Diatom algea problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
Oh.. i do agree.. get rid of the tap water..
what i meant was, you asked if you should do your regular water change or wait til you have rodi, i wouldnt worry too much.  another few waterchanges isnt gonna change anything.

C

Coonie

oh alrite :)...u think using a baster and blowing at sand is gonna loosen it to vacuum up a bit?

davesolo29

Super Active Member
thats another option.
im a firm believer in short lighting periods when starting a tank

my tank is a 6 bulb t5ho that has been running about 3 months as well. 
i started my lighting with the first two bulbs coming on at 5pm and running til 10pm,  the other four from 6pm-9pm
a few weeks later i changed the two bulbs to 4pm-11pm leaving the other 4 the way they were.
a few weeks after that i changed it again.  2 bulbs 4pm-11pm, and now the other 4 from 6pm-10pm now.

when i know that all my tank parameters are in check and that the biological filtration is stable, i will increase it again.

C

Coonie

i am unable to turn 1 or 2 or 3 bulbs on at a time with my fixture...its all 4 or none...i have them on at 2pm off at 11pm currenty...i work all day n want to enjoy it when home

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Try not to take suggestions as criticisms, that happens a lot.  Someone says you have bad lighting and it's easy to get defensive (for example) :)

3 months, honestly, is not really long enough to fully cycle a tank.  Especially if you are adding any new fish or corals, everything upsets the balance.  It will be said don't do anything drastic, just have patience.  It will come around, but yeah, you will eventually have to get rid of the tap water and ensure you are using 0TDS water in your tank. 

In my humble opinion, it's a year to get a tank fully stabilized from scratch.  There was one guy that kept asking me why he had algae and cloudy water, but he had a 55g with 50 fish in it!  I have a 125 with 10 fish in it (okay I could add a few more).  It's all about slow and steady, and balance.  These tanks can be a great reward, but they rarely come out of the box ready to run.  You're honestly in luck here, go to the 'member's tanks' area and see what some of the guys have.  If you want the same, just listen to the advice and do what you can.  I won't lie, this is a damn expensive hobby.

C

Coonie

yeah i know it is haha...im gonna start getting water from torx...i noticed already when i added any new corals it upsets the rest...alot! im on here to learn...and am parient...but this damn diatoms are ugly ugly ugly

harleymike

Super Active Member
i agree with everything salty said.
I am guilty of being impatient. But it he is right it takes time.
My tank is doing pretty much what yours is. And yes its ugly.
But it does go away. My older tank has been through it and it looks great now.
It takes time.
Cutting the lighting will hellp, and it helpled mine.
But the tank has too go through it, and establish a stable ecosystem.
Mike

C

Coonie

thanks for everyones help...im gonna get on the ro water and do reg water changes weekly...and be patient....hopefully everything turns around

davesolo29

Super Active Member
it will.
as salty said..  any suggestions are just that,  suggestions. 
nobody is critisizing in any way.  although, far too often most of these suggestions you can be sure will help your tank.  we see way too many people that come here asking questions but never follow a single piece of advice and come back again wondering why all their fish or corals are dead or dying.

we all started in this hobby not knowing anything, made several mistakes sometimes costing thousands that we could have avoided had we researched or listened.

Im guilty of several tank losses,  buying things twice or more cause i should have listened and planned to get the right equipment the first time.
If I could go back and start all over again, i would have a kick ass tank with all kinds of money in the bank still.  Oh well.  Lessons learned.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
if you're on city water you really should get away from the tap water ,even just ro water would be way more beneficial to your system ,ditoms can last for months I've seen

Sent from my HTC Incredible S

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
pulpfiction1 link said:
if you're on city water you really should get away from the tap water ,even just ro water would be way more beneficial to your system ,ditoms can last for months I've seen

Sent from my HTC Incredible S
daleomilla link said:
Chatham water is no good try to get ro and I would have your lights on for about 6 hrs not much more. and in time it will come out good.

Just RO is much better then Chatham tap. I did offer to make him RO/DI from my BRS 5 stage. I have found several vendors of RO water in Chatham-Kent where their po4 is through the roof. Now that I know about Chatham water, I would not use it again.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
I started with tap water, didn't know any better and the lfs said no problem. I figured out I needed RO/DI thanks to the group for that and all the reading I've been doing. Second step went to the local water store, wrong again. I asked if their water was ro/di, she asked hubby and hubby said yes. Wrong again. So I purchased a unit second hand and am making my ro/di water now. We all learn as we go, I have a long way to go, baby steps, but getting there.
Good luck, great that one of the group is hooking you up with ro/di

P

phi delt reefer

unless your LFS can show you a mind blowing display run on tap water I wouldn't bother with taking advice from them. Have a look at their saltwater tanks and i'm sure you'll see they are far from impressive and as an "enthusiast" you always want to set the bar higher.

this hobby is expensive. there is no "budget" reefs. The people who end up budget reefing end up with a "swamp tank" - then they try to unload it on kijiji for whatever they bought everything new for and it never sells.  There are expensive setups and stupid expensive setups :D.

You need to realistically budget for the following,

-Changing bulbs (once a year) - $100 for a 4 bulb unit

-using synthetic salt mixed with RO/DI water (10% water change monthly - so two 5 gallon buckets of freshly mixed water) - you also need a quality refractometer (approx $50)

- filter media - this is optional. If you are keeping a reef of soft corals that like "dirty" water then you can get by on the higher nutrients within the system. Expect algae to follow suit though. Most of us on this forum run carbon and some run GFO. There's more advanced filtration options if you're interested but the costs climb accordingly. Keep a lighter bio load and you should be fine with a minimalist system. If you a lot of fish then be prepared to spend money to keep the tank clean.

-simple set of test kits - this will help diagnose issues when they arise though once your in the hobby for a bit you can usually figure out whats wrong through a visual check. test kits expire so be prepared to replace them once every year or two (even if they aren't used very much)

- adding to your clean up crew. snails and crabs die and need to be replaced.

- good quality food - the crappy stuff is loaded with phosphates. Get your fish trained to eat pellets and you'll have fewer nutrient issues.

C

Coonie

Yeah torx is gonna hook me up with the proper ro/di water. Hopefully this weekend....gonna do a 10g water change rite away then keep up with 5g water change weekly until all that tap water is gone....this site has been a huge help....I was told a completely different story by someone not on here when I first set it up. Wish I knew what I read on here before I started.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Coonie link said:
Yeah torx is gonna hook me up with the proper ro/di water. Hopefully this weekend....gonna do a 10g water change rite away then keep up with 5g water change weekly until all that tap water is gone....this site has been a huge help....I was told a completely different story by someone not on here when I first set it up. Wish I knew what I read on here before I started.

It's never too late to learn, that's a constant in life :)

C

Coonie

I just hope I didn't mess up anything up. Already got some sweet corals in there :(

sunnykita

Super Active Member
LOL and damn they're related haha, my son in law's aunt and uncle. Ain't no point in beating a dead horse, just chalk it up to experience and move on

Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=sunnykita link=topic=4524.msg42221#msg42221 date=1361809343]
I started with tap water, didn't know any better and the lfs said no problem.

Next time you're in the LFS, ask them for a discount for their retarded advice.  :)
[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.