Diatom algea problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Coonie

I have a diatom algea problem...my main issue is hgow do i get ir off of the sand? i have a couple snail n hermit crabs but they cant even come close to stopping it....is there anything out there or a tricky way to remove it? from sand aswell???

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Welcome!

Your post is sort of like going onto a car forum and saying "how come my car can't run?"

Here's what we need:
1) photo of the tank and or algae in question so we can figure out what it is.
2) Your tank parameters (phosphates, salinity, Ca, Nitrate etc).  Be honest about the numbers and how you got them (for example if you don't have a test kit don't assume your phosphates are 0)
3) Your tank setup and equipment (eg do you use RO/DI water or do you go straight from the tap). Lighting, flow, AGE of the tank etc.
4) Stock in the tank, and feeding schedule.

We can likely get you sorted out if we get some more info.  Hopefully you stick around, it's a great forum with people that are genuinely helpful! :)

C

Coonie

my ammonia is arounhd 0 same with my nitrates and nitrites...i have been using tap water but i let it sit for 5-7 days if that even matters...i do not have a pic at the time but its a brownish tan algea...diatom algea....it gets worse n worse daily...i have a few mushrooms palys zoos couple leathers trumpet torch and frogspawn....it is a 55g tank setup 3 months ago...fuilly cycled with 2 hang on the back 50g filters 2 powerheads and a shitty protien skimmer lol salinity around 1.021 rite now....temp 80.5 and lights are on 9 hour a day on timer

C

Coonie

lights are t5ho....right now only 2 50/50 bulbs and 1 antinic...my other blue burnt out on me...not cheap to replace

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Haha don't worry, everyone has to start some where, I still have diatoms in my system after almost, 3 months I think it is now as well.

They will Eventually go Away. Just be patient. In the mean time do a series of water changes and stick to a strick water change schedule.
Also consider running carbon or gfo in a bag or reactor.

C

Coonie

yeah the tap water is gone after this coming weekend....torx is gonna hook me up with ro water...plan on doing a 10g water change when i get the water...and keep up weekly with 5g or more? changes weekly or more? till gone....the sand is getting really really bad with it...i gotr 2 hermit crabs and 2 turbo snails...but i have come to find out i need wayyyy more....i did a small water change today but should i even bother with any more tap water or just wait till the weekend and do the bigger one wit ro water?

C

Coonie

i also do have carbon in my hob filters.....i can get a coulple socks and add more...i have a container of straight carbon somewhere

C

Coonie

which i didn't mention before is that i have a 3 inch sand bed...pool filter sand washed spotless when first put in...and 65-70lbs live rock

C

Coonie

id prefer not to dose my tank...but at this poiint the sand is very bad....where ever the light can hit it it's most likely to have it on it lol

C

Coonie

its more of a brownish tan algea....will blowing at it on the sand remmove it from the sand long enough to suck it up?

harleymike

Super Active Member
MY newest tank is going on 4 months now. It is still getting the slimmy alage. It is slowly getting better.
I did reduce my lighitng time and it is better than before. It just seems like it needs too gothrough it.
My other tank did the same thing. And is clear now.

C

Coonie

i have my lights on 9 hours a day....is that ok or any suggestions?

davesolo29

Super Active Member
i wouldnt worry too much about the tap water.  tho i agree,  rodi is better, i do know of several successful reef tanks running on tap water.

what test kits are you using?  just curious because some brands can yield some pretty inaccurate readings. 
your salinity is also a bit low.  1.023-1.025 is generally where you will want to be.

what kind of HOB skimmer do you have?  I would get rid of the HOB filtration as well.  It usually acts as more of a trap for nitrates.

do you have any powerheads in the tank for water circulation and flow?

I would also remove a couple inches of sand.  1 inch sandbed is much easier to keep clean, and any more than that is not beneficial in any way.

Lastly.... if you decide to change all/some of these things, dont do it all at once. 

C

Coonie

i keep hearing to get away from the tap water....?????

i have api test kits...goin in garbage whenever i can get soemwhere to buy good ones.

i have 2 whisper 50g on the tank....very soon gonna upgrade to sump....just gotta figure out a reliable overflow since my glass is tempered.

i am trying to get my salinity up...but doin it slowly as not to kill my corals...im not far off.

C

Coonie

i have 2 powerheads also...one on the one side downward pointing towards front of tank sorta lol...other one is pointed to surface to keep top of water moving well

Status
Not open for further replies.