Do you think maybe things are getting a little carried away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
i saw an interesting chart from the NRA lovers on facebook.. death by guns has increased alarmingly in two periods throughout the history of the USA, there was a gigantic spike back in the 30's when prohibition was instated and also in the early 70's when nixon started the US war on drugs.. alot of those gun crimes in the above posts are committed with illegally owned and imported firearms by violent gang and drug related murders.. Legalize or lax the drug laws in the usa and by removing the the whole underground drug trade completely would do much more to lower those rates rather than just banning guns. I keep looking but i just cant find the stats on US murders per year caused by legally owned and operated long rifles.. Can anyone else?

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
for sure darryl, its all in good debate fun,
but i think that issues lie so much deeper than people look,

you go to a movie theater and watch sh*t like saw, or texas chainsaw massacre or some other horror/shooting/ killing film,
society burns these movies and images into children/teens minds, and there are a mentally weak people that cant tell the difference between reality and a film or fictional story.

and if no one can own a gun except the government, makes us start to sound a little communist don't you think?

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
AdamS link said:
[quote author=pulpfiction1 link=topic=4135.msg37463#msg37463 date=1359052407]
not many would attempt to rob or murder if they themselves might become the victim

By that same logic, would you not think capitol punishment deters murder? Find me a statistic that proves it does...
[/quote]

capital punishment does not deter murder but would you be breaking into my house with the knowledge there was  a 10mm glock20 waiting on you?

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Duke link said:
i saw an interesting chart from the NRA lovers on facebook.. death by guns has increased alarmingly in two periods throughout the history of the USA, there was a gigantic spike back in the 30's when prohibition was instated and also in the early 70's when nixon started the US war on drugs.. alot of those gun crimes in the above posts are committed with illegally owned and imported firearms by violent gang and drug related murders.. Legalize or lax the drug laws in the usa and by removing the the whole underground drug trade completely would do much more to lower those rates rather than just banning guns. I keep looking but i just cant find the stats on US murders per year caused by legally owned and operated long rifles.. Can anyone else?

your right, the problem is something else, the murders and death by guns is just a symptom, like i said, 80% of deaths by firearms in Canada is suicide, i can only guess its similiar in the states.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Poseidon link said:
[quote author=AdamS link=topic=4135.msg37465#msg37465 date=1359052587]
Gotta agree with Darryl on this one.

How many mass killings happened at grade schools this year with hammers and clubs?

If everyone has a right to guns, shouldnt north korea have a right to nuclear arms? Nuclear arms dont kill people...or do they?

do you think someone sick enough to kill children has a problem mentally? or was his gun the problem?
I guess he was a normal person that just happened to want to kill people and a gun was his best option,

mental facilities have cut budgets, closed facilities, turned these psychos lose, and then we wonderwhy there are people out there like this.
[/quote]

He didnt own the guns, his mother did.. secondly the "AR" style semi automatic long rifle was clearly pulled out the truck of the car adam lanza drove to the school by poilce which is recorded on video by numerous news crews.. interesting how it supposedly was the main weapon and according to the coroner "all" the victims were murdered with it.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
Duke link said:
[quote author=Poseidon link=topic=4135.msg37469#msg37469 date=1359052927]
[quote author=AdamS link=topic=4135.msg37465#msg37465 date=1359052587]
Gotta agree with Darryl on this one.

How many mass killings happened at grade schools this year with hammers and clubs?

If everyone has a right to guns, shouldnt north korea have a right to nuclear arms? Nuclear arms dont kill people...or do they?

do you think someone sick enough to kill children has a problem mentally? or was his gun the problem?
I guess he was a normal person that just happened to want to kill people and a gun was his best option,

mental facilities have cut budgets, closed facilities, turned these psychos lose, and then we wonderwhy there are people out there like this.
[/quote]

He didnt own the guns, his mother did.. secondly the "AR" style semi automatic long rifle was clearly pulled out the truck of the car adam lanza drove to the school by poilce which is recorded on video by numerous news crews.. interesting how it supposedly was the main weapon and according to the coroner "all" the victims were murdered with it.
[/quote]

what ever happened to stealing you moms diet pills for excitement?

things sure goin south anymore

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
We have touched a few other topics.

Yes I think if we look at the stats (Im all about stats)....Marijuana should be legal....at least considering its use has not been proven to result in one death.  Although Im against drinking or doping and driving.....both of which sure do cause death.  But by itself alcohol and tobacco cause so many more health problems....marijuana would actually be the least damaging of the three.  And lets not get into the abuse of per prescribed drugs.

I also think we aught to provide better mental health care....its super important.

And no one said anything about taking all guns away from people or in the u.s. no one has mentioned taking ANY guns away......throwing that into the debate is done as a scare tactic.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
c/p from http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/jul/22/gun-homicides-ownership-world-list

The key facts are:

• The US has the highest gun ownership rate in the world - an average of 88 per 100 people. That puts it first in the world for gun ownership - and even the number two country, Yemen, has significantly fewer - 54.8 per 100 people
• But the US does not have the worst firearm murder rate - that prize belongs to Honduras, El Salvador and Jamaica. In fact, the US is number 28, with a rate of 2.97 per 100,000 people
• Puerto Rico tops the world's table for firearms murders as a percentage of all homicides - 94.8%. It's followed by Sierra Leone in Africa and Saint Kitts and Nevis in the Caribbean

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Well what the Obama administration wants to do is make military style weapons, like the ar15 etc, extremely hard to purchase,  which is scaring people because they will outlaw that and then realize i didn't do a damn thing, so they ban all hand guns, then realize people are still killing each other with shotguns, so they ban that, then What??? What u gonna ban next???

All you need to do Is realize the problem is society , and the mental health is a huge part of it, once you start curing the problem, then and only then can you see the symptoms murders, shootings etc, go away

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
Guns.jpg

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
pulpfiction1 link said:
c/p from http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/jul/22/gun-homicides-ownership-world-list

The key facts are:

• The US has the highest gun ownership rate in the world - an average of 88 per 100 people. That puts it first in the world for gun ownership - and even the number two country, Yemen, has significantly fewer - 54.8 per 100 people
• But the US does not have the worst firearm murder rate - that prize belongs to Honduras, El Salvador and Jamaica. In fact, the US is number 28, with a rate of 2.97 per 100,000 people
• Puerto Rico tops the world's table for firearms murders as a percentage of all homicides - 94.8%. It's followed by Sierra Leone in Africa and Saint Kitts and Nevis in the Caribbean
Setting the bar high for the US by comparing them with some of the most unstable countries around.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Poseidon link said:
Well what the Obama administration wants to do is make military style weapons, like the ar15 etc, extremely hard to purchase,  which is scaring people because they will outlaw that and then realize i didn't do a damn thing, so they ban all hand guns, then realize people are still killing each other with shotguns, so they ban that, then What??? What u gonna ban next???
SLow down.....your letting your imagination get away with you.  No one has even mentioned taking away existing assualt riffles, yet some how you have all weapons being taking away and the government is coming to get you. 

All you need to do Is realize the problem is society , and the mental health is a huge part of it, once you start curing the problem, then and only then can you see the symptoms murders, shootings etc, go away
so why does everyone need a gun if shootings go down?  So everyone has a gun because we are scared of each other and that is gonna stop anyone from using it.  I really dont get it.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
Darryl_V link said:
[quote author=pulpfiction1 link=topic=4135.msg37480#msg37480 date=1359054145]

The key facts are:

Setting the bar high for the US by comparing them with some of the most unstable countries around.
[/quote]

so we  are only looking at the states? and just comparing the different states? i guess Canada is included?facts are facts,i dont know how accurate those numbers are but........

to funny dave

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
My point is look at all those countries with a higher murder rate by firearm per 100,000.  Not nice places to live as a commoner.....ie. not setting the bar very high for the U.S.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
Darryl_V link said:
My point is look at all those countries with a higher murder rate by firearm per 100,000.  Not nice places to live as a commoner.....ie. not setting the bar very high for the U.S.

both canada and the states have trade with a lot of those countries,even vacation at resorts there,as unstable as you say.
so lets just keep suspending 5,6 and 9 year old kids for imaginary guns,its getting just as bad here in canada

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
so why does everyone need a gun if shootings go down?  So everyone has a gun because we are scared of each other and that is gonna stop anyone from using it.  I really dont get it.

in a perfect world no one needs a gun, we can all just throw flowers at each other and hold hands and sing.......

but the worlds a f**Kd up place, people are greedy, hateful and extremely selfish...
been like that since time began, and will always be... world peace is a liberal, left wing wet dream...

im also not saying shootings will go down for sure.... its just my opinion that if we put the mental unstable ( the people most likely to do something like a school shooting) away in a home or something, the chance of stuff like children being gunned down decreases significantly.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Poseidon link said:

the joke of it all to me is.. . What exactly distinguishes an "assault" style semi automatic long rifle versus a "non assault" type semi automatic long rifle? is it the look? the caliber? the magazine position? there are plenty of much more deadly "non-assault" semi automatic long rifles.. the reason gun owners in the USA are outraged by whats about to happen is this exact reason.. Should benellis R1 30-06 caliber semi automatic be included in the ban? how about Remington model 750s, browning bars, and ruger 99's according to the legislation proposed they all wont be inclued but they are high caliber, extremely deadly and highly accurate at much greater distances, but most have a wood grained stock on them so that must make them ok.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
pulpfiction1 link said:
[quote author=Darryl_V link=topic=4135.msg37486#msg37486 date=1359055081]

both canada and the states have trade with a lot of those countries,even vacation at resorts there,as unstable as you say.
so lets just keep suspending 5,6 and 9 year old kids for imaginary guns,its getting just as bad here in canada
[/quote] Vacationing and living.......two VERY different things.  It would be great to live as Rich person in lots of countries that it would suck to live as an average person.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
pulpfiction1 link said:
[quote author=Darryl_V link=topic=4135.msg37486#msg37486 date=1359055081]

[/quote]

sure a few have vacation resorts but most can barely be considered civilized let alone part of the developed world..

Status
Not open for further replies.