Deeznutz HD 120 Long Rimless

deeznutz

Hello all you fish maniacs.  I've ordered a new tank and expecting delivery this week.

So its time for a build thread.  This is my first build thread here on TFT.  I've only been here for a month or so, but I'm really liking the way this community interacts with each other.

This will be as detailed as possible and moving at snail speeds compared to our buddy Sig :eek:

This will be my 3rd tank in the last 9 years in the hobby.  So I've learned a few things along the way and I think I have everything covered.  Well at least the mistakes I've made prior.  Please feel free to make any suggestions or advice along the way.  I plan to document everything and take pictures too.

Main reason for the new tank is because we moved to our new home.  It was a 150 peninsula SPS dominated. I was sad to shut her down.  But with spring comes new tank builds!

I'll start from the very beginning. 

Demo day, always fun right?

deeznutz

Re: Deeznutz HD Rimless

Hmmmm, I can't seem to add a link to a pic.  Nothings working with that mona lisa icon.  I'm using flickr.  Any ideas?  I'm not liking this attachments thingy.

thanks

deeznutz

Re: Deeznutz HD Rimless

Torx link said:
Code:
[Url=www.linkhere.com][img]photolinkhere [/img][/url]

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

Thanks Torx, I've tried this and when I press preview nothing shows up.  Oh well, I just attach them for now.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Pm me what you are trying to post.  I will get er figured out and let you know. Attachmemts suck, I am with you on that.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
deeznutz link said:
[quote author=Torx link=topic=8353.msg89007#msg89007 date=1396931352]
Code:
[Url=www.linkhere.com][img]photolinkhere [/img][/url]

Thanks Torx, I've tried this and when I press preview nothing shows up.  Oh well, I just attach them for now.

[/quote]when i do that amd hit preveiw. nothing shows up. so i just hit post ..and then go look if yu dont like it then hit remove ..simple

deeznutz

OK, so I'm using photobucket instead.  It appears to be working :)

So here is my house all cleaned up from the demo.  Well the mess any ways.  This area is my kitchen and the step down area was the living room.  We dropped the wall and raised the floor.  Most people usually raise the roof, we do the floors lol

file_zps5ecfee2a.jpg

Here's the floor raised

file_zps147b8770.jpg

and from the back of the house

file_zpsec817440.jpg

So with the floors raised and electrical in place.  We decide on a 4-1/4 plank in a mat finish for the entire house.  We are really loving the look and finish of these floors :)

file_zpsd7c030e9.jpg

And here is where the new tank will reside.

file_zps345a8b84.jpg

And last but not least the tank, the glass box, the most beautiful and exciting thing about the whole build.  My long awaited tank that went from a 36x36 cube to this. A master piece of a rectangular money pit of the modern age.  lol

[size=14pt]I present to you my new pride and joy  [/size]

Miracles 120 rimless 84x18x18

3 sided starphire, 3/4 glass!

Internal overflow with bean animal drains and return

file_zps0c66d5af.jpg

file_zpsa630ffeb.jpg

file_zps12876e86.jpg

I hope you guys enjoyed my build so far.  I'm back baby >:D

deeznutz

davesolo29 link said:
Internal overflow?  What were you thinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well with everything, there are advantages and disadvantages with each set-up.  My last tank had an external overflow.  I loved it, but I hated that fact that is added 6" to the width of the tank.  The wife and I also decided we wanted a simple, modern sleek tank and the internal over flow fitted our vision sorta speak.

I'm working with 24" front to back of depth.  With a 3inch ledge surround the tank an external overflow would have pushed it to 30"  Something the wife didn't approve of hahaha

In the long run, an external over flow can always be added. :)  This won't be my last tank.  So we will see if this all works out the way we envision it.

teebone110 link said:
Sweet!!!!!

What are the dimensions of your internal overflow?

This tank is going to rock, I'm liking the 3/4\" starphire glass… nice work!!

Thanks man, overflow box is 18x4.
The 3/4 glass looks crazy for such a small tank.  We think it looks beastly. >:D
benzzz link said:
Looking good buddy.
Poseidon link said:
[quote author=benzzz link=topic=8353.msg89213#msg89213 date=1397042967]
Looking good buddy.

+1
[/quote]

thanks guys

deeznutz

So tonight I got the go ahead to get my stand built :)
I've decided to get it built, I was considering building it myself, but I'm so darn anal that it would take me forever to do.  Plus I'm not cofident on my painting skills :-[

We've decided to do an unconventional stand and design something that's not commonly seen.
I hope you guys like our design.

Here's my rendering

file_zpsb9c7c99d.jpg

The door is for access to the drains and also to hide fish s#&% as my wife would call it lol.

file_zps4431fb7c.jpg

Though the cubbies would be nice just for extra storage and we all know, you can never get enough storage.
Maybe a wine rack? Who knows?  Only time will tell I guess.

file_zps6d582595.jpg

I'm pretty sure we will be sticking with white paint, but the idea of another colour is on the table. 
Any thoughts or suggestions on a different colour scheme?

Thats all for now.  Thanks for looking.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
I like white as well
I'm curious as to why your designing the stand the way you are, are you using it as a room divider or ?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Killer design on the stand. I was contemplating a similar one and the 'hole' would house a bar stool or two. Then make a edge around the tank wide enough to hold a beer etc. Wife is pretty adamant about making the whole underside a bookshelf though.

deeznutz

Poseidon link said:
I like white as well
I'm curious as to why your designing the stand the way you are, are you using it as a room divider or ?

Thanks man, the white is nice for sure.  We might do a matte red for fun and to add some colour to our home.  We have to look at some swatches to decide though.

As for the design, our last tank had a traditional tank stand and we wanted something fresh and new.  Something with a bit of character. A show piece of furniture if you will.  We're still not sure how the end product with look like, but I have a very good builder that does exceptional work.

My last tank I built the stand as shown here.  Love the look but wanted a different airy look this time.  I'm also planning a basement sump, so there's no need for any room underneath.
The original design for the stand was going to be a bench style stand.  But I've realized I do need some storage for fish stuff.
file-15.jpg

Torx link said:
Killer design on the stand. I was contemplating a similar one and the 'hole' would house a bar stool or two. Then make a edge around the tank wide enough to hold a beer etc. Wife is pretty adamant about making the whole underside a bookshelf though.

Thanks Torx, the hole is suppose to be left open for an open airy feel, but the stool ideas has come to mind.  Great minds think a like ;)  There will be a 3" ledge surrounding the tank which fits a beverage of your choice perfectly. 
I'm still undecided if I'm going wrap the ledge in the same white quartz as out kitchen counters seen here
file-16.jpg

file-21.jpg

Here's a pic from our foyer, the tank will be located where the plant is
file-19.jpg

Austin link said:
Love it already.....I can see lots of frags in my future lol

Thanks Austin and Yes I will help support your addiction with coral fragments  :laugh:

deeznutz

EricTMah link said:
Beautiful tank and home!

Thanks man, we've invested a few pennies in this home  8)
We've always wanted to do something like this and I'm happy we were able to do as much as we have.  I didn't think we would have money left over for the tank lol.  I'm a good talker I guess, or my wife just can't stand hearing me whine any longer.

So here's a sketch of what my fish room might look like.  I'm not sure if I'm missing anything or if I have things laid out properly.  Any help or suggestion would really help.  So please insert your $0.02 here.

file-38.jpg

file-37.jpg

I think I'm going to use a basic 120 long 72x18x22 for the sump.  I have a lot of live rock and I plan on keeping most of it in the sump.  I have a 40g tank built up higher for water changes, so I can just gravity feed to the sump.
The sump will have a valve with a drain right into the drains.

Across from the sump will house my frag tank, which will drain into back into the sump.  The return pump will feed both the frag tank and the main display tank directly above.

Any recommendations on a return pump? Low wattage of course.  Display is 120 gallons and frag tank is 70 gallons.

thanks

-dan