hanna phosphate checker.

jroovers

Super Active Member
reeferkeeper420 link said:
Thats alot of money in reagents. I dont want to spend that much money and time on phosphates lol nor should i have to.

I don't think there is much alternative out there though to these hanna checkers for phosphates that is accurate?  Its not like the Alk checker where you simply can go back to the Salifert kit or other and be relatively assured of its accuracy.

In time, I don't think you will spend much time measuring phosphates?  My checker is simply handy to have around, just in case.  I crack it out once every 5 or 6 months at most, and more rely on careful observation of the tank/experience to make system adjustments.  I wouldn't get too caught up in the specific numbers, but I agree some reliability would be nice so you can make an informed decision (i.e. that you have something leaching phosphates or need to up your GAC). 

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Yeah thats why i need the checker now because im battling a long term phosphate problem so i need to know when my phosphates start creeping again so i can change my gfo out.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Yeah thats why i need the checker now because im battling a long term phosphate problem so i need to know when my phosphates start creeping again so i can change my gfo out.

Can you look to other sources of controlling the phosphates other than GFO?  Seems like you are just using a Band-Aid solution to an ongoing, bigger problem?

Jewel

I replaced my Phosphate Checker with the Phosphorous Checker because of inaccurate readings, My first test with Phosphorous checker was dead on at .003, It's just reassurance isn't it, maybe I got lucky maybe it's okay. But from the appearance of my tank, I have no Algae, My Coraline is growing and I'm happy with it.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Jewel link said:
I replaced my Phosphate Checker with the Phosphorous Checker because of inaccurate readings, My first test with Phosphorous checker was dead on at .003, It's just reassurance isn't it, maybe I got lucky maybe it's okay. But from the appearance of my tank, I have no Algae, My Coraline is growing and I'm happy with it.

0.003 or 0.03?  Or are the scales different on the two testers (i.e. 0.03 Phosphate = 0.003 Phosphorus). 

Jewel

Checked it and it says .03 phosphate equals 10 Phosphurus and my reading was 1. which is equal to .003 Phosphate, Is that too good to be true? Maybe I should test again. Like I said I'm happy with my Tank LOL

jroovers

Super Active Member
Jewel link said:
Checked it and it says .03 phosphate equals 10 Phosphurus and my reading was 1. which is equal to .003 Phosphate, Is that too good to be true? Maybe I should test again. Like I said I'm happy with my Tank LOL

If you are happy with your tank that is all that matters.  0.03 ppm phosphates has been considered sort of a threshold amount to aim for SPS anyway if that is what you are chasing, so I thought that you meant you measure 0.03 with your first post.  0.003 would be considerably less.  If I measured 0.03 I might be a bit concerned and keep an eye on things, but if nothing looks off and all looks good you are GTG in my estimation.  Without starting a whole phosphates discussion debacle, a little bit of nutrient is needed as opposed to totally starving a system, so the measurement numbers need to be taken with a bit of a grain of salt, especially when considering source of error of these test kits and devices. 

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Jewel link said:
To good to be true, if you don't get all the reagent in the sample then it will read low or 0 ppb, you have too much life in your tank to have .003 ppm po4 without a super aggressive po4 removal system.

benzzz

jroovers link said:
[quote author=reeferkeeper420 link=topic=8025.msg84706#msg84706 date=1394123168]

Can you look to other sources of controlling the phosphates other than GFO?  Seems like you are just using a Band-Aid solution to an ongoing, bigger problem?
[/quote]

Now here is a question I would like to see answered.

I personally do not feel GFO is a band-aid ????  Before GFo we used other kinds of granular, liquid whatever to try to control PO4.

Most reefers have read this but I will post it for the newer reefers... Actually I re read it again.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/

benzzz

ANd my Hanna ULR seems to work fine. 3 back to back tests came in at the same #'s..  I took others advise and bought 50 pack of regent with the checker.  Havent had it that long (couple weeks) still like a toy to me.. that fades away like Hot Wheels  :p  I think like most said, looking at your tank gives indication of whats going on.. IMO

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
I have a cyano problem, and im thinking my phosphates are feeding the problem..and its probably leached into my rock and sand so i need to aggressively use gfo to try to counter act that abd try to remove it..yeah im with benzzz i didnt think GF0 is a band-aid. That could be said about any reactor media, bio pellets, carbon etc...i dont know im still new to the hobby so i dont want to argue somthing i dont have that much experience in.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

jroovers

Super Active Member
benzzz link said:
Now here is a question I would like to see answered.

I personally do not feel GFO is a band-aid ????  Before GFo we used other kinds of granular, liquid whatever to try to control PO4.

I have a cyano problem, and im thinking my phosphates are feeding the problem..and its probably leached into my rock and sand so i need to aggressively use gfo to try to counter act that abd try to remove it..yeah im with benzzz i didnt think GF0 is a band-aid. That could be said about any reactor media, bio pellets, carbon etc...i dont know im still new to the hobby so i dont want to argue somthing i dont have that much experience in.

What I was trying to get at is that he said he had a long-term phosphate problem and hence the need for monitoring phosphates and replacing GFO accordingly... I didn't see what he thought the source of the phosphate problem is.  Could be he is not changing his water frequently enough, has inefficient skimming, is overfeeding, has rocks that are leaching phosphates, has TDS in his source water, or a combination of these or other factors - in other words an underlying issue that needs to be addressed.  Until he addresses that issue, trying to use GFO to dial the phosphates IMO is a band aid solution, as the underlying cause or source isn't being addressed. 

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Its definately a water issue, its a 5or 6 step purified water system that i buy from. So its not RODI, im looking into getting a rodi system really soon. I do weekly WC, i have a coralife 220(not the best but rated for alot more than my 46g) and yes id assume the rocks are leaxhing along with the sand, i bought the tanks already set up and running and he said thats the water he was getting and it was fine. Well obviously i learned later on it wasnt. And i feed once a day a piece of seaweed and a cubeof mysis/brine, or mysis and bloodworms, all thorughly rinsed before being fed.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
But i need someyhing to control the phos while i get the water issue under control, protecting me from a potential algae outbreak, and bigger cyano problems. So aggressive GFO use it is! Lol

jroovers

Super Active Member
I have a cyano problem, and im thinking my phosphates are feeding the problem..and its probably leached into my rock and sand so i need to aggressively use gfo to try to counter act that abd try to remove it.

I just re-read this part I quoted above - don't assume that phosphates are necessarily the cause of cyano.  They could play into it but I've had 0 detectable phosphates and had cyano.  I just recently changed my sandbed and went through a carpet of cyano all across it, and eventually it went away when it consumed up whatever it was eating.  Carbon dosing IME will also feed cyano at a certain point.

Its definately a water issue, its a 5or 6 step purified water system that i buy from. So its not RODI, im looking into getting a rodi system really soon. I do weekly WC, i have a coralife 220(not the best but rated for alot more than my 46g) and yes id assume the rocks are leaxhing along with the sand, i bought the tanks already set up and running and he said thats the water he was getting and it was fine. Well obviously i learned later on it wasnt. And i feed once a day a piece of seaweed and a cubeof mysis/brine, or mysis and bloodworms, all thorughly rinsed before being fed.

Okay now we are getting somewhere.  Do you know what the TDS is of your water?  0 TDS will help, and yes rocks that are not leaching will not help too but I wouldn't worry about that now, get 0 TDS source water and go from there, and above all else stick to a regular weekly water change schedule.  For the short term you may want to try and grow some chaeto in your symp if you have one to help with nutrient export.  Make sure you keep your skimmer clean and running optimally, and be patient! 

But i need someyhing to control the phos while i get the water issue under control, protecting me from a potential algae outbreak, and bigger cyano problems. So aggressive GFO use it is! Lol

Seems like a reasonable short term solution.  I use GFO and don't consider it a band aid, I use a small amount to help.  But if you have other sources of potential problem, it is just treating the problem and not helping to get to the cure, but sounds like you are aware of that and on it.  Running large amount of GFO have caused problems for some people, as it can suddenly strip too much nutrient - just be careful not to go overboard, and to back off it a bit once you get things under control.  I ran the high capacity GFO for a bit and it caused base recession on some of my acros (I can't prove that, but that was my observation and only logical explanation).

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
So i think i just found a temporary solution to my water till i purchase my own system. On Stop Water thats literally 1 min walk away sell 0-1 tds RO water. No DI but it should work for now, No?

benzzz

I have 0 detectable pretty much PO4 and I have a cyano problem right now as well.. Just on the sand bed in patches. Driving me nuts...  even tried 4 days no lights and agressive skimming.. still there  :mad: