Careers vs reef tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
We have alot of people on here from all over the place. Men and women who all share the same love for this particular hobby.  I have a friend who commented on my tank and says only rich people can afford stuff like that. I told him that people who have millions to spare and buy reef tanks generally do it to show off, but true hobbyists are in it for the beauty and sheer awesomeness of the hobby and you don't need to have a lot of money to fall in love with the hobby. And I've definitely heard that type of comment before. That being said, I made me curious as to what everyone on this site does for work. Just to prove to anyone looking that we are just average people, nothing out of the ordinary.

It would also give us a better idea of who we are talking to and help us respect each others experience in certain fields of expertise...

If anyone feels that this invades your privacy , don't comment :)

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Careers vs reef tanks

Ill start:
I'm a real estate agent , I work out of Tillsonburg Ontario. Before Real estate and most of my highschool years i was a roofer :)
I'm only 19 and have had salt water aquariums for almost a year now, and fresh water for years and years before that.

Giglio324

Im gianmarco. I just recently got a bigger tank set me back a pretty penny but I'm a reefaholic what can I say. The 20g I have wasn't cutting it.
I'm a 3rd year civil engineering student I'm 20 years old and work as an estimator for coco paving during my off semesters. I'm the farthest thing from rich. I still live at home with my parents all my aquarium is forced to stay in the basement out of sight but I guess it is my own little world lol

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Man I feel old. My name is Aaron and I am 32. I went to school for Hotel Restaurant Management but I did not finish.  I was managing a kitchen for a small bar in Welland Ontario (I won an award for best chicken wings in the Niagara region in 2000-2001). Working at the Bar till 3 in the morning every day then going to school for 8 burnt me out so I dropped out of school. I also worked as a lab assistant for 3 years and in the warehouse at gamma-dynacare medical labs. During my time at the lab I helped out at Big Al`s putting away fish shipments till the wee hours of the morn.  In 2004 my best friend bought Big Al`s and the rest is history.  I am now the General Manager.

Aaron

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Giglio324 link said:
Im gianmarco. I just recently got a bigger tank set me back a pretty penny but I'm a reefaholic what can I say. The 20g I have wasn't cutting it.
I'm a 3rd year civil engineering student I'm 20 years old and work as an estimator for coco paving during my off semesters. I'm the farthest thing from rich. I still live at home with my parents all my aquarium is forced to stay in the basement out of sight but I guess it is my own little world lol

haha same here, i have my tank in my room... shame but i work from home quite often as well so its viewed frequently :p

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Big_Als_London link said:
Man I feel old. My name is Aaron and I am 32. I went to school for Hotel Restaurant Management but I did not finish.  I was managing a kitchen for a small bar in Welland Ontario (I won an award for best chicken wings in the Niagara region in 2000-2001). Working at the Bar till 3 in the morning every day then going to school for 8 burnt me out so I dropped out of school. I also worked as a lab assistant for 3 years and in the warehouse at gamma-dynacare medical labs. During my time at the lab I helped out at Big Al`s putting away fish shipments till the wee hours of the morn.  In 2004 my best friend bought Big Al`s and the rest is history.  I am now the General Manager.

Aaron

and we have a chef...  8)  awesome

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Brandon...if your in real estate you should snuggle up to salty cracker.  We refer to him as mr. mill around here AKA i gots mine go get your own!    Hahahah

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Careers vs reef tanks

Real estate is like used car sales....

Oh wait, that's the home inspector I'm thinking about, any of those on here?

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Careers vs reef tanks

Dave Olbach - 29 years old.

Held many jobs and diplomas.

- started into Aviation Flight technology - aka a Pilot at sault college.  Still hold a commercial pilots licence.

- took robotics and automation at fanshawe. Worked in that field programming assembly lines and welding robots mainly in the automotive markets.  Until the industry crapped out.

- too Chemical and Power Engineering Tech at Lambton.  Got a job at Cf Industries while on coop placement.  Currently am an Industrial locomotive operator there.  But have gotten a position in the ammonia production plant as an operator. Just waiting to transfer.

So if you need programming/flying/engineering advice. I'm your guy.  I think I have more fun with the gadgets and equipment for my tank than the live stock.  :)

spyd

Super Active Member
Re: Careers vs reef tanks

Neopimp link said:

- started into Aviation Flight technology - aka a Pilot at sault college.  Still hold a commercial pilots licence.

- took robotics and automation at fanshawe. Worked in that field programming assembly lines and welding robots mainly in the automotive markets.  Until the industry crapped out.

- too Chemical and Power Engineering Tech at Lambton.  Got a job at Cf Industries while on coop placement.  Currently am an Industrial locomotive operator there.  But have gotten a position in the ammonia production plant as an operator. Just waiting to transfer.

So if you need programming/flying/engineering advice. I'm your guy.  I think I have more fun with the gadgets and equipment for my tank than the live stock.  :)

Very cool!!! I'm thinking roadtrip!! All we need to do is find you a plane and we can all check out some wild corals in Australia!!!  ;)

xxmurrxx

Careers vs reef tanks

Neopimp link said:

Looks like a typical engineer hard at work lol.

You have your 4th,3rd class power engineer cert?

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Careers vs reef tanks

Darryl_V link said:
Brandon...if your in real estate you should snuggle up to salty cracker.  We refer to him as mr. mill around here AKA i gots mine go get your own!    Hahahah

I don't get it :(

spyd

Super Active Member

Brandon link said:
[quote author=Darryl_V link=topic=3532.msg30154#msg30154 date=1352808488]

I don't get it :(
[/quote]

I think you need to read between the lines on that one. ;)

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Been driving truck now for 3 months, however before that I spent the better part of 15 years in call centers, mostly working for 2 of the big 3 car companies. Holding every job starting as an agent on the phones up to liaison between companies. I have even worked as an arbitrator with one of the big 3 car companies and defended in their BBB cases (aka Lemon Law).  Call centers do not pay accordingly for the title/job that you are doing though to say the least. I got my AZ license this spring and a job driving truck 3 months ago.

Average life/bills here, wife, 3 kids, car payment, mortgage payment, oh...and child support payment. I did a lot of buy and resell when I got into this hobby and until recently, I had next to no personal $$$ invested. Currently have only about $1500 out of pocket over the last 2 years. However that is mostly due to the fact that I just dropped funds on 2 LED fixtures and a new RO/DI unit and a few other big toys.

Anyone can afford this hobby IMO, as long as you stay within your means. My first tank was a 20gal rimless with a clown fish and some softies (mushrooms, pulsing xenia, feather duster and hammer). Was a great little tank and was less then $200 with everything to get started.

iantower

Ian here, 29, and like most guys in Sarnia I work in the valley. For me it's Nova Chemicals as an operator. Didn't get into the hobby until I was out of school because of the belief that it was to rich at the time, which I kinda agree with haha... I mean if I had to choose when I was a single guy just working and going to school whether to buy some 2-part and a new metal halide bulb or go out that weekend and cause some hell, well I chose the hell. But when I graduated I got the chance to do both :) Now married and a father my biggest obstacle is trying to hide what I spend from the wife and continually try to convince her that bigger is better, of coarse we're talking about tanks there ;)

R

reeffreak

Careers vs reef tanks

My names is Pat  I'm 27 and I'm an alcoholic, my wife told me to join these meetings as its a good support group ....

All joking aside I really am 27, currently taking protection,security and investigation at Lambton College. I have been in the hobby now for 8 years and I'm a lifer

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca

reeffreak link said:
My names is Pat  I'm 27 and I'm an alcoholic, my wife told me to join these meetings as its a good support group ....

Where did she find the support group for dealing with wives??? I need one...or is drinking the group you joined to deal with it lol :D

R

reeffreak

Careers vs reef tanks

She thinks it was for the alcohol but really it's about her

Status
Not open for further replies.