Duke duke duke

Status
Not open for further replies.

jroovers

Super Active Member
It is too bad really about AP.  I go onto that site once in a blue moon now to peruse the classified.  Maybe they should change the site name to APjiji or AJ's List.  Doesn't seem to be used for anything else.  The way the site is administrated is much different than any other site I've been on, and I think after a while people realize that and move on.

For what it's worth, AJ has said to me through PM's that he does not make any money off the site, that the sponsorship $'s simply cover the overhead to run the site, and that doesn't include any of his time.  The way things are going with posts/useage I'll be surprised if there is enough sponship money to cover overhead by the end of 2013...

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
jroovers link said:
It is too bad really about AP.  I go onto that site once in a blue moon now to peruse the classified.  Maybe they should change the site name to APjiji or AJ's List.  Doesn't seem to be used for anything else.  The way the site is administrated is much different than any other site I've been on, and I think after a while people realize that and move on.

For what it's worth, AJ has said to me through PM's that he does not make any money off the site, that the sponsorship $'s simply cover the overhead to run the site, and that doesn't include any of his time.  The way things are going with posts/useage I'll be surprised if there is enough sponship money to cover overhead by the end of 2013...

It sucks when someone posts a classified listing link here from AP,  I follow the link and the ole "whoa fuckface, you're not a member, sign up or fuck off" pops up, and I lament the great deal I'm likely missing.  That's why I drink. 

ricklalonde

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=AdamS link=topic=4200.msg38375#msg38375 date=1359650678]
Everyone has a boss, and in this case his boss is the sponsers, why are you not complaining to his sponsers about this?

Me personally, i dont care because this forum has everything i need.

But do we want many of those stores posting on this site? Thats not for me to decide.

I don't mind if stores post, however everyone must realize that this is Rock's baby, and hey, if he had the chance to make money off it by using sponsors, who could fault him for that?  There is absolutely nothing keeping people from starting their own board if they don't agree with it (but seriously, who wants to listen to the complaints of reef hobbyists on a regular basis?  We're freaks!).

That said, I think that if stores/sponsors had any sway over this site, probably half of us would be banned from here already.    ;D
[/quote]

Who's Rock??  :D

I'm just waiting for the day that I can start charging lots of money for membership. I then plan to retire, get obscenely obese, eat chips, and live at my computer rubbing my hands together muttering mhhhaahaa mhhaaaha....

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
ricklalonde link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=4200.msg38405#msg38405 date=1359659392]
[quote author=AdamS link=topic=4200.msg38375#msg38375 date=1359650678]
Everyone has a boss, and in this case his boss is the sponsers, why are you not complaining to his sponsers about this?

Me personally, i dont care because this forum has everything i need.

But do we want many of those stores posting on this site? Thats not for me to decide.

I don't mind if stores post, however everyone must realize that this is Rock's baby, and hey, if he had the chance to make money off it by using sponsors, who could fault him for that?  There is absolutely nothing keeping people from starting their own board if they don't agree with it (but seriously, who wants to listen to the complaints of reef hobbyists on a regular basis?  We're freaks!).

That said, I think that if stores/sponsors had any sway over this site, probably half of us would be banned from here already.    ;D
[/quote]

Who's Rock??  :D

I'm just waiting for the day that I can start charging lots of money for membership. I then plan to retire, get obscenely obese, eat chips, and live at my computer rubbing my hands together muttering mhhhaahaa mhhaaaha....
[/quote]

That's what we call you.  You didn't know?

jroovers

Super Active Member
Salty Cracker link said:
It sucks when someone posts a classified listing link here from AP,  I follow the link and the ole \"whoa fuckface, you're not a member, sign up or fuck off\" pops up, and I lament the great deal I'm likely missing.  That's why I drink.

I haven't purchased anything through that site in eons, so I wouldn't know... that goes for sponsor announcements or classifieds... I'd be curious to see how much traffic the classifieds even get, it has to have dropped off signficantly. 

P

phi delt reefer

I let my tank crash so I wouldn't have to update my tank profile on AP.

I too just use it for classifieds and looking at sponsor posts about new products.

The site interface needs an overhaul and the value of the forum isn't great enough to justify the current dictatorship moderating. Everyone hates RCs rules but its jam packed with awesome threads so people put up with the crap. AP isnt anywhere close to that so they need to step off.

ricklalonde

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
jroovers link said:

Overhead?? its a website.

AdamS

Rick, its evident to me the guy who runs it is not playing with a full deck. So he likely does it all wrong and pays through the nose for it.  Oh, and he is probably a liar.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
First off I must say that this forum is great!!! I have a couple theories that surround why it is great......one is that members are allowed to express themselves freely and even at times when a thread gets off track or whatever it is no big deal.....which it should not be as long as there is not offensive language or such....another is that I don't believe thefragtank caters to a bunch of sponsors instead of genuine members.
The forums are meant to be used as a method of chat and communication between members all sharing the same interest.....when we chat and talk in public there is no GOD there to keep us on track and only say what they want to hear or delete opinions......this forum is as close as it gets to real life convo and I love it for that!!!
I only ask one favor of the frag tank forum.....please never allow Michael Hall and Aqua Digital to ever become a member here! :)
I have been banned from RC for a few months now because I was so sick of his ridiculous marketing ploys on the forum that finally I had to speak my mind.....it ended with me being banned simply because I would not back down and allow someone like that to continue to confuse reefers and lead them down the wrong paths just so they can make more money.
I would have done the same thing in real life and never did I ever use offensive language either.....although many times it was hard to hold it back haha
I have been watching the ghl aquarium computer forum lately and looks like BIGSHOW has been kicking up a bit of a stink over there too LOL good work buddy!! I see you are taking over my role! :) I was banned from there too but now they have allowed me back but under close surveillance according to mathias from ghl....LOL
On RC I went as far as calling it "cyber bullying" what these GODS and sponsors are doing on most forums...... Deleting whatever posts or members they feel like just because we have opinions that differ from there own......how is this a good forum if that is what is happening!!!

Keep it real fragtank!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
LOL yea I'm badass!! :)
When ghl banned me from their German home based forum, aqua digital also banned me from their North American ghl forum......funny thing is that I didn't do anything there except offer people support on their profilux.....oh well, as long as I can get the firmware and software updates that's all I really care about......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
ricklalonde link said:
[quote author=jroovers link=topic=4200.msg38434#msg38434 date=1359664751]

[/quote]exactly....its $200 a month per sponsor there and he has plenty.  He whined once to me and i asked to see the financials and i would make him an offer..... Of course he never did.  They even have the nevrve to ask members for $20 so AJ can line his pockets more.  Websites and bandwidth have become fairly inexpensive.....i dont mind someone makes money on a business but be honest about it.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Darryl_V link said:
[quote author=ricklalonde link=topic=4200.msg38484#msg38484 date=1359672006]
[quote author=jroovers link=topic=4200.msg38434#msg38434 date=1359664751]

[/quote]exactly....its $200 a month per sponsor there and he has plenty.  He whined once to me and i asked to see the financials and i would make him an offer..... Of course he never did.  They even have the nevrve to ask members for $20 so AJ can line his pockets more.  Websites and bandwidth have become fairly inexpensive.....i dont mind someone makes money on a business but be honest about it.
[/quote]

I was surprised to hear that claim, but that is what he claims.  As you guys are pointing out, most don't buy it.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
The thefragtank.ca member dues are due this week.    25bucks each since we are uber awesome.  This will go to funding the websites overhead and new gear to be used at the frag swap.  The rest of the year the gear will be stored at neo's place.  WE need 2 6195 contrallable tunze powerheads to really make our swaps a success. 

The remainder will be used to buy every person who attends a piece of bread, you bring your own weiner.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Neopimp link said:
The thefragtank.ca member dues are due this week.    25bucks each since we are uber awesome.  This will go to funding the websites overhead and new gear to be used at the frag swap.  The rest of the year the gear will be stored at neo's place.  WE need 2 6195 contrallable tunze powerheads to really make our swaps a success. 

The remainder will be used to buy every person who attends a piece of bread, you bring your own weiner.

I don't think that last part is necessary to say, most of the swaps are sausage fests.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
AdamS link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=4200.msg38636#msg38636 date=1359734484]
I don't think that last part is necessary to say, most of the swaps are sausage fests.

I brought my wife...
[/quote]

I meant we had sausage at the BBQ  ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.