Deeznutz HD 120 Long Rimless

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
I can highly recommend a gen-x Mak 4.  Mine has been running solid for almost 5 years now.  I think it's only been shut off once and I can't remember why now.  Its only 109watts and is fan cooled external so it doesnt add too much heat.

deeznutz

EricTMah link said:
Nice choice in placement.

But I don't have experience with basement set ups.  SO maybe someone else can chime in on a pump recommendation

Thanks, I think it might stay this way, but I'll have to go over the drawings again and again.

Darryl_V link said:
I can highly recommend a gen-x Mak 4.  Mine has been running solid for almost 5 years now.  I think it's only been shut off once and I can't remember why now.  Its only 109watts and is fan cooled external so it doesnt add too much heat.

Hey dude, I've always considered that pump ever since I saw you had success  using it. Is it still being sold?
what kind of head pressure were you running?  I can picture your sump room, but I can't remember if you pump was on the floor or raised up. 

What kind of flow did you have at your tank and were you running anything else off that pump or was it strictly for the return only?

thanks

-dan

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Hey Dan.

It was strictly for the return and didnt offer that much flow by the time it reached the upstairs display.  The pump was on the floor in the basement.  I should have designed it to sit higher up though. 

Any case it seems like its been discontinued.  You might want to consider an Iwaki.

deeznutz

daleomilla link said:
looks good keep up the good work

I'm trying :)

Darryl_V link said:
Hey Dan.

It was strictly for the return and didnt offer that much flow by the time it reached the upstairs display.  The pump was on the floor in the basement.  I should have designed it to sit higher up though. 

Any case it seems like its been discontinued.  You might want to consider an Iwaki.

Thanks Darryl, what kind of flow do you think you had from the pump? 
I'm wondering if I need 480gph back to the tank or if 240-360 gph enough.

-dan

deeznutz

So the hunt continues for the return pump. No one seems to have any suggestions? I think I'm going to shoot for 400-600gph through the sump and take it from there.

I got a phone call early this morning about my stand. I had to go look at it and discuss the build with the builder. Good news and bad news but it really depends on how you look at it.

The good, it's almost done!  I took a bunch of pics to document the build.

The bad(not really) I have been advised to not have the front of the stand completely flush as the joints will most likely crack and show where the wood has been joined. So the alternative is to have a 1/8th" over hang so a line can be formed and not worry about cracking. The suggestion came from the builder who looks to be about 80years old. So I'm betting he knows a thing or two. Maybe three.

After examining the stand I was quite pleased with how it's coming along. The workmanship is top tier for sure. I just ask to have two extra supports added to bring the load to the ground.

Here are the real pics, you can see we had the top 4x4 hang over the edge to eliminate the cracking paint problem.  I have to say, this sucka is pretty darn heavy.  I think this stand has some potential to be a real looker :)

file-65.jpg

file-64.jpg

file-62.jpg

file-58.jpg

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Very nice!

I didn't have a recommendation on pump size because I'm not used to dealing with 8+ feet of head.  But a total of 500-600gph through the display is plenty as long as you provide power heads to circulate within the tank.  I run around 450-500gpm through my 120g DT

benzzz

Got to stop by at Dan's today to check out their new home, Beautiful layout buddy ! Of course I had to christen the new place with bringing a new frag and taking home a couple. Basement set up will look great once the fish room is set up and the location of DT placement will be a real showcase for your beautiful new home. Congrats !

davesolo29

Super Active Member
I'm not really sure what I get gph wise, but I pump up about 7' with a water blaster 10000 and am pleased with it.  I also run several reactors off of it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deeznutz

EricTMah link said:
Very nice!

I didn't have a recommendation on pump size because I'm not used to dealing with 8+ feet of head.  But a total of 500-600gph through the display is plenty as long as you provide power heads to circulate within the tank.  I run around 450-500gpm through my 120g DT

I was hoping 450ish would be enough, I've always run so much through my sump.  So I'm going go for lower turnover rate through the sump this time around.  As always, there will be pretty of flow through the display.  I'm really liking the wp10.  I'm thinking 1 on each side of my over flow box would add some nice flow along with my mp40's

benzzz link said:
Got to stop by at Dan's today to check out their new home, Beautiful layout buddy ! Of course I had to christen the new place with bringing a new frag and taking home a couple. Basement set up will look great once the fish room is set up and the location of DT placement will be a real showcase for your beautiful new home. Congrats !

Thanks buddy, I appreciate it and the frag :)  I was looking at the fish room last night.  I think I might change things up a bit:)
I was going to build another stand for the frag tank, but I think I'll re-use the existing 8' foot stand.  I'll add pics later for all the folks who have not seen my basement set as of now.  Disaster lol

davesolo29 link said:
I'm not really sure what I get gph wise, but I pump up about 7' with a water blaster 10000 and am pleased with it.  I also run several reactors off of it. 

davesolo29 link said:
Stand looks great btw.

Thanks, I have looked at the water blaster.  When you say you are pleased.  Can you elaborate on this.  Do you have a lot of flow to play around with?  I'm looking at purchasing this pump in the next week or so.

Stay tuned.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
wow that stand looks great but is it safe to support a big tank on 3/4" board? does the builder know that 120 Gallons of water with a tank and everything else is pushing 1500 lbs?

deeznutz

Duke link said:
wow that stand looks great but is it safe to support a big tank on 3/4\" board? does the builder know that 120 Gallons of water with a tank and everything else is pushing 1500 lbs?

Thanks man.  I'm happy with it so  far as well.  As for the 3/4 ply.  I'm confident that it will hold.  The builder is aware of the weight it has to bare. 

My last tank was built with 3/4 ply as well and that was a 150g on a foot print of 48x30.  I find engineered wood is stronger then in it's natural state.  This new stand is 90x24, so the weight is spread out a lot more then the last by approximately 700 sq/inches.

I sure hope it holds regardless, but I've stressed my concerns and made it clear that it has to hold.  That's also the reason for the 4x4's across the top.

I was so worried about my last stand not holding.  But every time I looked at the stands at Bigal I know I'm in the clear.  I guess we always under estimate the strength of wood.

-dan

davesolo29

Super Active Member
It's true.  Plywood is much stronger than it looks.  We normally use 3/8 ply for roof sheathing.  2x4 trusses spanning 16-24". Loading 15-20 bundles in one location.  Average of 80lbs/bundle.  Never had a roof come down on me yet from that.

spyd

Super Active Member
I run the Water Blaster HY10000 as well. It is a fantastic pump! Runs dead silent and definitely pumps out a lot of flow. I run everything off my pump, frag tank, water change/sump tank, display tank, biopellet reactor and dual reactor. Lots of flow for everything and still good flow into the tank.

That stand is lloking great!

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
davesolo29 link said:
It's true.  Plywood is much stronger than it looks.  We normally use 3/8 ply for roof sheathing.  2x4 trusses spanning 16-24\". Loading 15-20 bundles in one location.  Average of 80lbs/bundle.  Never had a roof come down on me yet from that.

Knock on wood :p

deeznutz

davesolo29 link said:
It's true.  Plywood is much stronger than it looks.  We normally use 3/8 ply for roof sheathing.  2x4 trusses spanning 16-24\". Loading 15-20 bundles in one location.  Average of 80lbs/bundle.  Never had a roof come down on me yet from that.

I remember trying to break 4" strips of 3/4 ply and it was tough.  We always think, bigger is better, when engineers have proven us wrong.  I mean, just look at engineered joint compared to nominal wood.  They don't look strong, but in theory they are much stronger.
Poseidon link said:
[quote author=davesolo29 link=topic=8353.msg90985#msg90985 date=1397966877]

Knock on wood :p
[/quote]

No pun intended lol

spyd link said:
I run the Water Blaster HY10000 as well. It is a fantastic pump! Runs dead silent and definitely pumps out a lot of flow. I run everything off my pump, frag tank, water change/sump tank, display tank, biopellet reactor and dual reactor. Lots of flow for everything and still good flow into the tank.

That stand is lloking great!

Hey man, I've been looking at this pump.  What kind of head are you running it at?  This pump is perfect for my return only.  At 14' I should be getting 450gph, but I won't be able to run my reactors etc off it.

I have a few other that I'll post and see what kind of feed back I can get on them.

Appreciate the response!

deeznutz

OK, so heres another idea.  Instead of running my reactors and frag tank off the excess pump pressure (if I get a pump that can provide the pressure) can I just run my reactors and frag tank of my drains?

I ran a fuge off my drains in my last set up, but I found a lot of detritus ended up in those areas.

Yay or nay for running systems off the drains?