theyangman

Distinguished Member
Re: HOCKEY talk. (AKA Leaf bashing)

Poseidon link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=6258.msg60547#msg60547 date=1378949386]
[quote author=pembro link=topic=6258.msg60544#msg60544 date=1378944905]
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=6258.msg60542#msg60542 date=1378944435]
[quote author=pembro link=topic=6258.msg60540#msg60540 date=1378941703]
its a shame the bruins need ice girls to draw fans! GO LEAFS GO! BURN THE BOATS!

The leafs have sexy kadri, they don't need ice girls!  sweeet sexxxy kadri and his insane contract.  I wonder if he'll even get to spend any of that money before they send him back down this year. 

Who knows though, they did better last year than they have done in a decade.  As long as they don't have to play the bruins in the playoffs they might even get to second round!
If they can just slay the dragon this year:
Bruins vs. Maple Leafs 1st Round Game 7 Comeback - History Will Be Made
[/quote]

that contract doesn't look so bad, considering kadri had more points then any bruin last year. but I admit, that was a devastating loss. the leafs were a tough team to play against last year. this year they are even tougher, with better goaltending. I cant wait
[/quote]

That is an INSANE amount of $$ for a guy with 1/2 a season under his belt, and a really really bad attitude towards coaching staff... well who knows.

Heh, you can't knock the bruins scoring...we have -depth-  EVERYONE scores!  I dunno, leafs need to stop putting so much money on one trick ponies (McCabe anyone?) and start building depth.  Every team that really moves ahead can score without the "top guys".  Look what happened when the bruins took on pittsburg, they shut down crosby, which shut down the team.  Chicago had more depth (and speed) than the bruins, which won the cup.  Straight up.  As soon as you see a leaf team with a LOT more depth (fire phaneuf!!!), you'll see them go a lot farther.  It's always bugged me with the leafs, only 1 or two scorers, terrible defense and almost always, goalies past their prime.  Reimer might be a good goalie, very good, but we'll see, that loss must have shook him a bit.  :)
[/quote]

i wouldnt worry about it if i where you, after all your a bruins fan not a leafs fan... :)
(traitor)
[/quote]

Toronto made some solid & not so solid moves in the off season, dumped Grabovski & Komisarek (Good and bad), resigned Bozak for 5 years? (this makes me scratch my head), but resigned Clarkson to an even even more insane 7 year deal that was like 35 million + (the guy is like 30....),  But signed Bernier, Orr, Boland (Odd pick imo).

Kessel is refusing to sign an extension which makes me believe he wants out of Toronto and will test free agency as a UFA in summer of '14 as he realizes his time as an impact player is slipping away (the guy is only in his mid 20's but still, the next 5 year contract will take him to 30 or so) and he is after a cup.

theyangman

Distinguished Member

pembro link said:
The leafs are even a bigger team then they were last year. When you add in bolland and clarkson. Then they added bernier which could actually end up being one of the best tandems in the league. I agree with everything you say about kadri, but the kid has been a ppg player his whole career. The leafs can score, their problem was defense and weak goals.

Clarkson isn't a bad signing, but his terms and $$$ is insane. How does he deserve 35 million over 7 years? Is this guy some sort of super star franchise player?!?! The guy has posted 40+ points ONCE in his entire NHL career.... Kadri is still an up and comer that needs to prove himself for more than a slightly better than average start to a season to where he tailed off and did dick all for the team. He is a whining pussy that needs to put up a lot more before he begins demanding lengthy contracts, but judging by what they gave Clarkson... maybe he doesn't... lol.

As for Bernier, great pick up, this kid could be really good, cause he never really got a shot in LA behind J.Quick. But Reimer just had a pretty darn decent season and is coming into his own and you go and sign another solid goalie? This one kind of made me scratch my head. Especially when you need better D-Men more.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin

I am a big big fan of the 4 line win.  Gregory Campbell (LONDON BOY!!), is a 4th liner, and now he's a legend for the "playing on a broken leg" bit, but it definitely showed that even the 4th line was out there to win, all costs.  Boston keeps all the lines stacked, I mean we're a bit lucky having a 9 foot tall defenceman, so that on the power play they can put 4 forwards on the ice.  I'm not happy that summer is winding down at all, but stoked for the new season.

theyangman

Distinguished Member

Im really interested to see how the new division dynamic shakes things up and how the seeding will affect things in the playoffs. Im not sure if I like the new format or not.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4

pembro

HOCKEY talk. (AKA Leaf bashing)

theyangman link said:
[quote author=Poseidon link=topic=6258.msg60549#msg60549 date=1378949731]
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=6258.msg60547#msg60547 date=1378949386]
[quote author=pembro link=topic=6258.msg60544#msg60544 date=1378944905]
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=6258.msg60542#msg60542 date=1378944435]
[quote author=pembro link=topic=6258.msg60540#msg60540 date=1378941703]
its a shame the bruins need ice girls to draw fans! GO LEAFS GO! BURN THE BOATS!

The leafs have sexy kadri, they don't need ice girls!  sweeet sexxxy kadri and his insane contract.  I wonder if he'll even get to spend any of that money before they send him back down this year. 

Who knows though, they did better last year than they have done in a decade.  As long as they don't have to play the bruins in the playoffs they might even get to second round!
If they can just slay the dragon this year:
Bruins vs. Maple Leafs 1st Round Game 7 Comeback - History Will Be Made
[/quote]

that contract doesn't look so bad, considering kadri had more points then any bruin last year. but I admit, that was a devastating loss. the leafs were a tough team to play against last year. this year they are even tougher, with better goaltending. I cant wait
[/quote]

That is an INSANE amount of $$ for a guy with 1/2 a season under his belt, and a really really bad attitude towards coaching staff... well who knows.

Heh, you can't knock the bruins scoring...we have -depth-  EVERYONE scores!  I dunno, leafs need to stop putting so much money on one trick ponies (McCabe anyone?) and start building depth.  Every team that really moves ahead can score without the "top guys".  Look what happened when the bruins took on pittsburg, they shut down crosby, which shut down the team.  Chicago had more depth (and speed) than the bruins, which won the cup.  Straight up.  As soon as you see a leaf team with a LOT more depth (fire phaneuf!!!), you'll see them go a lot farther.  It's always bugged me with the leafs, only 1 or two scorers, terrible defense and almost always, goalies past their prime.  Reimer might be a good goalie, very good, but we'll see, that loss must have shook him a bit.  :)
[/quote]

i wouldnt worry about it if i where you, after all your a bruins fan not a leafs fan... :)
(traitor)
[/quote]

Toronto made some solid & not so solid moves in the off season, dumped Grabovski & Komisarek (Good and bad), resigned Bozak for 5 years? (this makes me scratch my head), but resigned Clarkson to an even even more insane 7 year deal that was like 35 million + (the guy is like 30....),  But signed Bernier, Orr, Boland (Odd pick imo).

Kessel is refusing to sign an extension which makes me believe he wants out of Toronto and will test free agency as a UFA in summer of '14 as he realizes his time as an impact player is slipping away (the guy is only in his mid 20's but still, the next 5 year contract will take him to 30 or so) and he is after a cup.
[/quote]

Boland is a huge pick up, the leafs needed to upgrade their 3rd line big time. When you get rid of , grabaovski,frattin, MacArthur and replace them with clarkson,boland and bernier that's a huge upgrade. Kessel will sign. And if he doesn't his trade value is through the roof. I think he hits 40 goals this year with a more mature JVR. The bruins lost a few key pieces also, Kelley is a huge reason that 3rd line was so good. But the bruins signed iggy! Lol talk about over the hill. The bruins have a couple good years left. Once chara is done , it's time for a rebuild. But the bruins don't have anything to look forward to in the system except dougie Hamilton.  Boy and I glad hockey is back!

theyangman

Distinguished Member

Kessel has already said he is not signing until the off season. Unless the leafs throw stupid miney at him he isn't staying and even if they do and theu have a shit season he still might leave.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin

pembro link said:
Boland is a huge pick up, the leafs needed to upgrade their 3rd line big time. When you get rid of , grabaovski,frattin, MacArthur and replace them with clarkson,boland and bernier that's a huge upgrade. Kessel will sign. And if he doesn't his trade value is through the roof. I think he hits 40 goals this year with a more mature JVR. The bruins lost a few key pieces also, Kelley is a huge reason that 3rd line was so good. But the bruins signed iggy! Lol talk about over the hill. The bruins have a couple good years left. Once chara is done , it's time for a rebuild. But the bruins don't have anything to look forward to in the system except dougie Hamilton.  Boy and I glad hockey is back!

Heh, we'll see how the iggy thing turns out (should be interesting), the thing about it is, we're not putting him first line center hoping to rescue the team, he's just another guy that can put pucks in the net (hopefully still!).  I do agree that when chara goes it will be a HUGE hole to fill on the D line, and I think he's truly a good leader for the team (phaneuf??).  Other than Lucic I don't think I'd be freaking out if anyone else left.  Lucic is the gas pedal of that team, chara is the soul and character.  We paid a LOT to keep raaask (good, bag, who knows) but he did show up to the post season I'll give him that (and an ex Leaf!).  Still, we have good guys in the wings, Kruug was a last minute throw in and he showed up for at least one or two games, and he'll be looking to keep his good name.  Boston did a decade ago what the leafs (maybe) have started looking at, they built from the bottom up (and didn't keep crying "rebuilding year rebuilding year" while they did it).  They have a lot of talent on the farm, and they're not crazy about giving away draft picks (not that we get many).  Bruins should be solid for at least the next 10 years, but as an ex leaf fan.... I'm definitely used to EXTREMELY disappointing years, so it's all good. 

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate

Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=pembro link=topic=6258.msg60568#msg60568 date=1378976542]

Heh, we'll see how the iggy thing turns out (should be interesting), the thing about it is, we're not putting him first line center hoping to rescue the team, he's just another guy that can put pucks in the net (hopefully still!).  I do agree that when chara goes it will be a HUGE hole to fill on the D line, and I think he's truly a good leader for the team (phaneuf??).  Other than Lucic I don't think I'd be freaking out if anyone else left.  Lucic is the gas pedal of that team, chara is the soul and character.  We paid a LOT to keep raaask (good, bag, who knows) but he did show up to the post season I'll give him that (and an ex Leaf!).  Still, we have good guys in the wings, Kruug was a last minute throw in and he showed up for at least one or two games, and he'll be looking to keep his good name.  Boston did a decade ago what the leafs (maybe) have started looking at, they built from the bottom up (and didn't keep crying "rebuilding year rebuilding year" while they did it).  They have a lot of talent on the farm, and they're not crazy about giving away draft picks (not that we get many).  Bruins should be solid for at least the next 10 years, but as an ex leaf fan.... I'm definitely used to EXTREMELY disappointing years, so it's all good.
[/quote]I just saw on tsn that iginla said himself he will be practicing on the first line.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin

Salty Cracker link said:

[/quote]

Yes, but what I'm saying is, that he's not the big power center we need to "fix the team".  He is (or was) a first line capable player, but julien will have no problem bumping him if he doesn't put the puck in the net.  Hell, anyone that would put lucic in the press box won't have sympathy for anyone. 

pembro

Big_Als_London link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=6258.msg60597#msg60597 date=1378999048]

[/quote]I just saw on tsn that iginla said himself he will be practicing on the first line.
[/quote]

Ouch. As we saw when he was with the pens for the playoffs he is not the impact player he once was. He's more suited for a 3rd line role. Great leadership tho.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin

Salty Cracker link said:

[/quote]

Yes, but what I'm saying is, that he's not the big power center we need to "fix the team".  He is (or was) a first line capable player, but julien will have no problem bumping him if he doesn't put the puck in the net.  Hell, anyone that would put lucic in the press box won't have sympathy for anyone. 
[/quote]

They put him on the second line, he did not contribute that was obvious, however, the bruins completely shut that whole team down.  That little triangle of players they put around cindy was devastating.  I wonder if iggy would have done better with malkin on the first line, and let the bruins mess with sindy.  Time will tell, there's not a lot of love for iggy in boston right now since he effed us at the 0 hour last year.  He's going to have to do a LOT of damage control, and the best way to do that...win games.  Otherwise you might see him playing for providence :)

reeffreak

Super Active Member

Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=6258.msg60602#msg60602 date=1379002288]

[/quote]

[/quote]

They put him on the second line, he did not contribute that was obvious, however, the bruins completely shut that whole team down.  That little triangle of players they put around cindy was devastating.  I wonder if iggy would have done better with malkin on the first line, and let the bruins mess with sindy.  Time will tell, there's not a lot of love for iggy in boston right now since he effed us at the 0 hour last year.  He's going to have to do a LOT of damage control, and the best way to do that...win games.  Otherwise you might see him playing for providence :)
[/quote]

What a waste taking Iggy on in the playoffs, he didnt do a thing for us. He's better of in Boston, should been there last year instead of the pens.

Should be an interesting season, I can't wait for the first Pens vs Boston game. October 30th

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin

reeffreak link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=6258.msg60605#msg60605 date=1379002576]
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=6258.msg60602#msg60602 date=1379002288]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What a waste taking Iggy on in the playoffs, he didnt do a thing for us. He's better of in Boston, should been there last year instead of the pens.

Should be an interesting season, I can't wait for the first Pens vs Boston game. October 30th
[/quote]

I'm not sure why they do things like that.  There was NO chance for iggy to integrate with the team and learn any plays, know where to be for certain players, etc.  He may just be over the hill too, who knows.  Maybe even Calgary will do better without him.  It will be interesting to watch at any rate. 

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin

Oh it's funny. 

I'm chatting with my leafer coworkers, who think the kadri deal is the shiznitz and that he will be the next tavarez or kane.  Again, they are totally discounting kessil, phaneuf, lupul etc, and putting all their bets on one pony.  Amazing. 

What's funny is I know too well the hope and desperation.  The "oh maybe this guy will fix it".  I honestly think that burke was the reason they even made the playoffs, but good ole leaf nation starts screaming for firings, and boom, there they go. 

One thing they have never done...they never ever build through the draft.  If they get a good player coming up the ranks, they trade him for a seasoned hopeful and a draft pick (that they trade for another doofus).  I heard they only kept kadri because they couldn't get anything for him, which is why he spent so much time on the farm.  They'd bring him up and prance him around for a game hoping for a taker, but nothing came, because he DOES have a major attitude problem, and unlike ovechkin, he won't have the all around skillz to back it up.  Plus, chara will just put him through the boards if he start lipping off again :)

I honestly have no idea why anyone would want to play on Toronto, it just ruins good players.  The scrutiny is insane, and a lot of the people bitching aren't even real hockey fans...the bankers and lawyers want to show their clients a win in their very expensive seats.  lol. 

theyangman

Distinguished Member

Kadri is by far from any sort of answer. He might be a solid building block to branch off of, but he is no where near the elite status of a Crosby or Ovechkin. He isn't even second tier superstar IMO.

He needs a few years still and hit the weights a little more. Isn't he like 180 lbs?  All the top forwards in the NHL have like 20 lbs on the kid if not more, and for a reason. The league is getting faster and stronger. At 180 lbs you better be greased lightning or you're going to get crushed constantly coming past the blue line.... and what sort of help are you in your own end on defence when you are that small?

Poseidon

Distinguished Member

Salty Cracker link said:
Oh it's funny. 

I'm chatting with my leafer coworkers, who think the kadri deal is the shiznitz and that he will be the next tavarez or kane.  Again, they are totally discounting kessil, phaneuf, lupul etc, and putting all their bets on one pony.  Amazing. 

What's funny is I know too well the hope and desperation.  The \"oh maybe this guy will fix it\".  I honestly think that burke was the reason they even made the playoffs, but good ole leaf nation starts screaming for firings, and boom, there they go. 

One thing they have never done...they never ever build through the draft.  If they get a good player coming up the ranks, they trade him for a seasoned hopeful and a draft pick (that they trade for another doofus).  I heard they only kept kadri because they couldn't get anything for him, which is why he spent so much time on the farm.  They'd bring him up and prance him around for a game hoping for a taker, but nothing came, because he DOES have a major attitude problem, and unlike ovechkin, he won't have the all around skillz to back it up.  Plus, chara will just put him through the boards if he start lipping off again :)

I honestly have no idea why anyone would want to play on Toronto, it just ruins good players.  The scrutiny is insane, and a lot of the people bitching aren't even real hockey fans...the bankers and lawyers want to show their clients a win in their very expensive seats.  lol. 

again, i really wouldnt worry about it if i were you.... your not a fan of the leafs so what you say really has no affect on anyone that cares.... KINDA just wasting your breath and time :)
just sayin'

Poseidon

Distinguished Member

theyangman link said:
It is because all the leaf fans are in La La land and are 100% delusional about their team.

No, actually we are well aware of what's going on and are still fans....
And even for the few that are in la la land, who cares? What business is it to you?

Ex leaf fans Sound like a bunch of sore losers ," we lost so screw our (old)  team we are gonna find one that's better, " ( just read that in an Eric cartman voice)

Loyalty isn't cheering for who ever is winning or whoever seems like their going to win, loyalty is picking a team or growing up with a team and sticking with them regardless how well or bad they do.

Not saying either of you are band wagon pansies, ( salty is borderline ;). )
But this league is full of people like that and they quite frankly can f**k right off.

theyangman

Distinguished Member

I have cheered for the Sharks since they first got into the league back in the early 90's and have never looked back. I had no affiliation to any team till that point and as a youngster I was just drawn more so to the logo at that age and that is what had me hooked.

I'm not sure where the attitude about "what business is it of yours" comes from, but I am always up to chat hockey with anyone that will banter back with me. The entire thing about the leafs is just almost a running joke most people like to bring up beating the proverbial dead horse if you will about how they have somehow lacked the cohones to become a powerhouse that we all know that they could have built there way into. To be honest, I really don't give a crap about what happens with the leafs, my team is what I care about and I wanna see the boys in teal and silver hoist the cup more than anything. I could not care less if Kadri becomes the next crosby or not, but having an actual meaningful discussion about Hockey and the players no matter what the team is always fun, and that seems to be the sore spot to many leaf fans. They don't care about talking about the rest of the league cause for whatever reason they get bent out of shape when it comes to criticism. I hear it all the time too, about how we choke in the playoffs, always the bridesmaid, never the bride etc... but that's part of hockey, hearing other peoples insights on what could be done and what can't.

And no matter what we say here, it isn't changing any minds at head office of our respective teams. lol so take it all with a grain of salt and watch some good hockey. (Unless you're a Panthers fan, cause they never play good hockey)