Derek's Custom 180G SPS Reef Tank

jroovers

Super Active Member
spyd said:
Tank is looking pretty good though.

Photos? :angel:

I hear you about the motivation, when you are busy it is tough to do everything. Hope you stick it out with your SPS system at least, you have acquired quite the collection of sticks from the sounds of it, would be nice to see what it looks like mature. The fall and then winter aren't that far off really, just think what will you do when you are stuck inside?

If you do shut down your second tank, I could probably find room for one or two nice LPS now that my regal has been moved to a new home lol :D

spyd

Super Active Member
jroovers said:
spyd said:
Tank is looking pretty good though.

Photos? :angel:

I hear you about the motivation, when you are busy it is tough to do everything. Hope you stick it out with your SPS system at least, you have acquired quite the collection of sticks from the sounds of it, would be nice to see what it looks like mature. The fall and then winter aren't that far off really, just think what will you do when you are stuck inside?

If you do shut down your second tank, I could probably find room for one or two nice LPS now that my regal has been moved to a new home lol :D

I will put a list together of LPS to sell off. There are a few that I will definitely be keeping. Ie - Tyree Space Invaders and some of my chalices but will definitely clear out the rest.

On a side note, my freakin' BTA's are out of control! I have tried like crazy to remove them but I just can't get them to budge. Any hints? I can't remove the rock they are on. It is the only piece that is together via epoxy and acrylic rod. I blasted them with a powerhead and I mean blasted them and they don't budge. I poked them, I tried ice cubes... Can't make these suckers move for the life of me. I probably have 20 of these things now. Some are even morphing into some really crazy colours for some reason. They all stay on the same rock at least and aren't moving around my tank, however, that is partially the issue that they don't move so I can't remove them.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
I don't know if this is a possibility due to the set up of your tank, but can you move the rock to another section of the tank where they may not be so happy? it seems as though they are loving the spot they are in and don't want to move anywhere. I'd love to see a photo of them too ! Sounds crazy the way they are growing and reproducing !

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Hey Derek, have you tried putting something over them to block the light? If you can block the light over the nems, after a few days they will usually either start crawling to find light or crawl down low in the tank (instinctive reaction to seek shelter from coming storm).

spyd

Super Active Member
Hey Derek,
Just curious if you still have that Sargassum Trigger? How did it do in your tank? I remember you added it a while ago?

My Sargassum jumped to its demise a while back while I was on vacation unfortunately. That was the fish that made me decide to keep a screen over my tank at all times now. Haven't lost a fish since.

Hey Derek, have you tried putting something over them to block the light? If you can block the light over the nems, after a few days they will usually either start crawling to find light or crawl down low in the tank (instinctive reaction to seek shelter from coming storm).

Thanks for the idea Rob! I have about 10 plus BTAs now and am starting to like the look of it as long as they don't start spreading throughout the tank, it should work. I will post a pic shortly of what it looks like.

I have been pondering for months now what direction to take with my tank... I think I have finally decided to go all SPS for the most part but thin it out drastically. I will be selling a bunch of colonies to allow lots of growth room. This way, there is very little fragging and moving of corals, etc which should solve my time constraints. My other LPS tank is closing right down and I will just run it as a sump for now or maybe even a refugium for something different.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
I'm happy to hear you found a solution. Cutting back so you can enjoy the hobby is key. Also tearing down the tank completely, you would have regretted it eventually.

I think with this hobby we all get carried away and put too much on our own plate. Especially when it comes to maintenance, and adding more tanks to our collections. But if you're too busy to enjoy it. Then what's the point. Not to mention neglecting the health of the animals we keep.

I'm glad you're still staying with SPS. Although I would've liked to buy most your SPS :D

spyd

Super Active Member
Still alive! I've just been MIA for a while on here. Everything is still doin well. On the fence as to what to do with the tank.... Do I sell, don't I... Do I, Don't I..... Some days I want to be done with it, then I look at all the nice pieces I have collected and want to get them to where I would like to see them as large colonies. I am slowly clearing out my LPS and chalices so I don't have to worry about feeding corals separately as I have no time for that.

I will take some pics tonight and post them. Reef Hero was over the other day and he was shocked to see how many Flame BTA's I have on my one rock so I will share some pics of that and a couple others.

Bayinaung

Still alive! I've just been MIA for a while on here. Everything is still doin well. On the fence as to what to do with the tank.... Do I sell, don't I... Do I, Don't I..... Some days I want to be done with it, then I look at all the nice pieces I have collected and want to get them to where I would like to see them as large colonies. I am slowly clearing out my LPS and chalices so I don't have to worry about feeding corals separately as I have no time for that.

I will take some pics tonight and post them. Reef Hero was over the other day and he was shocked to see how many Flame BTA's I have on my one rock so I will share some pics of that and a couple others.

Why are you thinking of selling? It looks nice.

Looking forward to the pics. I'll check back in later tonight or tomorrow.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member

Yeah, that Flame BTA is out of control....literally! Lol
Post up some pics of the RR Golden Buddha... That milli (I think it's milli anyways) is off the hook!! Come out to the fragmeet in October if you can buddy... I'd love to see you there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spyd

Super Active Member
Here are a few photos:

FTS
IMG_5047_zpsd6f2d080.jpg

Flame BTAs up-close. I think I have at least 10 to 15 that I can see.
IMG_5051_zps8fce8bfd.jpg

Gold Buddah - Still Kickin Butt!
IMG_5061_zpse96bfecb.jpg

This one is going to be sexy when it grows up. Deep red / Green base and light red polyps
IMG_5068_zpsa3631f71.jpg

My zoos and palys are all doing awesome! Check out these Utter Chaos. Started with 1 large head and 1 baby last year. Now there are around 50 or more:
IMG_5077_zps87b07f93.jpg

More:
IMG_5059_zps1c4c358d.jpg

IMG_5058_zps8fe1745c.jpg

IMG_5056_zpsc9af1380.jpg

IMG_5055_zps0ece9042.jpg

IMG_5054_zps91bc87cb.jpg

IMG_5052_zps43f82075.jpg

Tyree Space Invaders has been growing well! Three times the size now:
IMG_5083_zps0fead907.jpg

Pink Boobies Chalice. You can see how much it has grown from the original frag:
IMG_5079_zps3278bf91.jpg