hanna phosphate checker.

Jewel

Don't mean to hijack the thread but, Then Torx breaks in a says (then don't) but for my Cyano issue that was driving me up the wall and was due to high Phosphate, I got some Chemi Clean and it's gone and haven't come back. I run the GFO and Carbon 24/7 and no Cyano.  Knock on wood

Jewel

Last Resort, It works, Use it, In the mean time change your water source like you said and run GFO, Pay attention to the instuctions. Why have the head aches of Cyano when you don't have to. If it comes back then you'll deal with it, but it might not.

Jewel

I know you don't have a Sump for your 180 and maybe not for your 46, But there are other solutions. I'm sure you've seen those hang on the back Refugeums. Well they work great, You should check them out. The addition of Chaeto would help your system considerably.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
reeferkeeper420 link said:
Yeah ive heard of them i should get one for my 46, i plan on getting a sump for my 180. But i definately need different nutrient exports.
Chemiclean it, get rid of it, forget the last resort crap cuz your gonna end up doing it so just do it now and stop over battling the cyano that's going to fight with you for a long time. Everybody wants to go the natural route, but face it, there is nothing natural about trying to keep an ocean in a small glass tank. Keep working on your water quality and enjoy your tank and stop fighting the cyano fight.
Don't worry what the reef police think, they are telling you not to use any "chemical bandage fixes" while they are popping pills, chemicals and putting bandages on everything that ails them. Even the best maintained highest quality tanks get cyano, it's present in every system and sometimes gets out of control and nobody knows exactly why or how.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
^ +1

I've actually considered running a little chemipure elite on my tank....
It's basically a combo of GFO and carbon isn't it?
I currently am running bulk reef rox 0.8 carbon and bulk reef hi cap GFO....
I also use the prodibio bio clean dosing routine....

I should mention that when I first wanted to get more into acros and my po4 and nitrates were higher, I used a product called Foz Down and it worked well... Only do a couple drops like every week and it will lower it considerably.... Still have a lot of this product left if anyone wants to give it a try

cptstnkpnts

Chemiclean it, get rid of it, forget the last resort crap cuz your gonna end up doing it so just do it now and stop over battling the cyano that's going to fight with you for a long time. Everybody wants to go the natural route, but face it, there is nothing natural about trying to keep an ocean in a small glass tank. Keep working on your water quality and enjoy your tank and stop fighting the cyano fight.
Don't worry what the reef police think, they are telling you not to use any "chemical bandage fixes" while they are popping pills, chemicals and putting bandages on everything that ails them. Even the best maintained highest quality tanks get cyano, it's present in every system and sometimes gets out of control and nobody knows exactly why or how.
[/quote]

Well said.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I'm considering foz down as an experiment, I don't have a clue what my po4 is and the fact that foz down is a coagulant then there will be evidence of the binding of the po4 in the form of a flocculant.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Yeah i did 4 tests last night all dofferent numbers.. first was .08, then .03, then .13 and finally, .04. Thats just stupid..how can you take measurments if you dont even know which one to go by...waste of 60$.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Petercar link said:
i just got this milwaukiee tester couple weeks ago. but havent been home to use it ...http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/milwaukee/photometers/mi412.htm
It would great if you can keep us posted, I especially like the fact it runs on a 9v battery, I can't see any electronic circuits working optimally on a 1.5v AAA cell. Knowing what I know know, I would have bought that one even though I'm pretty sure it's made by hannabanana.