Im tired of watching TV on my computer....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Hmm.....well my ROKU has played any file HD or not that I have thrown at it.....all streaming using PLEX from my PC (hard wired).  Works great(besides the pioneer audio receiver compatibility issue).  I like these little boxes vs using a computer with awkward keyboard.  My buddy does that. 

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Hmmm......might have to check it out myself Darryl. Where did you get it? I have heard pretty good things about the box from Wd......I am very interested to hear your review/comparison....I have only used Jynx so far....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I hooked a wd live! up in the bar over xmas.  It was a pain to get running on the network, but once that was done it's a nice system.  The only downfall is your pain PC has to be up and running for it to work, obviously, and I don't know if I can set it to come out of sleep mode via wireless access. 

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Do these other devices also allow you to hook up external hard drives to them via USB to stream that way as well?

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Mine does.....the ROKU XS.  There is a cheaper version that doesnt.  You could potentially get a network harddrive and download from your computer onto the network drive connected to the media device.

I might be selling my Roku if your interested.  I just want to get the WD Live set up and see if im happy with it.

Arley

My dad has 6 satellites in his house from Bell....hehe....or so that's what he tells them. He has three, my sister has two and I have one. With what our plan is, it works out to $18 per month per satellite! If you know a few people that are local to you, you can split it. You just can't hook it up to the telephone- so no ordering movies, but to be honest we have lots of movie channels, it's not necessary.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
I'm aware of that method but for future reference its best not to talk about theft or piracy in an open forum.  They can track you down and charge you if it ever came to it.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Have you got the Wd setup Darryl? Which you like better?

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
I really like the roku and have been lazy to set the wdlive up.  I dont think I will like it quite as much as the interface and remote isnt as nice.  Also its more like file sharing vs. a media server with metadata.  I was actually trying to hook it up tonight but the wife took over the T.V.. 

Im just pissed about the incompatibility issue....I did a search and found a couple threads with people with the same problem.  Doesnt look like there will be a firmware fix.....no one even is sure if its the rokus fault or the pioneer avr fault.

Anyway likely I will get the wd hooked up and sell the roku reluctantly. 

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I know what you mean......my Jynx has its ups and downs too.....as does XBMC.
They are neat toys to play with tho and I'm sure that in the future more bugs will be worked out with them.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Ive been in communications and IT for a long enough time to know that the more we can do with electronics and software the less reliable it is.  You cant count on shit anymore.....its too complex.

I was researching xbmc last night and when they said it started as the original xbox media center I clued in that I actually ran the original xbmc on my personally modded xbox in College.  It was so long ago I didnt even put two and two together.

AdamS

Haha, thats funny Darryl, i still have one (original xbox with xbmc) hooked up to my TV. My wife and I will break out the Dr Mario every once in a while. When I get tired of losing we play blades of steel.

"Fight!"

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
funny how I have no urge to play with any of the new systems and games out there but when you say blades of steal I wish I could play...haha.

I stopped playing video games when you had to dedicate 6 months and 8hr days to beating them.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I remember when the first modern warfare came out, people lost there jobs because they were so addicted. People litterly 24/7.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
unibob link said:
I remember when the first modern warfare came out, people lost there jobs because they were so addicted. People litterly 24/7.

It's crazy... You see the  10 hour line ups the night before at a best buy or whatever to buy the newest games or system.... What's wrong with those people?

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Poseidon link said:
[quote author=unibob link=topic=3691.msg1#msg1 date=1362743580]

It's crazy... You see the  10 hour line ups the night before at a best buy or whatever to buy the newest games or system.... What's wrong with those people?
[/quote]

Nah, what's wrong with the people that drive 3 hours for a shipment of coral. Who's in? Tomorrow NAFB get there at 10am.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
unibob link said:
[quote author=Poseidon link=topic=3691.msg43884#msg43884 date=1362748426]

[/quote]

Nah, what's wrong with the people that drive 3 hours for a shipment of coral. Who's in? Tomorrow NAFB get there at 10am.
[/quote]

ya i guess everyones crazy in there own way  ;D

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Poseidon link said:

[/quote]......true.  It can litterly become an addiction for people it seems.

When the first guitar hero came out and I started seeing some kids that were awesome at the game I thought......just imagine if all the hours they spent learning how to play a fake guitar was spent learning how to play a real one.  They would actually have a real talent you could use in the real world. 

Status
Not open for further replies.