Cliff's In Wall Reef

Cliff

Well holy crap I can finally see the finish to this renovation. We just sealed the tile tonight I have baseboards to do tommorow. I finished all the window sills and casings last night. I hope I can get the rec room done so I can get back to the fish room. Here r some pics of the rec room so far

Cliff

As for the fish room I have been slacking. I have the ai hydras hooked up (I love the control these lights give u). I have the skimmer working. Very impressed with it so far. One side note. I had to disconnect the mp10 cause it's just too noisy so I'll have to look for a alternative.
The dosers are set up and installed but not running. I want to get at least one going so I can start my vodka going. Right now I am controlling heat with my acjr It has been quite a challange when all my good equipment is in use on the zeroedge. Even something as simple as heaters were a challange. I have had two of the used heaters I dug out of storage leak voltage. I have 3 almost new jagers on my zero edge. I'll wait till I make the big change then swap over my heaters. Once all the electronics are installed then I have to tie up all the wires. Lots of work ahead

Cliff

Ok so I got my ats set up last night. Works great so far now I wait for algae. I added a second drain in case of emergency. I am lighting it with 3 Chinese red led bulbs (they don't seem very bright though) I hope they work

Cliff

OK so it's time for a quick update. All the fish and corals have been swapped into the new tank and everything is working great. I have lost two small LPS. A purple torch coral and a neon green hammer. I am thinking it is possibly my filefish nipping at them.

I started to lose a good size Duncan; and by this time I clued on that it may be the file fish so I cut a pop bottle and put it over the Duncan. It now seems to be getting better; polyps are extending again. The Ats is coming along quite well and is getting a nice growth of GHA starting.

I finally got the 150 out of my room so now I can start setting the room up. I just got my frag tank set up; it will be a beautiful 40 gallon breeder rimless StarFire tank. It's a shame to use it for a frag tank but no one wanted to pay me anything for it so I guess I will use it LOL

I got the table in but I have not got my sink plumbed in yet.

That's next weeks job . By the time I set up my Apex and all the modules it's looking like a heckuva mess with all the wires everywhere so I am going to have to spend some time tying up all those wires and sorting them out.

I like redundancy so I am using my apex and a aqua controller Junior both have individual heating programs; the AC Junior will kick in if the apex let's the temperature drop too much.
A couple of weeks ago I had my Christmas wrasse and my melinoris wrasse fighting they managed to splash one of my AI hydra and burnt the board out. I ordered that from the states and it should be able to be picked up tomorrow. So that was 100 wasted dollars.
I have also had some ick run through my tank :( I lost my prized harlequin because of it. And my large purple is also covered. But I think he will pull through.
I since removed the Christmas Wrasse. I think their constant fighting was stressing the whole tank out. Now things look far better. I hope my purple keeps eating because it would suck to lose him too.
So so far I have lost two small lps corals and one fish. It sucks but if I can do that big of a change to the tank with all new live stock and that's my only losses I think I will be OK with that. Over the last couple weeks I have ramped up the amount of bio pellets to keep my nitrates down. I am hoping the turf scrubber will start to soak up some more nutrients soon. My plan in the end is to hopefully not run any bio pellets as I am scared of them I have more to write but as of now this is all the time I have lol

Cliff

Quick update
I got the media reactors up and running I was hoping not to use gfo but the Ats and the fuge are not keeping up so I had to add some phisogard Hopfully I can take it off line when the Ats really kicks in

Frag tank is set up and running. I have a crappy t5 on there now I plan on putting my ai sol blues on there latter.

Cliff

Thanks. I wish I could get better pics. I m not a photographer lol.
So i have my Kalk reactor going and my alk seems to b slowly creeping up. I did not expect the Kalk alone to keep up with the tank. But now I m on the boarder line of too high. What do u guys think I should do?

Cliff

Here is my alk

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    84.7 KB · Views: 86

Cliff

So I am disappointed with the Ats so far. I thought it would b taking out more po4 than it is. I don't really have algae problems but my p04 seems to be around .14 and that's running a fuge Ats and gfo :(. Maybe I gotta cut back on the feeding

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
You would need to have a ton of nitrates for living things to consume that much phosphate. ATS and fuge are for Nitrate control and will only remove minimal phosphate. GFO will be exhausted rapidly in high PO4...Change it out and test, as soon as it stops dropping change it again...etc.etc. you will exhaust it possibly in less than a week in a reactor perhaps several times until you get to the level you wish to maintain. If the PO4 has been high for a while it will continue to leach out of the rocks as the concentration in the surrounding water drops too.

The tank looks good so I would stick with smaller amounts of GFO changed more frequently so that it doesn't drop too rapidly. Everything in the tank will have adapted to the high levels and will need to adjust.

Last edited: