Deeznutz HD 120 Long Rimless

ALowe

This is what I've been waiting for! Gorgeous tank! Sorry to hear about the swings and losses tho :(. I love the achilles tang and my heart breaks for u that u lost him. Glad everything is back on track tho!!

deeznutz

This is what I've been waiting for! Gorgeous tank! Sorry to hear about the swings and losses tho :(. I love the achilles tang and my heart breaks for u that u lost him. Glad everything is back on track tho!!

Thanks man!

Tank is doing quite well with little to no effort. I've finally started to frag a few things.

I also want to mention that I picked up a Juvi Achilles today! He looked good and fairly small, so I pulled the trigger on him.
He has no orange on him, so I know she's young. She's sitting in quarantine right now, so I hope she get nice and fat.

-deez

ALowe

Thanks man!

Tank is doing quite well with little to no effort. I've finally started to frag a few things.

I also want to mention that I picked up a Juvi Achilles today! He looked good and fairly small, so I pulled the trigger on him.
He has no orange on him, so I know she's young. She's sitting in quarantine right now, so I hope she get nice and fat.

-deez
i just realized you're just up in newmarket! i'll have to come see this beauty in person and maybe scoop a couple of your frags

heath

Distinguished Member
I gotta tell you, you have one, if not the nicest tank that I have ever seen, best of luck that it is as successful as it looks..
I've noticed that you have star fish on barebottom, how is that working out, I want to add one to my sea horse tank when its built..

deeznutz

Oh looky what I found in my q tank, I have no idea how it got there??? :D

So ever since I lost my last Achilles to Ick, I swore I wouldn't get another one and be happy with my tang count. Well I was browsing around in one of my LFS and low and behold I found a juvenile Achilles!

Unlike my last one which was fairly matured. This fish reminded me of my very first Achilles, a juvi as well and was in very bad shape. I kept the guy for 5 years and named him todd-ski. Unfortunatly he was sold by a LFS that was housing my fish. But was told it died by Oakville reef gallery who aren't around anymore. Thank god!

Anywho, I couldn't resist the temptation and the achilles holds a special place in my heart. My tank was designed for tangs and the Achilles was at the top of the list!

I've had him for about 8 days now and he's eating well. He's not eating meaty foods but devouring red sea veggies. I've found from my experience is that the Achilles is more of a vegetarian and usually sticks to seaweed. So I'm not too concerned. It would be nice if he did eat LRF to fatten him up quicker.

He's not showing any signs of ich and his belly is starting to get round. I'm going to start hypo-salinity treatment tomorrow since he's in a none stressed state.

Heres a terrible pic of him, notice he's barely got any orange on him and the orange he does have is very muted and dingy. I can't wait for this guy to mature and show me his Colour!
IMG_3390 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

So I really hope he makes it through the quarantine period, I miss having a Achilles!

I'll finish up with a few full tank shots
Enjoy:D

Deez

FTS
IMG_3385 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

Left side

IMG_3386 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

Right side

IMG_3387 by deeznutz398, on Flickr

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Good luck with the Achilles! A personal favourite of mine too....

Try adding some Brine shrimps to the menu. Not great nutritionally, but they are great for getting picky eaters on to frozen foods. IME tangs that stay vegetarian can survive but are never as hardy and disease resistant as omnivores.

My current Achilles (a fairly new acquisition) started picking some Brine and now eats everything from PE Mysis to pellets and even flakes right at the top of the tank in the feeding frenzy!

100gallon

I'm looking at getting an achilles as well. I'm worried about the sailfin blue and yellow tangs...the achilles is 5 inches. How is your achilles doing.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

deeznutz

Good luck with the Achilles! A personal favourite of mine too....

Try adding some Brine shrimps to the menu. Not great nutritionally, but they are great for getting picky eaters on to frozen foods. IME tangs that stay vegetarian can survive but are never as hardy and disease resistant as omnivores.

My current Achilles (a fairly new acquisition) started picking some Brine and now eats everything from PE Mysis to pellets and even flakes right at the top of the tank in the feeding frenzy!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestion, now that I have him eating seaweed on a regular bases(half sheet a day) I might introduce the meaty foods again. I didn't want to force it as it kills the water quality and you know the Achilles demands top notch water.

I'm looking at getting an achilles as well. I'm worried about the sailfin blue and yellow tangs...the achilles is 5 inches. How is your achilles doing.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

What size is your tank? How easily will it be to pull a fish if you have too? My tank is not that big based on volume, but it's 7 feet long. My rock work is easy to move around and I can pull a complete structure out in one piece to perform extraction if need be. Something that wasn't possible with my old tank. So consider that. I remember trying to pull a fish in my last tank ended up with a lot of stress to the other fish and broken sps colonies from the net.

I've not had any experience with a large Achilles, but making it as stress as possible will increase your chances.
Stress is the ultimate killer for the Achilles and if ich breaks out within the first day and doesn't subside within a few days, odd are he won't make it unless you intervene.

When I do introduce my Achilles, it will be the smallest tang next to my Kole tang. I plan on section off 1/3 of my tank with eggcrate for a week or so. What ever I feel is enough time to let him get used to his new environment. not sure if it's going to work, but at least I'm increasing my odds.

All this talk on the Achilles tang make me want to go and grap one:)

Stop whining and go get one already! It seems like everyone is bring them in these days. We know you're rich so stop being so damn cheap ;) lol

deeznutz

Update on the Achilles,

So I've had this fish for about 21 days now. He's eating well and his stomach is starting to bulge and not look so wrinkly. If you know what I mean.
He was ich free for the first 2 weeks. I was in the tank cleaning it up and later that day, he broke out in ich. Only about 5 spots, but regardless I was scared. It cleared up the next few days though.

Since that day, I've been bringing the tank salinity down. Last night I got it to 1.010-1.009 and he was covered from head to tail in ich again.
Luckily he is still eating, but I sure hope I got the tank down to hypo-salinity on time. I'd hate to lose this fish! Fingers crossed.

Every time I go down stairs to see the fish, I peek around the corner to see if I can see something swimming around before I approach it. I feel like if I look at it the wrong way it's going to die on me.

Anyways, wish me luck!

-deez