Cliff's In Wall Reef

Cliff

Thanks. It's taking all my energy lol. I work from 6-5:30 then I come home and work till 12:00 at night. I just finished the vapor barrier and strapping the roof. Tomorrow night drywall :)

Cliff

OK so time for a quick update. First off was the access panel for the front of the tank. My wife wants it as invisible as possible and I couldn't find a set of hinges that would open up properly to make that access panel a complete pocket in the wall. I ended up finding a set of hinges at IKEA of all places. They are Beautiful hinges they completely open up so they will clear the drywall and framework they were very pricey but I think they will work great

So I have spent most of the week doing drywall. I finally have fish room closed in. The guy will come Monday hopefully to professionally mud and tape the walls.

Now onto the fish stuff. After everyone goes to bed I get to work on my own stuff for the fish room Lol first thing was to clean and cook some of the rock that I had saved from previous builds. I gave it a muratic acid bath to clean it up

Then I soaked it in bleach for two days. Now it is air drying. Tomorrow I will put it in vats of r.o water with prime in it. Then I'll seed it with my current rock and start it cycling
Here it is so far

Last edited:

Cliff

Here is a question for u guys. How much live rock do u recommend? I don't want to add much more lr to the display but I might put some in the sump. The rock wall has about 100lb of rock on it righ now. How much mure do u guys think?

Cliff

Here is after soaking my rock in ro for 1.5 days. I think I m going to add some lanthium chloride to the vat. Has anyone here had experience with it?

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Here is after soaking my rock in ro for 1.5 days. I think I m going to add some lanthium chloride to the vat. Has anyone here had experience with it?

I use it to keep phosphates in check in my system by dosing into a filter sock. It would work awesome for stripping it from rock in a vat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I stock it :) it's called foz down. I can ship you a bottle, aquarium made, but pool supply will work as long as you check what all is in it as some contain copper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jroovers

Super Active Member
Here is a question for u guys. How much live rock do u recommend? I don't want to add much more lr to the display but I might put some in the sump. The rock wall has about 100lb of rock on it righ now. How much mure do u guys think?

I guess it all depends on what you plan on using for nutrient export. Other than a skimmer, are you planning on using any nitrate/phosphate reducing media? DSB? Refuge?

Cliff

K I need your guys help with something. I am purchasing Established tank for the corals and fish out of it. but I am wondering if it will be too much of a bio load. I currently have a chevron tang a Christmas wrasse and a couple of clones ready to go in the 150. The tank I purchased has amazing fish with it and I don't know which one to get rid of LOL. Do you think I could manage keeping them all? I am vodka dosing and I plan on maybe even using bio pellets. Here is the list of fish that come with the tank. They are all amazingly healthy and well colored
blonde naso tang
- purple tang
- powder brown tang
- flameback angle
- flame hawkfish
- christmas wrasse
- file fish
- 3 clown fishes
- royal gramma
- yellowtail damsel
- yellow candy hogfish

To me this is a very high Bio load what do u think?