Careers vs reef tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

dale

hi, my name is dale,.,,., i am a reefaholic.,,., i am 41, and i am a multi talented and very skilled tradesman, i do renovations, repairs, new ,old,, i do it all,., i consider myself extremely intellegent and extremely poor .,.,i started out buying a 10g established reef about 5 years ago, went to 29g then 45 and now i have a 65g and a 100g fowler.,,. ive built my own tanks, lids, stands ect, and just about anything to keep my costs down., starting my new recroom/fishroom today!....

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Careers vs reef tanks

23, electrical engineer on paper. 

Alarms, CCTV, Access Control, Home Theatre... And basically anything low voltage. First tank was a 29 gallon biocube which is still running, 40 gallon frag tank.

spyd

Super Active Member
I'm Derek and I am 31 yrs old. I run an Electrical & Automation company. I by no means am in the hobby simply as a show-off piece though. I am truly passionate about the hobby. My wife actually got me started in it after purchasing my first setup as an anniversary gift. She honestly didn't know what the heck she was getting herself into! LOL. I bet she regrets that purchase now!  ;D

I enjoy the hobby as it is very demanding and yet very rewarding as well. I have 2 young kids and the hobby gives me some time to myself to tinker away at night and get some peace and quiet. Plus, I have met some very cool people through the hobby with similar interests.

All in all, this hobby can be very affordable! It all depends on how far you want to go with it or how addicted to pricey corals and fish you become...  ::)

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Careers vs reef tanks

xxmurrxx link said:
[quote author=Neopimp link=topic=3532.msg30156#msg30156 date=1352809884]
Dave Olbach - 29 years old.

Held many jobs and diplomas.

- started into Aviation Flight technology - aka a Pilot at sault college.  Still hold a commercial pilots licence.

- took robotics and automation at fanshawe. Worked in that field programming assembly lines and welding robots mainly in the automotive markets.  Until the industry crapped out.

- too Chemical and Power Engineering Tech at Lambton.  Got a job at Cf Industries while on coop placement.  Currently am an Industrial locomotive operator there.  But have gotten a position in the ammonia production plant as an operator. Just waiting to transfer.

So if you need programming/flying/engineering advice. I'm your guy.  I think I have more fun with the gadgets and equipment for my tank than the live stock.  :)

Looks like a typical engineer hard at work lol.

You have your 4th,3rd class power engineer cert?
[/quote]

4th working on 3rds:)

xxmurrxx

Careers vs reef tanks

Neopimp link said:
[quote author=xxmurrxx link=topic=3532.msg30158#msg30158 date=1352811223]
[quote author=Neopimp link=topic=3532.msg30156#msg30156 date=1352809884]

Looks like a typical engineer hard at work lol.

You have your 4th,3rd class power engineer cert?
[/quote]

4th working on 3rds:)
[/quote]

Awesome, my father in-law just got his 3rd, I have my "5-th" which doesn't mean too much in ontario, need some hours to be able to get my 4th.

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
I am the Bigshow...

Just kidding.  I work in the mining industry currently working as the Senior Mine Hydrologist for the De Beers Victor Mine in N. Ontario (its located about 100km west of Attawapiskat) ....If you feel like looking for it.

I am 29 years old, and prior to working for De Beers I use to work at AMEC as a Environmental Consultant (field of hydrology). Also, done some fisheries work, drilling, and some other aquatic habitat studies and surveys.

spyd

Super Active Member
BIGSHOW link said:
I am the Bigshow...

Just kidding.  I work in the mining industry currently working as the Senior Mine Hydrologist for the De Beers Victor Mine in N. Ontario (its located about 100km west of Attawapiskat) ....If you feel like looking for it.

I am 29 years old, and prior to working for De Beers I use to work at AMEC as a Environmental Consultant (field of hydrology). Also, done some fisheries work, drilling, and some other aquatic habitat studies and surveys.

Hydrology and reef keeping... Seems like a match made in heaven! LOL.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Careers vs reef tanks

I am supposed to get my 2nds as well.  The plant itself is rated 1st class so I could go all the way

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
dale link said:
hi, my name is dale,.,,., i am a reefaholic.,,., i am 41, and i am a multi talented and very skilled tradesman, i do renovations, repairs, new ,old,, i do it all,., i consider myself extremely intellegent and extremely poor .,.,i started out buying a 10g established reef about 5 years ago, went to 29g then 45 and now i have a 65g and a 100g fowler.,,. ive built my own tanks, lids, stands ect, and just about anything to keep my costs down., starting my new recroom/fishroom today!....

heh as an ex renovation company owner I would have killed you for doing a bulkhead in 2x4 when 2x2 is perfectly adequate :)

I may suggest putting safe n sound in the ceiling joists.  Helps with noise, fire, and keeping heat in the basement.  Not too much more expensive either. ;)

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Ok ill share.  This does kinda feel like a meeting.  My wife does say im addicted to this hobby.  Could be worse i guess.

Im 33yrs with they typical wife and 2 young kids.  As for careers ive been lucky to nail a few good jobs with my college degree.  Currently my title is telecom/microwave technologist.  Although my knowledge on microwave is pretty weak, my specialty is fiber optic metro and long haul networks.  I spent 6yrs working for bell in central offices from Windsor to Toronto.  Currently i work for Hydro One Telecom (a tiny subsidiary of hydro one) were we compete against the big telecos for commercial business.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Or geeks....how ever you want to put it.hahah.  I think it does attract more technically inclined and DIY types.  Maybe just the fact that these skills come in handy in this hobby.

V

vander45

i am eric i'm 25 and  am a butcher. i have had saltwater for the last 3 years. i am deffinately addicted and cannot spell.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
vander45 link said:
i am eric i'm 25 and  am a butcher. i have had saltwater for the last 3 years. i am deffinately addicted and cannot spell.

nope, not all techys and geeks...  ;D

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
im not really a techy
i love to diy but im terrible at it  ;D

im not really a trug hugger, but im a huge animal person..
2 horses, 6 cats, 3 dogs, tons of fish, hedgehogs, siblings, and around 2000 little pigs are the animals on our farm  :p

country born and raised and proud of it :)

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
spyd link said:
[quote author=Darryl_V link=topic=3532.msg30195#msg30195 date=1352824723]
Techy
DIYer
Nature lover

I would bet that all reefers fall into one or more of these categories.

I just like all the pretty colours...  ;D
[/quote]

8)

Status
Not open for further replies.