cloudy water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
tank water is getting cloudy...
i wondering if it could be a bacteria bloom from the bio pellets... any chance of that?
im running 1 cup = 50g
water was crystal clear last night

levels:
temp: 24
ph: 8.1
Nitrite: 0.0ppm
Nitrate: 10
Ammonia: 0.5ppm
PO: 1.0ppm

R

reeffreak

What type of pellets, I'm gunna say that some off the parameters are off if your seeing cloudy water from pellets

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
well as of 2 days ago ammonia and nitrates were 0.0pm
so they went up a bit. i cant find my scooter blenny so maybe he was powerhead salad??  :eek:

im running the BRS pellets...
will it clear up on its own or should i do something.

R

reeffreak

Brandon link said:
mhmm.. cycle was done, then i threw the bio pellets on ...

If your levels hit zero then spiked again the cycle is NOT done. Cycles don't last 2 weeks ...

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
ack bud, im using a bacteria that speeds the cycle up drastically... ive covered this in my build thread... several times.
im well aware of how long a normal cycle takes.... im not 'green' thank you very much, but i still do have alot to learn. thats why im asking the question, the main cycle, which read all the typical spikes etc, has been completed... i wouldnt add my fish and corals to my tank if i didnt think it was ready......

the question of the thread was, are the pellets causing the cloudy water....

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Chances of that amount of pellets causing a bloom in 150gal tank is slim to none, leaning towards none. Most likely is a second cycle, which is quite common, especially with that bacteria additive.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Ok I did a quick ammonia test and it's a clear 0.0 again, I'm using the API drip kits.
Ill take them off line when I get home later on?

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
this never happened to me with pellets either..

R

reeffreak

No it doesn't happen to everyone  but if Nutrients are up and pellets are added water will go cloudy. I'm  pretty positive the container mine came in say that water may be cloudy and there are  threads out there with the same issue from pellets ..  I'm not really sure on this magical speed up the cycle bacteria stuff is it for real or what ?

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
reeffreak link said:
No it doesn't happen to everyone  but if Nutrients are up and pellets are added water will go cloudy. I'm  pretty positive the container mine came in say that water may be cloudy and there are  threads out there with the same issue from pellets ..  I'm not really sure on this magical speed up the cycle bacteria stuff is it for real or what ?

I get it from
Pulp, I used it on my frag tank it honestly works.... Just talk to phil....

It's hard to match colours on these stupid test kits. I'm using API drip test for phosphates as well, I'm pretty sure it was in between 0.5 and 1..... I have rowa Phos and gfo standing by.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
i doubt there is bacteria in that stuff if it doesn't have a expiry date and doesn't need to be kept refrigerated, most likely its either adding nutrients like nitrates, or its just ammonia, either way your cycle still isn't going to happen overnight, part of your tank cycling is growth of the "real" bacteria that your tank needs to keep everything in check and adding some bottle of stuff wont do anything to help that happen any faster, At least that's my opinion.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
You may want to get a better kit future phosphates, out borrow one. The API kits are not sensitive enough for phosphates, they should be below 0.1. If you aware close to 1.0, then you have a breeding ground for algea. but that is a whole other discussion I think.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.