Huge algae bloom-help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
hard to tell, but that looks like cyano.  Does it have bubbles in it?  When I had HA it was just green and really really looked like hair, I don't remember any bubbles or purple/red.

Are you using tap water for changes/topup?

J

jones02

There's no bubbles in it and the purple/red is the rock behind it.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Jones,

This looks more like a green slime algae than a HA. When lights first come on does the algae appear to be gone almost.....and as lights stay on does it start to show more and more until eventually, before lights go out for the day, it contains air bubbles and has become a sheet of slime algae? Also, when lights are out for 12 hours, does it appear as though it is gone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

J

jones02

It is the same amounnt looking all day, and sometimes it has air bubbles but not all the time.

Giglio324

My tank is almost clean of algae thanks to lights being off and replacing gfo and carbon. But I had added some turbos, and one plugged my overflow this morning thank god a small amount of water was still gettin through. Little buggers I gotta DIY an overflow gaurd I think.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Giglio324 link said:
My tank is almost clean of algae thanks to lights being off and replacing gfo and carbon. But I had added some turbos, and one plugged my overflow this morning thank god a small amount of water was still gettin through. Little buggers I gotta DIY an overflow gaurd I think.

I use a price of egg crate for my overflow guard. My overflow is just an elbow peice of PVC. Glad to hear the hair algae is gone, keep the gfo running or else it will prob creep back on you.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
jones02 link said:
It is the same amounnt looking all day, and sometimes it has air bubbles but not all the time.

If it is the same looking all day then I doubt it would be any kind of cyano....
Cyano is very light dependent and will actually appear as if it has disappeared when lights are off and when they first come on.....
I would seriously suggest you have your water checked again for po4......

J

jones02

Reef Hero link said:
[quote author=jones02 link=topic=3661.msg32396#msg32396 date=1354725793]

If it is the same looking all day then I doubt it would be any kind of cyano....
Cyano is very light dependent and will actually appear as if it has disappeared when lights are off and when they first come on.....

[/quote]

I just channged the GFO 2 days ago again. So we will see. Maybe if I come grab them heaters ill brinng some water :)

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Either way I would be very happy to test your water.....bring a small container worth and try to keep it at same temp as much as possible if you do. How much of this algae do you have and is it only on rocks?

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Salty Cracker link said:
I'll have to look for the ppb one, I've been reading nothing but 0.00 for months now.  I can get a higher reading on tapwater and especially water with a drop of dish detergent in it, so it does work, but I didn't know there was a higher-sensitivity one.  The search is on for one.
Id be nice if the phosphorus checker did the calculations for u when u hit the button a second time and showed you a reading in ppm. instead you have to take your reading and times it by 3.066 then divide it by 1000, and i tested 0.00ppm on the hanna phosphate tester but .0364ppm on the phosphorus checker, the phosphorus checker goes to .6ppm so its all you need really.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
jones02 link said:
[quote author=Reef Hero link=topic=3661.msg32831#msg32831 date=1354934523]
[quote author=jones02 link=topic=3661.msg32396#msg32396 date=1354725793]

[/quote]

I just channged the GFO 2 days ago again. So we will see. Maybe if I come grab them heaters ill brinng some water :)
[/quote]

Agreed.
It's the only time I get to use that old thing we call a calculator.....well actually I use the calculator pro app on my iPad :)

J

jones02

Ive had cheato for ever now. Grows like crazy but dont see a big difference with or without it. Nnow its beenn like a week soce i started pellets annd my water is crystal clear and theres hardly anything left on my rocks. So must be doinng the job? But i just got looking at my bulbs and my 2 coral+ are looking red kindna? They were white. So that could be it i think. Im goig to get some nnew ones this week also.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Yeah chaeto didn't do anything for me, I even tried one of those algae curtain things, sure looked neat, but just running a couple of reactor was WAY easier.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
jones02 link said:
Ive had cheato for ever now. Grows like crazy but dont see a big difference with or without it. Nnow its beenn like a week soce i started pellets annd my water is crystal clear and theres hardly anything left on my rocks. So must be doinng the job? But i just got looking at my bulbs and my 2 coral+ are looking red kindna? They were white. So that could be it i think. Im goig to get some nnew ones this week also.

How old are the bulbs?
As a t5 user myself who is trying to grow out sps, I have found that lighting plays a very crucial role.....I will never allow my bulbs to go past 6 months now.....I just changed after letting them go for close to 8 months and I have witnessed a world of change.....coral and fish, yes fish, both doing much better....cyano retracting and no longer has any air bubbles in it.....very interesting how much difference I found new tubes can make on a system.....I was most impressed by the change (for the better) I found in my fish behavior......
But if you are running bulbs older than 6 months then change them out!!!

J

jones02

I been holdin off cuz I wanted to order leds but I might just get bulbs and order them after xmas time.

Status
Not open for further replies.