Blob-79

Super Active Member
updated orig post

1- blob-79 - 1x 72 led kit
2- Torx ----- 1x 72 led kit
3- Marks69- 1x 72 led kit

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
So I've narrowed it down to what someone stated about 72 LEDs being too bright. So I think that 24 LEDs seems the right move. But here is my question, if my tank is 72" long, and I plan one building a led strip basically, to fill the length of my tank I would essentially have to space each led out by 3". So, would this be too far apart between LEDs? Give me a spot light effect? If I made them shorter would the light not reach the outside of the tank? I want it for colour not par really.... Par helps, but not my main reason. I need some blue. Heeelllllp!!!!!!

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
no optics and the spot lighting will be minmum... less par to the bottom.. but you dont need that.. you just want pop

how high above the water lien are you planning on mounting it

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
Well my halides are about 12" off the water. Give or take... I had planned on building a strip out of heat sinks and attaching the LEDs to the sinks. If I mount it to my canopy I'm about 15" off the water. I would assume the higher the more dispursed the light would be and less spot light effect. Am I correct? I'm just worries I'll spend the money, build it, and turn em on and bam.... Nothing noticeable ....

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
you are right but at 15" you are goign to want at least an 80 degree optic I would guess

Maybe even tighter

The optics will forcus the light deeper in to the tank ... that will help with par but thats no what you are lookign for it:)
you just want more blue and more colorful coral correct?

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Hey Karl.  A picture of your hood and MH setup would be nice.

I think the best route would be a strip of LED in the front and a strip in the back with the MH in the middle. 

I would build it out of U channel.  The U channel I used works great.  It was 1.25x1.25" and .12" thick.  It was $20 with tax for 5 feet worth.

Right now I run 20 royal blues but I also run 20k and 2 x VHO super actinic bulbs.....so I would recommend you do at least twice as many, especially considering the bridgelux are not quite as powerful.

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
My canopy measures 72lx18wx15h. Dead nuts in the middle is a 2 bulb mh retro with crappy DIY reflectors. I def need two good reflectors im losing alot of light bc of this. I have room for a strip in the front and back but towards the back I'm not sure alot of the light would penetrate the tank as it would almost be sitting above the back brace.

So now you think I should run atleast 40 LEDs? Next kit available is 36 then 72. 36 would be better with only two inch spacing and if I hung the u channel I can vary the height. The kit comes with 60 deg optics.... Ugh, I hate trying to make a decision I'll be really bummed out if it makes absolutely no visual appearance whatsoever

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
it will make a difference... I have a single red led mounted with no optic on each fixture.... I can see the difference in the red colorings in the tank if I cover it up or not.... Gives a real nasty old skool blue/red 3d kinda effect with out the whites tuened on too...

not sure on how blue it will turn the overall appearance of the tank but the corals will pop alot more:)

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
i sent this company an email about the heatsinks and better prices  here is the reply i got

c/p:

Hi Phil,

thanks for inquiry. :)
we are located in Hong Kong.
for a 90 leds DIY kit, if you are going to use our heatsinks, it need 3 of 7.1"x15.8" heatsinks.
2 heatsinks carries 36 leds, 1 heatsink carries 18 leds.
Sure, we can offer a better deal for 2 kits, would you please tell do you need the heatsinks?

best regards
Ray

On Thu, 6 Oct 2011 16:39:02 -0400, highgatephil wrote:
> I am very interested in this kit,how big does it assemble? If I wanted
> 2 kits with optional heatsink it says it includes hanging kit,possible
> little better deal on 2 kits?where are you located? Im in Canada,south
> western Ontario actually
>
> Phil
---------------------------------------
i replied to this and will post what he says

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
if he does better or equal too you should be able to get even better on a group buy,tis why i didnt mention it,just looked through his stuff on ebay

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
i havent decided,just  inquirering as i want led as well but want the best price as well more info regarding the assembly
it appears to me that the lights mount directly on the heatsink?so they have pre-drilled heatsinks not included in any kit larger than 24 LED kit?and in the email i recieved  heatsinks come in 2 sizes that holds either 18 or 36 bulbs that are pre-drilled,still havent heard back but they are 12hrs ahead of us so probably not till monday,but im leaning towards waiting to see your results first,even if i lose out on any shipping savings on a single group shipping order

Blob-79

Super Active Member
1- blob-79 - 1x 72 led kit
2- Torx ----- 2x 24 led kit
3- Marks69- 1x 72 led kit
4-Teebone--1 x 36 led kit

lewis844

I think i might get in on it but not sure the kit i want I have a 75 gal with all sps I am leaning towards the 90 led kit but not sure if thats over kill any input??

Blob-79

Super Active Member
They say the 72 kit will do a 75 gallon  tank...however if your going all LED, myself I would probally lean towards the 90 kit. Worse case scenario youll have to dim back the LED's a bit, the leds will last longer, and run cooler, also 90 leds would give a more even coverage.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
Hi Phil,

so the price list is:
- two 90 LEDs dimmable kits: US458
- 6 7.1"x15.8" heatsinks(with fans): US162
- hanging kits: Free

the total cost is US620 + US150 for shipping.
we can offer US690 with shipping.

best regards
Ray
> -----Original Message-----
> From: support@aquastyleonline.com

On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 16:56:57 -0400, highgatephil wrote:
> Yes,I will need your heatsinks for 2 complete kits,how much it cost
> me?
>
> Phil in canada
>
------------------------------------------

got a reply today from ray,looks like 2 complete kits require 6 heatsinks at  7.1" x 15.8" plus cooling with free hanging kits,i will probably go this route blob,gonna see if i can pressure an extra $50 off the price first,so i wont be involved with the group buy at this time

http://www.aquastyleonline.com/products/90--LEDs--DIY-Dimmable-Kit.html

Status
Not open for further replies.