Incredible Aquarium ...A new low

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill@IA

After a wonderful summer of growth and success with our 220 gallon SPS tank Incredible Aquarium felt confident to invest in some of the industries most colourful SPS frags....it sought the help of friend and collegues Jay and Jenson at Reef Raft Canada. We were aware of their product and pricing but also the challenge of keeping the colours. We decided to invest and offer these wonderful, albeit expensive, specimens to our customers, using the same names, but to market them with IAS in front of Reef Rafts colourful common names. Why?? To still let our customers know where they came from .......but there was a slight difference.......they were now in our systems and in our water so these new Limited Edition SPS may look better or different than what our customers were expecting. We even followed the same pricing strategy used by the Reef Raft USA franchise.
    Our honesty and approach was a huge success and appreciated by everyone who purchased them.

...except those who intended to malign, undercut and attack Incredible Aquarium.

This spring Incredible Aquarium wanted to improve what it was already offering their customers for LPS coral, and more specifically.. Chalice. I love them as much as the next guy. Many here know the work and effort we have been making over the past several months to import nice specimens and succeed at keeping and fragging these wonderful coral. After successfully aquaculturing an Australian Chalice Coral in our own SPS system, in water parameters many dedicated hobbyist would be keeping and caring for their own Chalice coral, we sought the help of our favourite wholesaler/retailer and friends, Reef Raft, again.

Reef Raft put together a very colourful collection of some of the nicest Chalice corals offered....again, we set them up in our systems, marketed them with IAS in front of their names and proceeded to offer them to our customers, while we settled these beauties into their new home.

Nothing has even been priced yet, and already we are attacked??  Why?? We believe it is because of one thing.....money.

We certainly had no idea the names we started to use were trade marked or property of any individual(s) or company. We simply followed the markets trend based on where these Chalice Coral were purchased. We were told by our supplier.... that what we were looking for and what we received from them were the same. With those words we proceeded to market them as such but still added IAS in front of the name, as before, and invested in a proper camera to take WYSIWYG photos. Our strategy wasn't to hype up or overvalue the Chalice as many do today, but to deliver healthy or fraggable colonies. (Short term, our focus was to keep these expensive coral alive.)

We are a business selling coral, we do not deny it and our success is dependant on our customers success and enjoyment.

What I see going on here, in my humble opinion.......is that for others, it's about something entirely different.

We will now proceed to change the names of our new Chalice.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
So from what I can tell.....you showed Jay pictures of Daves chalices that you wanted and Jay proceeded to sell you some and say they were the same?  You than decided to use the same name as Dave (because you were told they are the same).

I think it was not proper etiquette to use Daves names even though RR told you that they were the same because unlike the SPS like avengers, pink floyd etc.  These names came from a 3rd party and not RR.  Also they are separate colonies imported at different times not frags from a large mother colony.  I understand why would do it though.

Also when Jay says something is the exact same.....take it with a grain of salt.  He is just going by memory at this point.  I have seen him pic up half bleached or brown acros and he tells me they are redplanet, or purple monster etc....they just need to colour up.  Personally I think he uses most of his time buying and selling sweet corals and I dont think really follows the name thing as much as you would think.  I mean I have purchased a few acros from him as named collectors from the states only to find out they are different.  He once sold me an "Oregon tort" but its obvious to me now that its not a true oregon tort.  Now that Im a little more educated I know just not to trust his opinion a lone.

anyway these are all just my opinions but it sounds more like a missunderstanding to me.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Bill@IA link said:
        After a wonderful summer of growth and success with our 220 gallon SPS tank Incredible Aquarium felt confident to invest in some of the industries most colourful SPS frags....it sought the help of friend and collegues Jay and Jenson at Reef Raft Canada. We were aware of their product and pricing but also the challenge of keeping the colours. We decided to invest and offer these wonderful, albeit expensive, specimens to our customers, using the same names, but to market them with IAS in front of Reef Rafts colourful common names. Why?? To still let our customers know where they came from .......but there was a slight difference.......they were now in our systems and in our water so these new Limited Edition SPS may look better or different than what our customers were expecting. We even followed the same pricing strategy used by the Reef Raft USA franchise.
    Our honesty and approach was a huge success and appreciated by everyone who purchased them.

...except those who intended to malign, undercut and attack Incredible Aquarium.

This spring Incredible Aquarium wanted to improve what it was already offering their customers for LPS coral, and more specifically.. Chalice. I love them as much as the next guy. Many here know the work and effort we have been making over the past several months to import nice specimens and succeed at keeping and fragging these wonderful coral. After successfully aquaculturing an Australian Chalice Coral in our own SPS system, in water parameters many dedicated hobbyist would be keeping and caring for their own Chalice coral, we sought the help of our favourite wholesaler/retailer and friends, Reef Raft, again.

Reef Raft put together a very colourful collection of some of the nicest Chalice corals offered....again, we set them up in our systems, marketed them with IAS in front of their names and proceeded to offer them to our customers, while we settled these beauties into their new home.

Nothing has even been priced yet, and already we are attacked??  Why?? We believe it is because of one thing.....money.

We certainly had no idea the names we started to use were trade marked or property of any individual(s) or company. We simply followed the markets trend based on where these Chalice Coral were purchased. We were told by our supplier.... that what we were looking for and what we received from them were the same. With those words we proceeded to market them as such but still added IAS in front of the name, as before, and invested in a proper camera to take WYSIWYG photos. Our strategy wasn't to hype up or overvalue the Chalice as many do today, but to deliver healthy or fraggable colonies. (Short term, our focus was to keep these expensive coral alive.)

We are a business selling coral, we do not deny it and our success is dependant on our customers success and enjoyment.

What I see going on here, in my humble opinion.......is that for others, it's about something entirely different.

We will now proceed to change the names of our new Chalice.

Nice try on the save bill, most of us around here aren't stupid enough to fall for your excuses and forgive me for being blunt...

Edited: Keep this civil guys

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Can't we all get along......bill and Dave, post some chalice pics to make us all happy again :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
Reef Hero link said:
Can't we all get along......bill and Dave, post some chalice pics to make us all happy again :)

lol...do you want the pictures with names or without ;)

...kidding of course

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Here are the only two decent chalice I have.....now lets see yours!!!

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
ricklalonde link said:
[quote author=Reef Hero link=topic=4385.msg41015#msg41015 date=1360980090]
Here are the only two decent chalice I have.....now lets see yours!!!

That first one looks rad! Yes I said Rad!
[/quote]

Thanks Rick! Both pieces came from FAL......one is much bigger than the other even though I got both at the same time. I have since acquired 4 more from FAL but still have my fingers crossed on them.....they were cheap tho. FAL had a nice looking piece but was asking 100 per frag so for that price I passed bcuz I wouldrather invest in aquacultured chalice for 100. I am kind of just getting into the chalice game......

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
I can't believe this thread is still active. I don't buy coral bc of twit names. I buy them bc I like the colour or particular species.

C

crazybizzle

I used to have these 2 pcs i got from tropicorium but like usual i killed em

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
To be honest I didn't know about it either, but I don't think too many people would get confused between a chalice coral and a zoa/paly.

There is also a space monster paly as well, but again its like comparing cats to dogs.....completely different species we are talking about.

chief hill

In my personal opinion I think the majority of the names are overrated.  I just say it's a "whatever "colored chalice, or a poly or a zoa. Lol I don't care about the "formal" name as long as I know what species it comes from. Even if it was a expensive frag.
I'm in the hobby to watch and enjoy.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Mhmm, well cats n dogs it may be , but if I come across a 'German Shepard cat' it still has something in common to a 'German Shepard dog' , regardless if it's a completely different species.

I just think people go over board with these names. Lol

And I saw that one and I thought maybe someone copied the name from you as well, those Palys were listed yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.