Careers vs reef tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Well, out of all the admitted ages here, I think I am the oldest at 48 years young:D  I think I fall into the DIY and Nature lover categories.  I have always loved animals and was going to become a Veterinarian (hence my nickname).  Somewhere along the way, I fell in love with nursing and worked 22 years in a hospital before leaving and becoming a Community nurse.  The pay is MUCH less but the satisfaction is 100% better.  :)

I have 3 children ages 22, 20 and 13 and a wonderful husband who truly supports me in this hobby (and would like me to spend more even if I won't) - how often do you hear that!  Along with my tanks I have a dog, 2 cats, 2 guinea pigs, an African Grey parrott, a Cockatiel, a Lovebird and a turtle.

My first tank was a freshwater 20 gallon tank which I started 20 years ago.  It has since been upgraded to a 65 gallon tank.  My second tank was the culmination of all my dreams that I never thought I would be able to do and that is my seahorse tank.  I have wanted one for as long as I can remember and finally made it a reality 2 years ago.  After seahorses, a Reef tank seemed a good idea because I found other beauties out there that I would like to have.  I started the Reef tank this June.

NOTE:  I started both saltwater tanks on less pay.  It is definitely possible to do as long as you don't overspend and get into debt.  I have always been a good money manager and, I think, have done very well in life - not by having a high paying job - but by waiting for what I want, researching, saving and going for it.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
My wife was an emerg nurse for years, left because of the negative atmosphere, went into medical sales.  Pay is WAY better and she only has to visit with nurses, instead of stuck on 12 hr shifts.  Just food for thought... :)

jeff.l

Re: Careers vs reef tanks

I will weigh in here especially since I have something a little different.  I am just finishing up my university degree in political science and economics with a specialization in international development I get to start my masters in political science in September and am considering law school after the fact.  I work at a local fish store A) to pay for school B) to lower the cost of the reef and C) because I am hopelessly addicted.  I run a weipro cube and just plugged in my 135 last night.  I alsm maintain about 60 freshwater tanks that i breed dwarf cichlids and killifish.  I am pretty sure that's about as crazy as I can get

Sent by little green men....

Giglio324

Re: Careers vs reef tanks

jeff.l link said:
I will weigh in here especially since I have something a little different.  I am just finishing up my university degree in political science and economics with a specialization in international development I get to start my masters in political science in September and am considering law school after the fact.  I work at a local fish store A) to pay for school B) to lower the cost of the reef and C) because I am hopelessly addicted.  I run a weipro cube and just plugged in my 135 last night.  I alsm maintain about 60 freshwater tanks that i breed dwarf cichlids and killifish.  I am pretty sure that's about as crazy as I can get

Sent by little green men....
You got me beat for a university student your a full blown addict lol that's awesome tho. When I was 13 I was at the big Al's in London when it used to be at the big location on Wellington and they offered me a job. To bad I'm from Windsor I'd probably still be there lol

mark0933

I'm Mark, I've been around reefs a long time and I'm 39.  I'm a Chartered Accountant so most of you will assume (before you meet me) I'm one of those assholes who simply wants something pretty like living art and opens my cheque book for it and couldn't care how things work.

Many people see that I have a big tank and think I paid a fortune for it - I got it used and sanded and buffed the acrylic myself.  I do all my own plumbing and electrical, this hobby is fun for all types of people, and don't assume anything about anyone...we all do it for different little joys.

Mark

davesolo29

Super Active Member
Im Dave.
Im just a poor roofer.  Even tho i own my own small company, i am likely the lowest paid on the crew when you factor in the amount of hours i work on and off the roof.  I would have to say that I spent more than i could realistically afford on my tank, but its worth every penny.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
and don't assume anything about anyone...we all do it for different little joys.
Your right Mark.....I know what happens when I assume.

Sorry guys but I was just having fun with it.  Truth is you dont fall into the first two category (DIYer, Techy) than we all fall into the third, which is we love nature because we love our little eco systems.

OR MAYBE WE ALL LIKE PLAYING GOD......muhahahahaha.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Careers vs reef tanks

Not gonna lie Darryl I can't say the thought hasn't crossed my mind :)
we honestly all have an amazing piece of nature in our homes. I consider my self privileged to call such a beautiful and awesome hobby my own.

shipwreck

Ok since every one else has joined I will play too.

My name is Rob and I have been an addict now for 28 years (I'm 37 you do the math), owning a tank for 18 years.  I fell in love with the hobby when I was a kid and saw a nurse shark in a tank in Florida. When I went to school and moved to an apartment across from big Al's and that was it. I current work as a controls engineer for an automotive plant. Over the years my job has hindered my tank as much as it has supported it between the hours or travel ( I right this from a hotel in Germany)

Seggsy

Wow - great thread - thought it must be a year old when I saw it was 4 pages.  I am 40 with a wife and two daughters (9 and 13).

I am definitely in the nature category - not a tree hugger, but when I get back from a family vacation I usually have more pictures of the wildlife I've seen (and caught and played with if possible) then the family.

I am also an accountant (or rather, I DO accounting, I AM just a reef geek) and I try and do this hobby on a no cost/low cost basis.  I am saving for LED's (I think, might stay T5 one more year, or go Chinese LED now, or better LED in a bit) so I am fragging, selling, trading my heart out.  (and no, I don't even want to calculate hydro when thinking of cost....unless someone wants some $100 kenya trees).

When I was 18, I had an iguana in a 55g tank that I bought for $20, cause it leaked.  Iguana died (wasn't told he couldn't digest peaches) and I washed the tank out....it held water!  Turned into community freshwater, then to cichlids, then 18 years later someone had a kijiji ad to swap his saltwater 55g for my fresh!  Tinkered for a year, then sold that and used the proceeds to buy a nicer 75g with overflow about 3 years ago.  Now I am overstocked with coral.....if you are selling a frag I don't have and I have room, then I NEEEED it.

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
Kyle here akA (to everyone) Karl. 29 year old. Married with two young kids 3 and 9 months.  Went to st.clair college for three years as electronic engineer. Currently a janitor at Chrysler Windsor assembly plant. Absolutely love my job. Would do it forever lol. Careers aside, been reefing for 3 yrs. started a 55 gallon. Upgraded to a 135. Def a lifer. However lately with my tank going crazy n crashing I've thought about quitting. Super jealous of all you that keep sps bc I cannot ;).  Striving for perfection (aka Darryl). One day

msteane

Michelle here.  I went to Guelph for an undergrad in physical science and stats and a master's in statistics.  I've been working for RIM as a Statistical Data Analyst for the past 3 years as my main career.  I also make and sell jewelry and jewelry tutorials online (CrossedWiresJewelry.com).  To help finance my reef addiction I buy stuff (liverock, corals, fish) on kijiji in bulk from people shutting down tanks.  Quarantine the fish and corals, and cure the liverock.  Then part out and resell (although a few pieces usually make it into my tank too, haha).  I also gather some frags from my tank's growth for sale as well.  It always helps when you can use your knowledge of a hobby to help finance it.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Careers vs reef tanks

Hey Michelle... I believe I've come across you on kijiji once or twice :p
I do the same thing as well, buy and sell what I can :)

jroovers

Super Active Member
My name is Jordan and I am 33 with a wife and a 11-week old son.  Darryl is the one who is responsible for sucking me into this hobby - we have been friends for a long time and eventually after staring at his tank long enough, he convinced me I needed one of my own!  I've always enjoyed gardening and I find keeping coral not that dis-similar.  I've always also liked nature and fishing, and as my wife often says now "you've got fish on the brain".  With the tank it is more coral than fish of course, the fish are just a nice bonus.  I work for a private rehabilitation company here in London and I manage a department that estimates treatment and rehabilitation costs for injured persons, typically for their litigation lawyers and insurance companies.

Seggsy

msteane link said:
To help finance my reef addiction I buy stuff (liverock, corals, fish) on kijiji in bulk from people shutting down tanks. Then part out and resell (although a few pieces usually make it into my tank too, haha).  I also gather some frags from my tank's growth for sale as well.

This is my life.  Especially while deciding on my next light purchase...

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
Seggsy link said:
[quote author=msteane link=topic=3532.msg30466#msg30466 date=1353102555]
To help finance my reef addiction I buy stuff (liverock, corals, fish) on kijiji in bulk from people shutting down tanks. Then part out and resell (although a few pieces usually make it into my tank too, haha).  I also gather some frags from my tank's growth for sale as well.

[/quote]

Led is the hardest thing to figure out. Just saying. There is no dimming in t5 or mh. It's on and off. Led is hard. So many say start low ramp up. When u see how dim led is it messes with your brain and you keep turming it brighter. I burnt so many corals with led. I'm running 25% on both channels and it looks dark. I miss my mh. I do

blair

hi, my name is blair im 33 just a simple factory worker, and on the side we have several bulldogs 7 to be exact having a litter once a year, i also have an addiction to the saltwater hobby, started about 12 years ago working at the local pet store and have been off and on ever since, im fortunate enough to have my girlfriend envolved in this hobby just as much as me, the same story we started out to small and 3 tanks later we have our 155 set up and running now will be posting pics of it soon, ive never kept sps corals before so im looking forward to getting into a few of them very soon

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Krazykarl link said:
[quote author=Seggsy link=topic=3532.msg30493#msg30493 date=1353123409]

[/quote]

Led is the hardest thing to figure out. Just saying. There is no dimming in t5 or mh. It's on and off. Led is hard. So many say start low ramp up. When u see how dim led is it messes with your brain and you keep turming it brighter. I burnt so many corals with led. I'm running 25% on both channels and it looks dark. I miss my mh. I do
[/quote]

Ah but once it's set up...I certainly don't miss my MH....the heat, the bulbs, the hydro....

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=Krazykarl link=topic=3532.msg30494#msg30494 date=1353124805]
[quote author=Seggsy link=topic=3532.msg30493#msg30493 date=1353123409]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ah but once it's set up...I certainly don't miss my MH....the heat, the bulbs, the hydro....
[/quote]

+1 to that.  :)

Status
Not open for further replies.