Derek's Custom 180G SPS Reef Tank

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
What he said ^
Harlequin shrimp will eat them, but the thing they eat is stars so once you run out you have to get them to a new home ASAP

spyd

Super Active Member
Never had a problem with them eating anything. You will find them on corals, etc. but only when there is a dead spot for them to feed off. I have never seen them eat at any living tissue before. Some people say they can be bad, primarily the 6-legged ones, but, I don't think that is the case. They are one of the first ones to feed off dead coral tissue so people may perceive that as them actually causing the dead tissue. Harlequin Shrimp will definitely eat them but as Poseidon mentioned you must move them once they are gone or buy starfish for them to eat.

I found I had tons of them for a while then they slowly start to disappear. My guess is they overpopulate and begin to die off from lack of food.

spyd

Super Active Member
Well, it's official, tank is shutting down. I got it looking really nice but we are going to be moving this year and I don't want to take the tank with me. Our dream house just went up for sale and it's a large property so I just won't have the time to look after my reef tank on top of it.

All corals will be on sale shortly. Corals first, then rock, then fish will all be up for grabs over the next few weeks.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Sorry to hear you are getting out Derek. I understand with the house though having just gone through a move of my own, congrats, that is exciting news! You can always get back into it when things settle down.

derrick orosz

Super Active Member
Stumbled across this thead... hard to hard to believe it’s been almost 5 years since his tank was shut down... anyone still in contact with him? Gonna do another tank?