Im tired of watching TV on my computer....

Status
Not open for further replies.

umbis

Duke link said:
[quote author=umbis link=topic=3691.msg32104#msg32104 date=1354507309]
In XBMC, I install what's called an 'add-on' that is kinda like a program within XBMC. The 2 I use most are Icefilms and 1Channel. I click on either one, then choose a movie, tv show, etc and they scrape the net for streaming sites.

Ever since the demise of ninja video I kinda have up on streaming sites, not I just download everything in hd and it works for me
[/quote]
Yup, as long as it's free it works for me! I'll definitely check out Serviio. Sounds very similar to xbmc. I've never paid for a dvd and the last cd I bought was in 1998.  :)

umbis

Darryl_V link said:
Is it just me or are the possibilities of the internet endless......just too much crap to sort through though.  That is why apple makes money....it works, seamless integration and cool style.  For most people that is all they want....but if your a geek and have time on your hands the possibilities of what you can do are endless...only problem is the difficulty in setting this crap up, the fact that they can have bugs and you need to be smart to troubleshoot.

Anyway...so now Im between the samsung blueray and the WD live....same price.  Any advantage of one over the other, besides the obvious ability to play bluerays?
If those were my choices, I'd go with the Samsung. Unless you have an old computer kicking around. In that case I'd set up a media pc.

bluewater

There are these android on a stick devices - not much bigger than a usb thumb drive.

They are available from chinese sites banggood, dealextreme, priceangels etc...

IIRC they are about 80 or so,  take forever with free shipping.

Best thing to do is put xbmc (xbmcbuntu?)  on it, a couple of third party add ons and start enjoying.

cheers

C

copperkills

Ive been using appletv for a year now, gen2 jailbreak.  No issues whatsoever.  I have all apple devices and can stream anything to anywhere lol.  Xbmc, Icefilms and FreeCable are the only sites I use,  on occasion I use sportsDevil for live euro soccer.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
For those using XBMC a new file update was released this weekend.....a lot of improvements.....servillio is much more stable but not as many functions.....
Question for those using jailbroken apple devices.....is there still a way to do a complete IOS dump and then reinstall IOS to make it new just like from factory?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

umbis

copperkills link said:
Ive been using appletv for a year now, gen2 jailbreak.  No issues whatsoever.  I have all apple devices and can stream anything to anywhere lol.  Xbmc, Icefilms and FreeCable are the only sites I use,  on occasion I use sportsDevil for live euro soccer.
SportsDevil is great! Do you follow any team in particular?

S

STUEYHAWKINS

do you recommend any good site to stream on... that you dont need to pay or sign up to?

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Apple tv will not stream downloaded movies from your computer..  they have to be bought and downloaded through Itunes or have a certain copyright stamp on them to do it.... Apple Tv 3 is not jailbroken.. APlle Tv 2 is.  ATV3 however runs on wireless N so it will not buffer hardly at all. 

There are better options out there right now if you are lookign to stream your pirated movie collecton to your tv wirelssly.  Once the Jailbrake hapens, and you install Hulu or XMBC you will be able to stream directly from the intyernet almost any thing you can think of, free.

I have ATV 3 and its pretty sweet with the airplay from your iphone... one buttopn on the phone and whatever you are doing pops up on your tv... music.. pictures... movies(tend to lag a bit).  I am waiting for the Jailbreak though :)

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I just have a PC with a 2TB external HDD hooked directly to my TV. Just copy my movies that I own  ;) ;) to the hard drive and no longer have to worry about the kids damaging disks or ugly DVD tower storage. That PC is also wire networked in to the internet so we can watch Youtube and use the 46" LCD as a monitor.

AdamS

Torx, we did that with our movies too. Best thing we ever did. It also allowed us to put the movies on the kids bb playbooks for car rides.

P

phi delt reefer

i used to stream through my PS3 (from my PC)

now i have a laptop hooked up to my tv and just watch live streams off the net or Netflix. I use a US IP address so i can use US Netflix and i'll probably purchase a couple more streaming services in a couple years once the content makes it worthwhile.

Right now icefilms and 1channel and netflix are meeting all my viewing needs.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
I bought a ROKU box and have it wired to my router.  I put in CAT5e when I built the house.  I use PLEX media server on the computer and PLEX app on the ROKU.  It works great.  It gathers all the meta data on the shows and movies too so it looks real nice.

My only problem is the audio doesnt work with Pioneer surround receiver.....dang technology.  I called Pioneer and they gave me some blah not handshaking properly excuse.  The sound still works on my Sharp Aquos TV though.

Anyway because I want to be able to crank up movies (even though they are usually ac3 not 5.1) and use my audio receiver, I bought a WD LIVE at cost co.  I havent hooked it up yet.  I just like the ROKU and wish it worked with my audio receiver.  Oh well the ROKU might be for sale if I hook up the WD live and Im happy with it.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Not sure if I mentioned it but another very nice media box is the Jynxbox Android HD...... runs android 4.0 and is quite nice. Anyone else use it?

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
I've bought two of these boxes and NOW I hear about the coolest android one.

Do you know anyone with one?  Im a little worried they are not for sale in the big box stores.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
No, only Jynx team sells them through authorized dealers......I have one and I know a couple others with them as well.....very nice box....better than jailbroken appletv IMO.
It runs XBMC which is very neat and constantly has updates coming out. It is more for the tech savvy crowd but if anyone checks out the android forums it is not very complex really..... It will also run any android app and has a hard wired Ethernet connection. Also allows any android keyboards, wands, etc to be connected......it is not limited whatsoever and with new updates coming out frequently it will be tough to beat....

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
XBMC is the way to go. If you have the time and expertise, I have heard of some guys who have built a dedicated Home Theater box with a processor and hard drive for the purposes you have described. 

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Best way to stream media to your tv still IMO is to have a desktop built and designed to do so and then have it hard wired to your entertainment setup......this is pricey but the video and sound cards out there are crazy and with a high speed machine you can't go wrong!! These devices we are talking about are meant to be streaming over network and are still working out a lot of flaws.....especially with "ripped" format files and hd quality on top of that....the DLNA and AirPlay integration is starting to be seen now with XBMC as well and soon will change the way we with tv or listen to music on our entertainment system......goodbye remote....your iPhone, android, or other mobile device will allow you to play whatever you want.
I'm not as Into it as my other two friends but then again they don't have a reef tank either......last year they both built new pcs with the new bulldozer processor so I got their hand me down desktop.....which was still considered high end at most big box stores lol

Status
Not open for further replies.