Status
Not open for further replies.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
When I tested with an API kit, mine showed 0.5 as well, however with a Redsea kit it was around 0.18. I don't think I use that kit for anything anymore.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

J

jones02

I'm really sick of this HA! I been reading everything and every single person says something different. Everything I test for is good other then nitrates, now I have a reactor and pellets sittig here to add but I read not to add them with this HA problem and then I read that people add them and there HA is gonen in like 2 weeks? Should I add them or no?

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Add 1/4 to 1/2 the recommended dose.... Feed less... Water change more..... Have patience.

I watched my brothers tank go from cyano carpet to ha heaven to crystal clean in 6 months.  PATIENCe

Giglio324

my big new tank started growing hair algae, and i started this post. i followed things. changed my gfo and carbon. added chaeto to my fuge and things are already starting to clear up. in my small tank i had some cyano. i added chaeto on friday and had left my lights off for the whole day this morning i bought a couple bta's and all the cyano was gone...its a christmas miracle. hopefully my big tanks the bloom has died down enough in a couple weeks for me to start running the lights and get a couple clown fish to liven things up. the 4 turbo snails in there are boring lol. patience is key though theres no doubt about that, it is difficult sometimes. results are always awesome tho.

J

jones02

It sucks cuz my tnaks been up over a year annd just starting to get all this HA. I bee using rowa gfo and changed it 3 weeks ago and againn this weekend. But I'm going to add pellets after I soak them tonight and see what happeneds.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
jones02 link said:
Sorry to thread jack but I started getting HA also, my tanks been up for about a year. Been running gfo and carbon, phos read 0 on a hanna. Do have nitrates annd my bulbs are around that time to be changed, would the lights be the one to make the HA? And is it bad to add the pellets with this bloom?

Which Hanna checker are you using to check for po4? Are you using the ULR reef one? This is the one that reads ppb in phosphorous......you must use this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

J

jones02

Ppm sorry annd if I could find a seahare I would have tryd one lol 

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
The Hanna checker for phosphorous will read much lower amounts of po4.... It is much more accurate....I used to use the other Hanna checker that is for phosphate but found that if a reefer does have a small amount of po4 above the recommended .02ppm then it may show up as zero still.....in order to calculate your phosphorous reading (ppb) into phosphate (ppm) use this formula.....

Multiply your phosphorous reading (P) by 3.066 to convert it to PO4
The reading will now be in phosphate (po4), but still in ppb.....to convert to ppm just simply divide by 1000.

I always use this formula because I have only seen recommendations for what po4 in ppm should be at.....which is usually .02ppm or less for po4. In my experience I have only found the Hanna phosphorous ULR ppb checker to be able to detect these very small traces of po4.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
A sea hare will not solve your problem correctly...... Yes, it will eat the HA but you need to find the source.....HA can be rid of....now cyano is a whole other story.....

C

copperkills

+1 seahare wont solve ur problem but I found it a cool intermediate step to control the outbreak until the problem is identified. They are super cool to watch.  All my HA was devoured overnight!  If u find one thats hungry WATCH OUT HA!

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
copperkills link said:
+1 seahare wont solve ur problem but I found it a cool intermediate step to control the outbreak until the problem is identified. They are super cool to watch.  All my HA was devoured overnight!  If u find one thats hungry WATCH OUT HA!

Yes they devour HA! But this is their only use really and they should to be kept IMO in order to accomplish this when it is unnecessary and not anywhere near practical for long term success. You will also find that a lot of SPS will not grow or give any PE with levels of po4 above .02ppm....

J

jones02

My sps have has PE and its not that I'm gettig more HA its I just can't get rid of what I have. When I pull it out it grows a lil longer but doesn't spread?

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
jones02 link said:
My sps have has PE and its not that I'm gettig more HA its I just can't get rid of what I have. When I pull it out it grows a lil longer but doesn't spread?

You should be able to rid yourself of HA by robbing it of its nutrients...... It needs po4 but not very much.....it also needs light, water, nitrates, etc....but po4 is a main factor and it doesn't require much.....what tester are you using jones?

Status
Not open for further replies.