colour doesnt show well in the pic however.

acro colony, cant remember the name..think its a. nana.

some acans

blurry..red digitata, and purple tip acro on left

sunset milli

ginormous bubble coral, gsp and a green hairy mushroom

random pic...

more of acans, the one on the left didnt like the move much either, but it showing signs of coming back.

clowns in their anemones..notice the patch of eggs above the one on the right on the rock..didnt think they would lay eggs so soon after the move.

Just made the hood last night, its hinged, so makes life easy :) Just gotta find some crown molding to put on it, then just stain and finish.

I had a minor diatom bloom after 4 days after the change..its much less now, and is slowly disipating.
I also boiled some of my rock to get rid of a bunch of mojano's so as you can see some of my rock in the pics has gon green..its just gotta mature again. no biggy

Keep in mind these are not recent pics, they were taken pretty much right after the move, Everything all in all did well, few things receaded, but as of today are all showing signs of coming back, other then the xenia, however that was expected, Ive been lowering my nutrients over the last month..aiming for a low nutrient, sps dominated tank. Whereas I was fairly high nutrient lps before. Should have the final pics up sometime soon, also showcasing some more corals I got from rick...some of them are amazing :)

Hope this helps some people doing a change themselves, and thanks for sharing in my disaster area :)

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
that seemed like it went over well. im in the same boat as you just were except im transfering from a 55 to a 135. alot more water and because of the mass volume of the tank i had to use tap water. wasn't about to pay for RO water in that volume. Anyway, i think im gonna take a diff approach, im going to let the tank mature for a month or so before i even transfer everything over, because i don't want to intro anything in my tank now to a high nutrient in the new water. I hope i have great luck like you. congrast good job

Blob-79

Super Active Member
de-thumbnailed all the images, so you dont have to click on them to see bigger.....freakin hate that :)

C

Cal_stir

Looks great!

congrats on the successful transfer, it,s a ton of work

Blob-79

Super Active Member
So got some new pics..got that hunk of plywood off that was covering my lights lol

so lets start out with a bang..or was it a snap...this is the bruising in my elbow from breaking my arm.....up by my shoulder. so close to the shoulder they couldnt cast it... 8)

Here is the new hood assembled on top the tank..had to make sure the crown molding cleared the walls when on the hinges

For some reason I took one with the flash off.....

and here is the hood laying in my kitchen after the first coat of stain

Blob-79

Super Active Member
So everything is complete, other then some modifications I want to make in the sump, planning on probally doing some experiments with bio pellets, see how they work. depending how I like the bio pellets come fall time I will be building a sulfur reactor, and ill convert the bio pellet reactor to a ARM reactor to buffer the effluent of the sulfur reactor. Either way I will most likely at some point removing my RDSB.

So here is a before picture....

And VOILA!

Blob-79

Super Active Member
Well its almost that time again....for those of you that frequent the chat, you all know im about to do a considerable modification to my system.

long story short, I am going to be moving my sump to the basement, as well as add 2 more tanks to the system in the basement. 1 being a detrius trap/water change tank, the second being a frag tank. Many thanks to all the people who gave me great deals to make this all possible :p And a special thanks to Neopimp for showing me what not to do when it comes to basement sumps :p

I plan on starting the build this weekend to some extent, I will try to post pictures as I go. So far all i have done is the tanks im adding are now re-sealed :p and some drawings lol

So to get this thread going again, here are some updated pics

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
what ... what did i do wrong :) lol

If you need any tips I have a TON

Blob-79

Super Active Member
lol..thanks guys

Here is my new to me frag tank light. Figure it should do well on a 12" deep tank:p  I gotta say, TeK really stepped it up with their elite series lights. 3 fans...that are actually quiet. reflectors that look identical to the ati reflectors...

*pictures deleted accidently ...

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
i sure hope the progression goes smoothly for you blob,looks like you got one helluva plan and I'm sure its gonna be a beauty when its complete,hope you take lots of pics so we can get a real close look