Deeznutz HD 120 Long Rimless

deeznutz

Hey guys, I was just going through my old build and man it's been a while since I've updated it.
The tank is chugging along nicely now as it's gone through its ups and downs.
I'll post all about it soon, when I can get pictures up.

Nighthawk26

Love the DT, love your place, and can totally relate to your overall setup and process through the build. Mine is very similar in a lot of ways. Look forward to seeing current pics. I'm about to finally put first fish in myself. Currently in QT tank. Threads like this motivate to push through as it's been a process since November for planning and May since getting things set up.

deeznutz

So since I don't have pictures right now, I'll just give a brief summary of my tank battles. It hasn't been nice.

Early on in this tanks beginning, my tank was struck with Ich. My Achilles broke out first and it wiped out 70% of my fish.
After my tank went fallow for 2-3 months, I started stocking it again.

Then I got hit with green hair algae for another 2 month, manually removing it, and scrubbing the rocks with a tooth brush. Boy do I hate algae!

During all this time, my SPS haven't done much except turn brown from all my messing around.

Then one day, I noticed some cyano on the sand bed. I knew I was feeding quite a bit of pellets, so I slowed down and monitored it. After about another month or so, I noticed it was getting worse, but it wasn't cyano. It was dinos!

I did everything I could to get rid of it, at first it was only annoying, then my sps started to suffer, then I lost all of my prized piece of sps. I was so upset! I have to make a big change, so i removed all of my sand! The dinos cleared up a week afterwards and things started to get back to normal. That was about 3 months ago.

Currently, I've been playing around with my lighting (Radions) and I've found a good mix of lighting, feeding and stability.

I'm happy to say that through thick and thin my tank is back on track! Sps are growing and colouring up as expected.
Tanks parameters are rock solid and the hopefully I can start stocking sps frags again.

I need to stock more fish as well as I've lost my trigger pair and an few others from fish suicide.

Pics to come, I promise :)

jroovers

Super Active Member
Sounds about par for the course. Since my startup in February I've gone through hair algae, dinos, some type of brown sludge like algae that seemed similar to dinos but different, and now green cyano. I'm expected once that is close to running its course, red cyano will show up. I think more than anything it takes time and patience for things to stabilize, mature, and balance out... that is my theory anyway.

Nighthawk26

Man, so disheartening. This is my first time with all of this. PERIOD. No freshwater, not even a goldfish. Just jumped all in. DEEP. Seeing seasoned people have all these problems is painful as I can only imagine what I'll go through! I'm almost hoping the "ignorance is bliss" cliche has some application here. I know sometimes when you know too much it can almost be worse than knowing anything. Maybe I can stumble my ass through this whole thing. Haha. Look forward to forthcoming pics.

deeznutz

Sounds about par for the course. Since my startup in February I've gone through hair algae, dinos, some type of brown sludge like algae that seemed similar to dinos but different, and now green cyano. I'm expected once that is close to running its course, red cyano will show up. I think more than anything it takes time and patience for things to stabilize, mature, and balance out... that is my theory anyway.

Yeah its the arm pit of reef keeping lol, but at least I made it through alive. I'm sure you're almost there. It took about 1 full year to be where I am now and I'm very pleased with it. Now I just need it to mature so I can start chopping frags :)

Man, so disheartening. This is my first time with all of this. PERIOD. No freshwater, not even a goldfish. Just jumped all in. DEEP. Seeing seasoned people have all these problems is painful as I can only imagine what I'll go through! I'm almost hoping the "ignorance is bliss" cliche has some application here. I know sometimes when you know too much it can almost be worse than knowing anything. Maybe I can stumble my ass through this whole thing. Haha. Look forward to forthcoming pics.

Don't sweat it bro, you'll be just fine. Just remember it won't last forever! The reward at the end will be worth wild.

deeznutz

I just wanted to add one more thing to my pain and suffering. I had a rather large variety of zoos in this tank and the colonies were quiet large as well. I'd say I had about 20 different colonies. During the course of all this mayhem, I lost all of those as well :( Only a few large polyp colonies like purple deaths made it through. Some pieces I've had for 5-6 years as well.

Just like my prized sps frags I had, I sucked it up and decide to rebuild when the time was right. That happened a few months ago when I acquired some ultra rasta, sunny d and utters :) All went well for a week or so and then all of a sudden all of my rasta and sunny d disappeared over night! I literally $hit a brick lol.

I realized that all this time the zoos didn't die due to poor water quality, no sir. They were being eaten! At first I thought it was my triggers as they "were" big eaters. But it ended up being my large hippo tang that has been eating my zoos all a long. I pulled up a chair and sat at the tank and sure enough, there he was swimming with a whole frag plug in his mouth thrashing it around like a great white shark.:mad:

So I've been wanting to pull him out but my buddy who gave him to me. He had to shut his tank down and this was his favourite fish. So I feel kinda bad getting rid of him. He is a beautiful specimen at least.

INstead of pulling the fish, I've started a frag tank where I now keep all of my zoos and I'm starting the grow out phase. Who know, this fish may jump one day and save me the hassle of having to lie to my buddy about the fish:cool:

Any ways, pics are coming :)

-deez

deeznutz

Like I promised...

FTS, hope you guys enjoy the pics :)
IMG_3150 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

IMG_3146 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

IMG_3141 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

IMG_3132 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

IMG_3133 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

IMG_3131 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

IMG_3130 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

IMG_3116 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

IMG_3115 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

IMG_3105 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

IMG_3095 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

IMG_3096 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

IMG_3101 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

IMG_3102 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

IMG_3103 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

IMG_3104 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

heath

Distinguished Member
love it.... how do you like the center overflow, I had thought about doing that on one of my tanks.. looks like it makes it easier to aquascape.. your green long tentacle nem is about the size mine was when I got it..:D

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
love it.... how do you like the center overflow, I had thought about doing that on one of my tanks.. looks like it makes it easier to aquascape.. your green long tentacle nem is about the size mine was when I got it..:D

That green long tentactle anenome is actually the every so talked about kryptonite torch! A beaut.

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
That a bad as fish, my buddy have a large carpet nem that swallow two of his big fish. A large purple and very large naso tank. Anyway a large carpet nem might be your answer lol

deeznutz

Thanks man, the center over flow works pretty well. I should have maybe gone trapezoid to help with the flow from the mp40 on the ends. I was going to go external over flow like my last one, but I just wanted everything contained within the tank.
The Nem you speak of is technical the deenutz torch from way back when. Which has evolved to the kryptonite. Its actually a piece that originated in Newyork as todd torch. My buddy from the AP days dubbed it deeznutz torch when i told him I had to have it lol.

That a bad as fish, my buddy have a large carpet nem that swallow two of his big fish. A large purple and very large naso tank. Anyway a large carpet nem might be your answer lol
hahaha, I don't have room for one of those bad boys. I'm over it now.
Keep it down Jerry, we're talking about it right now and in a month half of it will be in my tank. Right Dan?
We will have to just wait and see brother

He's going to frag some for me first, then you can have the rest :)

IS that right??? lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And nothing left for him haha

Except cash money bitche$!

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
Money.jpg