Huge algae bloom-help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I'll have to look for the ppb one, I've been reading nothing but 0.00 for months now.  I can get a higher reading on tapwater and especially water with a drop of dish detergent in it, so it does work, but I didn't know there was a higher-sensitivity one.  The search is on for one.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Salty Cracker link said:
I'll have to look for the ppb one, I've been reading nothing but 0.00 for months now.  I can get a higher reading on tapwater and especially water with a drop of dish detergent in it, so it does work, but I didn't know there was a higher-sensitivity one.  The search is on for one.

Do you have HA? Do you keep SPS?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Reef Hero link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=3661.msg32187#msg32187 date=1354585514]

Do you have HA? Do you keep SPS?

[/quote]

I am 90% sps and no, I don't have a speck of HA, well maybe a bit on the top edge of the overflows, but I can understand it there.  I just would like to know what my PO4 reading really is. 

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I am not saying that you must have this checker...... Because it is very possible you will buy it and still see 0. Especially, if you are keeping acros successfully and have no hair algae.....it is however a recommendation for anyone who is seeing zero on the phosphate checker but still has HA....I had this issue!

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Reef Hero link said:
I am not saying that you must have this checker...... Because it is very possible you will buy it and still see 0. Especially, if you are keeping acros successfully and have no hair algae.....it is however a recommendation for anyone who is seeing zero on the phosphate checker but still has HA....I had this issue!

Ah okay.  Yeah all sps are doing really well, I just don't like "0.00" as a reading, there has to be 'something' there. 

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I get 0 reading now on my phosphorous checker...... But I also have eliminated all HA!

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Obviously there will be something there...... Just nothing to measure it with.....but I mean if you don't have HA and your corals are good then who cares. I'm sure the ocean will have the same traces as well....but it's only the traces affecting our tanks we should care about. Don't let me discourage you from buying it tho either....heck, maybe you have .01 and could have a little bit better of a setup yet if you got it to 0....

J

jones02

M using the ppm hanna, I only have millies and digisannd a couple montis, I nno I have nitrates so hopefully I can see a good change adding these ecobak pellets. I no my bulbs are getting old also but I'm going to channge to led very shortly, ordering my heatsinks this week. So nnot sure if I want to dump 180 inn bulbs to sell the fixture soon down the road. The only thing the HA kinda did a number to was a acann frag I got at AI. It got covered in HA? Onnly coral to get anything on it. Tryd cleaning it off but it won't go away on it. And when I add the pellets should I turn my gfo annd carbonn reactor off?

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
jones02 link said:
M using the ppm hanna, I only have millies and digisannd a couple montis, I nno I have nitrates so hopefully I can see a good change adding these ecobak pellets. I no my bulbs are getting old also but I'm going to channge to led very shortly, ordering my heatsinks this week. So nnot sure if I want to dump 180 inn bulbs to sell the fixture soon down the road. The only thing the HA kinda did a number to was a acann frag I got at AI. It got covered in HA? Onnly coral to get anything on it. Tryd cleaning it off but it won't go away on it. And when I add the pellets should I turn my gfo annd carbonn reactor off?

You don't need to have nitrates readable to have HA.....you just need a little po4....
Trust me, I had this! The HA will smother out corals....
I would honestly not add the pellets until you fix this HA issue....
From what I have read so far I would very much like to test your water with my phosphorous checker....bring some by jones!

J

jones02

I already have pellets soaking :s will they be junk now? Lol

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Just add them if you have gone that far.....

Will you be running pellets, rowa, and carbon?

J

jones02

Well I only have a half cup soaking. 1/4 dose. And was goig to use gfo and carbon also. I just got brs gfo inn so I was going to switch to that.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I don't have very much experience with pellets or carbon..... I only use rowa.
I think it would be beneficial for you to try a phosphorous test on your water if you have HA......just to clarify, is it GHA?

J

jones02

Whenn you first start the pellets do you keep your gfo going?

Status
Not open for further replies.