Fauna Marine Bacto Reef Balls 250 Ml Reef-bacteria + Enzymes In Depot Spheres

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I just tested my tank. I removed my GFO a while back and have about, if not less then a cup of biopellets left in my reactor. Which is a far cry from the 4-5 cups I needed to run in the past. I have 0.07 po4 and nothing on my nitrate test kit. I am also using Fauna Marin Balling Salts. Those are the only changes I have done. The combination is working great for me.

The balls have not shrunk any more then what was previously posted. I still have the origional balls in the tank. I am not sure if I should replace the old or keep letting them do whatever they are doing.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

vdubz

I noticed mine not getting any smaller after a certain point as well. Wondering the same thing about whether to replace or wait...

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
I checked my bag and my balls were the size of a bee bee. I changed them again today. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they're made 100% of the same stuff. But in my case, I don't need as much so every 2 weeks I change mine.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Its no colder than typical but do have good flow over my balls. I would be more concerned if my balls stayed the same size after being in the sump for 2 weeks!

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
The Bacto "Balls" may not dissolve 100%, about 75% will dissolve on most systems. The factors that contribute to the shrinkage of the balls is nutrients levels and flow rate. They are best put in an area of slow/low flow. DO NOT place the balls near a pump where there is a possibility for them to be sucked up by the pump inlet.

2 weeks is the typical time frame for the balls to reduce in size to about 25% of there original size. After that time you should take them out and replace them.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
The Bacto "Balls" may not dissolve 100%, about 75% will dissolve on most systems. The factors that contribute to the shrinkage of the balls is nutrients levels and flow rate. They are best put in an area of slow/low flow. DO NOT place the balls near a pump where there is a possibility for them to be sucked up by the pump inlet.

2 weeks is the typical time frame for the balls to reduce in size to about 25% of there original size. After that time you should take them out and replace them.
Wow Thanks man, Its great to have a ball expert in da house

Josh

i just ordered a bottle of them! Thanks for the awesome reviews guys i was toying with adding GFO but i think im going to try this route instead. Being a small tank i think i only need 2-3 balls every 2 weeks

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Just finished my 2 week change, the balls not as small as last change but less than 50% left. I have cut my WC from 10 g to 5g and increased my feedings to every day and twice what I had been feeding and no algae issues. Reason for increased feeding is more stock and coral.

Josh

Mine barely shrunk at all, i dont think i had them in the proper spot they werent getting enough flow, ive moved mine so they are right under the filter media so they hopefully get some better flow.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Okay, here is a picture of my balls

IMG_0067.jpg

The larger shiny one is a new one from the bottle and the dull smaller two just came out of my sump

Josh

Mine shrunk down to about half, so i changed them. It took me about 2 weeks though however i dont have them in a reactor i have them in a bag below my media. I have noticed less algae. Just added some GFO as well, hopefully they dont cause issues with each other. They get a lot firmer as they get smaller.

Nick James

I just got my balls from Bigshow. I thought of cutting one in half to start, since there is about 21g of water in the biocube. Has anyone tried chopping their balls in half? Will this effect how they dissolve?

*edit.. just letting you know I currently carbon dose with vinegar as well.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I just got my balls from Bigshow. I thought of cutting one in half to start, since there is about 21g of water in the biocube. Has anyone tried chopping their balls in half? Will this effect how they dissolve?
I did in the OP, BUT never added them. I do not see why that would affect anything negatively.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Josh

unless you are running them in a reactor id just add a full one, if you have it part of chamber 2 then you can almost assume the efficiency will be way down because of lack of flow vs a reactor. i put 2 in my bc29