Grettings!

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Yes lps an softie tanks are quite common, but you can keep lps and sps in a tank together it just requires a lot more experience and finicky maintence/ feeding routines

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
lps and softies go well together.  lps and sps is a whole different ball game.  LPS -tends- to have a better defense mechanism than sps (in my experience) and will destroy a colony of sps quite quickly once it is discovered.  Basically it's best to have things separated as well as possible. 

Secondly, sps needs really really 'clean' water to thrive, and lps does fine in fairly dirty water.  For example in my tank I have to spot feed the lps manually or they don't grow at all.  I spot feed the sps too, but a totally different food, and food+food can lead to a host of different problems (I can get algae buildup on the substrate when I've been feeding, but the corals will look great)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
lps and softies go well together.  lps and sps is a whole different ball game.  LPS -tends- to have a better defense mechanism than sps (in my experience) and will destroy a colony of sps quite quickly once it is discovered.  Basically it's best to have things separated as well as possible. 

Secondly, sps needs really really 'clean' water to thrive, and lps does fine in fairly dirty water.  For example in my tank I have to spot feed the lps manually or they don't grow at all.  I spot feed the sps too, but a totally different food, and food+food can lead to a host of different problems (I can get algae buildup on the substrate when I've been feeding, but the corals will look great)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin

Mauricio

Awesome guys! Thank you all for the info. I'm sure ill be quite active in the forum as I'm new to the hobby and will have many questions pop up, so I apologize in advance for the avalanche of questions that may arise :p

Mauricio

Awesome guys! Thank you all for the info. I'm sure ill be quite active in the forum as I'm new to the hobby and will have many questions pop up, so I apologize in advance for the avalanche of questions that may arise :p

Mauricio

Boga

Softies and LPS would be a very good start for a beginners. We all have been there. I am still considering myself a beginner even after two years plus of saltwater. The more you know, the more you discover how much you don't or you did not know.

Suggesting that you keep the lights you have, see how the things go and take small steps at the time.

Boga

Softies and LPS would be a very good start for a beginners. We all have been there. I am still considering myself a beginner even after two years plus of saltwater. The more you know, the more you discover how much you don't or you did not know.

Suggesting that you keep the lights you have, see how the things go and take small steps at the time.

Boga