Diatom algea problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
sunnykita link said:
LOL and damn they're related haha, my son in law's aunt and uncle. Ain't no point in beating a dead horse, just chalk it up to experience and move on

[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=4524.msg42223#msg42223 date=1361810335]
[quote author=sunnykita link=topic=4524.msg42221#msg42221 date=1361809343]
I started with tap water, didn't know any better and the lfs said no problem.

Next time you're in the LFS, ask them for a discount for their retarded advice.  :)
[/quote]
[/quote]

Can't fight crazy, can't fight family, go bruins, that's what I always say.  ;D

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Coonie
been there and done that and got the scars to prove it LOL You're all good now, great people here who aren't out to take your money (have no finanical interest) unless you want some great buys on used equipment ! I've been doing a lot of reading on the net, watching videos BRS have some great ones on youtube and the saltwater guy too, it's helped me immensely grasp the basics. Some of the terminology can be confusing to begin with (at least it was for me) but have faith you'll get there and have a great tank. Well worth all the pain and mistakes made along the way.
I'm sure others will have some great go to videos or suggestions for you as well

Coonie link said:
Yeah torx is gonna hook me up with the proper ro/di water. Hopefully this weekend....gonna do a 10g water change rite away then keep up with 5g water change weekly until all that tap water is gone....this site has been a huge help....I was told a completely different story by someone not on here when I first set it up. Wish I knew what I read on here before I started.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
-simple set of test kits - this will help diagnose issues when they arise though once your in the hobby for a bit you can usually figure out whats wrong through a visual check. test kits expire so be prepared to replace them once every year or two (even if they aren't used very much)

Test kits, I had the api kits too, ask which tests these guys use and or prefer, some aren't worth the money spent on them. Unreliable. Might just as well spend a little more and get the accurate test kits.

C

Coonie

yeah i dunno mine are api...i hear there pretty much useless...what kind do u use?

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
hanna, salifert and red sea tend to be the most trusted test kits.  API is good for checking your gold fish bowl for problems.  Might as well use the test kits out of your spa or pool :)

C

Coonie

someone who read my post as suggested i get algea x...is it worh a try? has anyone used this product?

sunnykita

Super Active Member
As a newbie myself, the other members will have better advice for you.  I would want to go slowly and correct the water first, before adding unknowns into the mix.

Having said that Jonesy used a product from Germany that Sealife has brought in, Gary has tried it in the show tank at the store and he's very happy with the results. I can't tell you the product name tho. 

nexusnight

Gary has brought in algea x. It works awesome. I dtarted out with tap water and on to rodi for good now, just set up gfo and now all params are good. So anyway had similar algea problem brown and nasty. Used algea x one treatment.... Problem gone... Gfo has been keeping things in check along with the cc.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

C

Coonie

hmm i mite have to look into it....id like to hear some more personal reviews tho...dont wanna waist money or time or even worse crash my tank

C

Coonie

so after changing to ro/di water...and a little elbow grease my diatoms are receeding....i won this battle!!!! thanks for everyones help!!!!!

nitro069

that's good to hear Connie. It can really put you down in the dumps when things start going south, but when you are able to start making some headway and overcome the current issue at hand(chances are there will be more) it can really be a great feeling.

The one thing that i found to help me out was when i was having a real bad diatom outbreak after changing tanks was to do a 15-20% water change followed by three days light out running gfo and another 15-20% water change after i started slowly bringing my lighting schedule back up. after that i did 15-20% water changes once a week for a month and have not had an issue with diatoms since.
knock on wood!!!

sunnykita

Super Active Member
nexusnight link said:
Gary has brought in algea x. It works awesome. I dtarted out with tap water and on to rodi for good now, just set up gfo and now all params are good. So anyway had similar algea problem brown and nasty. Used algea x one treatment.... Problem gone... Gfo has been keeping things in check along with the cc.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

So, I was in at Sealife Central on the weekend, Gary and Linda had sold out of all the Algae X they brought in. Gary has used in his display tank and if you're in the store you'll see that it's crystal clear. They have another shipment coming in this week. Apparently everyone who has used the product is very happy with it.
Glad to hear that the ro water is helping !

Status
Not open for further replies.