Group LED buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

phatpaco

I am in for 1 - 72 LED kit....Sounds like fun or I can add it to my project list! Upgrade 29 nano and maybe a 90....let me know when we are close to ordering so I can figure out how many of what!!!! Can wait to play with this one!!!!:)

Blob-79

Super Active Member
1- blob-79 - 1x 72 led kit
2- Torx ----- 2x 24 led kit
3- Marks69- 1x 90 led kit
4-Teebone--1x 36 led kit
5-phatpaco-1x 72 led kit

phatpaco

Is it November 13th yet is it????? Is it???!!! You probably did post that info, but I have trouble concentr....hey what was that? See what I mean! I will hold my seahorses....I have a new 90 coming this week and that's the lighting for it....for the cycle I won't need them anyway...Thanks for the update and for putting up with me!

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
Just an update for everyone considering these kits. I got mine in the mail today. Ordered the 36 led kit all royal blue to help supplement my corals. All I can say is WOW!!!!! It took a little while to get it done being my first led build but it was simple enough. I used aluminum furring channel as my light strip. All wires nice and tidy and drivers are small enough they fit inside the channel out of site. Being DIY it isn't going to look amazing but I think I did awesome. My father in law did all the soldering for me as he has a lot of experience doing it and he did awesome. I'm going to post pictures of the build and final results when I can, I can't do it from my phone. The pictures I took do absolutely no justice. Picture a pastel coloures picture under black light that's how my corals flouresced. It is insane. Def worth it to all those involved. I'm even debating switching out my halides all together and running a large led kit. I haven't had the pleasure of seeing the whites but if they are half as bright as the royal blue I'll be all over it! All in all worth the money you guys!!!! Cb saw it first hand he will def vouch for me... I think he's ordering too lol.

phatpaco

Its gotta be the 13th by now!!!!! Come on already.....The 13th is now my version of X-mas to a six year old! krazykarl why did you have to tell us this great news so soon...couldn't you have waited until the 12th so I don't drive everyone nuts asking "is it time yet?"
.....Does anyone know if its the 13th yet?

SO EXCITED!!!!  :) :D ;D

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
My only concern is they put out a ton of heat which surprises me cu I expected them to be cool. But I think possibly a couple fans somehow mounted on the u channel to help cool may work. Other than that, my next build will be will their respective heat sinks. I more or less wanted a strip light

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
Yea I saw those prior to ordering this kit, I just decided to go with the DIY kit due to more LEDs and a few bucks cheaper. The strip kit is only 24 LEDs I believe and 103$. I got 36 LEDs and only 99$. All in all I'm very pleased with them. Sometime down the road I'll be ordering the larger 90 led kit and testing it out compared to my halides. I have to run these LEDs now almost full in order to get the blue to show up against my halides, but man does it look sweet! I wish my camera was able to pick up the actually colour of the tank. Posting pictures after work when I can upload to my pc

C

crazybizzle

to add my 2 sense these are fucking awesome for any2 who gets a kit larger then the 36 u are going to be estatic i am jealous as hell with these def worth it the colours ur coral show are insane now i have to buy them lol and even if ur rock isnt coraline covered it makes ur rock look like it....so gotta get em awesome

Krazykarl link said:
Yea I saw those prior to ordering this kit, I just decided to go with the DIY kit due to more LEDs and a few bucks cheaper. The strip kit is only 24 LEDs I believe and 103$. I got 36 LEDs and only 99$. All in all I'm very pleased with them. Sometime down the road I'll be ordering the larger 90 led kit and testing it out compared to my halides. I have to run these LEDs now almost full in order to get the blue to show up against my halides, but man does it look sweet! I wish my camera was able to pick up the actually colour of the tank. Posting pictures after work when I can upload to my pc
how much did it cost to your door with shipping and duty and everything?

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
LEDs are great :) I have no regrets spending twice as much as the GB  :'(

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
I think it was about 130$ for the kit shipped to my door. I figured for the 10$ I'd save going with the group buy is rather buy it on my own and get it ASAP rather than waiting for the middle of November.

P

phi delt reefer

kk

you can add optics to get a stronger color from teh leds for it concentrates the beam in a tighter pattern. you may have spot lighting though. i believe the leds are 120 degrees stock. May want to try the 80 degree optics to see if you like em.

do you have access to an infrared thermometer? How hot is the actual led (not the star getting) ?
how many leds do you have per aluminium channel ?
spraying the channel with black spray paint (that rustoleum stuff) will help disapate heat better (you can thank darryl for that idea)

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
i did all 36 leds on one channel. i knew it was going to get warm but its a little warmer than i had planned. i have an idea how to deal with the heat however i had no idea paint had heat disipating properties....kinda late now tho considering all leds are installed. unless i tape up each one...ideally i would like to cover the U channel with a flat piece of tin or aluminum with slits cut in and place a few fans onto to it. just having trouble figuring out how to power the fans with the drivers...they output too much voltage for a simple computer fan

P

phi delt reefer

look through ur old electronics. many of them operate on 12vdc so you probably have one kicking around and dont know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.