hanna phosphate checker.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
So ive been battling phophate issues and i had it down to 0.00 for a couple days then creeped up to .05 and .08 the next. So i changed out my gfo and and checked my phosphates today 3 times  first i got 0.11 then 0.00 then 0.05. Any thoughts? Its a new checker just bought it in febuary.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
That's the model number of unit. Check one of the phosphate packets.

However I have only heard about the ULR phosphorous checkers having a bad lot . Not to say you are lieing or anything though.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
i have no issues with mine but found this

https://www.google.ca/search?num=40&newwindow=1&site=&source=hp&q=bad+reagent+for+hanna+checker&oq=bad+reagent+for+hanna+che&gs_l=hp.1.0.33i21.2543.13520.0.17635.25.25.0.0.0.0.173.2634.14j11.25.0....0...1c.1.36.hp..11.14.1625.9AOizpM0TgY

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
reeferkeeper420 link said:
So ive been battling phophate issues and i had it down to 0.00 for a couple days then creeped up to .05 and .08 the next. So i changed out my gfo and and checked my phosphates today 3 times  first i got 0.11 then 0.00 then 0.05. Any thoughts? Its a new checker just bought it in febuary.
They are GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nuff said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
benzzz link said:
Curious how you come to that conclusion?
nothing but inconsistent readings, i can do 5 tests in a row, all performed the exact same way and get 5 diff results that are miles apart, every time I turn around there is another confirmed defective batch of reagents, i change nothing in my routine but double, then triple then quadruple my phosphate remover and it says my phosphates doubled in 24 hrs. there is no way to confirm nor deny the results, it's just smoke and mirrors and hanna is the only one beniffitting, wife is gonna throw it in the garbage, wish I had my $150 back.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
I use them for a quick check once a week.  If I see anything way off I get my wife to help with my salifert ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jroovers

Super Active Member
In contrast to others' experiences, I don't use my phosphate checker much, but never have had any problems with it. Maybe I just haven't used it enough. I use my Hanna alkalinity checker all the time, and I've been very pleased with it :)

jroovers

Super Active Member
reeferkeeper420 link said:
Have you done any double or triple tests to see if it gives you the same reading everytime jroovers?

I've never read anything over 0.03 on my phosphate checker, and that is with repeat testing (i.e. it was within source of error consistently between 0.00 to 0.03, as I think the SoE is 0.03).  I lent it recently to Tyler and I know he got some different readings on his two separate systems, which is expected, and I think he said they were 0.00 and 0.10, and I know he was planning on doing some repeats as well so I'll check with him and see what he has found.

My alkalinity checker seems pretty consistent. When I've had alk below 7 dkh after using the multiplier from ppm, I've re-tested and it has been within a few ppm on re-test, which is negligible when converting to dkh. 

curiousphil

Super Active Member
My phosphate checker has always been fairly consistent... within the stated margin of error (+/- 0.04 ppm).  If you are having doubts about it's accuracy then try checking it against another test kit.  I usually do 5 tests and then write down the average.