Im tired of watching TV on my computer....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Im thinking of getting something to stream video onto the TV from the PC.  Or possible a media type computer in the livingroom.

This seems like a tech savy crowd...what do you suggest.?  What do you think of appletv?  I read conflicting things about its ability to stream files....

I think I would also like a peer to peer system vs everything going over the internet....the house is CAT5 wired, and of course I have wireless.

R

reeffreak

you could just hook a HDMI cable from your computer to your tv if you have a place to hook up on both . This is what I do .

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
I do the same as the Newbie says, not sure what the internet is like in Woodstock but I do have a cap in Hamilton and I do get burned if I stream to much stuff.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Ps3 will stream over your wifi.  The new smart TVs work over the network. Wd live player or something similar.  I use the ps3. 

I mention these thinking you have a computer in the house with movies and shows saved on it.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
get WD LIVE.  I have a couple here at the house, they are pretty easy to set up and play hi def.  I do have a tv screen hooked up to my pc as well, through hdmi, plays tv and movies and is mounted to the wall in my office. 

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I currently stream movies that are on my PC through my home network to PS3 that is hooked to the TV. Fairly simple way to go. I use PS3 Media Server on the computer then you just turn on your PS3, go to Movies, PS3 Media Server, and all the folders you directed at your PC will be viewable and watchable there.

My PS3 is jailbroke with the cinavia fix. (for all who already stream through PS3, they will know what that is :D )

I am about to set up a separate computer tower that will be hooked directly to the TV in the next few weeks.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Not sure is Teksavvy is out in Woodstock, but might be worth a look. They still have unlimited plans and if you want a cap, it is pretty high. I have unlimited and have gone as high as 400-500gb of transfer a month with no issues from them ever.

iantower

This convo is crazy... i must be WAY out of touch with technology lol... had no idea you could do all of this... so am I dumb for spending 150 a month on cable? I thought everyone did haha.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I use apple tv jailbroken with hard drive for streaming, then use new one if I want to rent something

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I'm on teksavvy, rogers doesn't want anyone downloading anything so their caps are insane, and their prices are stupid. 

the WD TV  live is wireless, so I just stream everything from my main pc to the theater room and the bar.  I don't think I've every had a hiccup. 

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Salty Cracker link said:
I'm on teksavvy, rogers doesn't want anyone downloading anything so their caps are insane, and their prices are stupid. 

the WD TV  live is wireless, so I just stream everything from my main pc to the theater room and the bar.  I don't think I've every had a hiccup.

I am assuming this is the western digital one and if so I have setup many and yes they do work nice for a wireless unit.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
jerry_doucette link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=3691.msg32037#msg32037 date=1354483424]

I am assuming this is the western digital one and if so I have setup many and yes they do work nice for a wireless unit.
[/quote]

yepper, the western digital.  I never got an apple one as I assumed apple would want money for every movie watched, or have ways to keep illegal vids off it, etc etc.  Not that I have any illegal downloads though.  WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT?!!? I DON'T!!!

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Obviously if it wqs as simple as a hdmi cable from pc to tv i would have done it but they are on different floors.  I just want a way to access and play my media on the tv from the pc.  I dont want it going through the internet though and hogging bandwidth. It would be cool to use some serivices like blockbuster and netflix but not a necessity.

Sounds like the WD live thing is the way.....a jail broke apple tv sounds interesting but at thatpoint itprobbably just does the same thing as the WD Live.

Im surprised that there arent more and newer products fitting this bill.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
There are tons of new ways, but that normally comes with tons of money lol. You can buy a box that will steam files from your PC from Futureshop, but they range in price. They do use some bandwidth,  however routers now a days can handle a lot more. I have a gigabit one, handles everything in yhe house without issues. I stick to what I have in hand or free/cheap.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Darryl_V link said:
Obviously if it wqs as simple as a hdmi cable from pc to tv i would have done it but they are on different floors.  I just want a way to access and play my media on the tv from the pc.  I dont want it going through the internet though and hogging bandwidth. It would be cool to use some serivices like blockbuster and netflix but not a necessity.

Sounds like the WD live thing is the way.....a jail broke apple tv sounds interesting but at thatpoint itprobbably just does the same thing as the WD Live.

I think people use their game machines, or a lot of guys I know build media-specific pc's for streaming media, but the WD box is pretty cheap and def works.  Even the non-wifi one runs well off a portable hard drive or thumb drive. 

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Darryl_V link said:

Buy an Xbox 360
You can access you computer through your Xbox to play movies, music etc, also allows Netflix and has its owm media players etc.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Funny you mention the xbox360....i was doing this exact thing with the original xbox back like 8yrs ago...modded myself and ran media player on the home network.  Now that im busier i just dont wanna play around and just want something that i buy and simply works.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Darryl_V link said:
Funny you mention the xbox360....i was doing this exact thing with the original xbox back like 8yrs ago...modded myself and ran media player on the home network.  Now that im busier i just dont wanna play around and just want something that i buy and simply works.

I would definitely look into it,(research) as I'm sure it does exactly what your looking for but to be fair I never use the feature much so I can't say a whole lot about it.

xxmurrxx

Torx link said:
I currently stream movies that are on my PC through my home network to PS3 that is hooked to the TV. Fairly simple way to go. I use PS3 Media Server on the computer then you just turn on your PS3, go to Movies, PS3 Media Server, and all the folders you directed at your PC will be viewable and watchable there.

My PS3 is jailbroke with the cinavia fix. (for all who already stream through PS3, they will know what that is :D )

I am about to set up a separate computer tower that will be hooked directly to the TV in the next few weeks.

Was it hard to jailbreak the ps3?
I was super bummed when that cineva hit me.
Currently using a hd hooked to a two bit low def DVD player.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
i have a boxee box.
that combined with netflix works great.

from what i have been told you can stream all kinds of shit from the net.  i just have not explored all the possibilities yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.