Daves 200 gallon DD tank build

davesolo29

Super Active Member
lmao... its been a slow go lately.  work is taking up all my time.  seems like i wont be able to get things going til fall.
new stand should be here by the weekend tho.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
Got the new stand last weekend.  Needs a couple of small modifications, but they can be done on site. 
Picked up just over 200lbs of fiji and tonga liverock and some aragonite substrate.  Got it filled up today and just waiting for things to clear up.
Let the cycle begin.

I also picked up 2 new mp40s today.  Anyone else find them extremely loud?  I dont know if i like them.

I ordered a new acrylic sump from Flavio today.  So should have that next weekend if all goes well.

Anyone want to buy a practically brand new Vertex Alpha Cone 170???  I think im going to get the 250 instead.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
davesolo29 link said:
I also picked up 2 new mp40s today.  Anyone else find them extremely loud?  I dont know if i like them.

I have 2 mp40s and they are noisy, but I have reached a compromise by dialing them down to about 70-75% on reefcrest mode. Also let them break in a bit. You can also tweak the placement slightly and this may help too. I find that most of the noise comes from the winding of the speed on the dry side. The wet side is virtually silent.

If you want a quieter system, I would go with a wavebox and a couple tunze powerheads.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
lmao derek.. come by and take a look.

I would take a couple pics, but im going thru a diatom bloom right now and dont want to use my old mag float or scraper to clean the new glass.  Cant bring myself to take pics of a dirty tank.  Plan on buying a new one tomorrow if i can find the time.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
ok...here goes.  lots of pics.

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

davesolo29

Super Active Member
picked up my new alpha cone 250 and sump yesterday... thanks flavio.

got it all plumbed in last night/this morning and it has passed the leak test.  thank god.  now the waiting begins.  thankfully i am still busy with work so i wont have much time at home to drive myself nuts with an empty tank.

i have to hit lowes tomorrow for a couple ball valves or gate valves to slow my drain down a bit.  its a bit loud.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Looks great.  Love the stand.  Maybe a bit too much live rock.

you really dont want to valve your drain...we oversize these for a reason.  Valve the return pump (better yet get a smaller one) or get a better overflow (bean, durso etc).

davesolo29

Super Active Member
some of the rock will find its way to the fuge soon enough.
the reason i need to valve the drain is because one side drains way faster than the other and the slower one gurgles trying to catch up..  so i figure i will slow the first one down a bit.

i have a valve on my pump.  i will try closing it off a bit and see what happens.