Jmonkers 140G Custom Build

jmonker

Hey guys, So iv recently upgraded from my old 112 gallon mixed reef, That went down from moving it to the new house, Was so sad!!! So I bought a new system, New house had to get a new tank! The tank is custom Miracles 52x26x23 3 sided starphire tank with C2C overflow, the tank has 2 1" returns and 3 1"1/2 drains. The tank is going to sit in my living room on the second level. The sump is going to sit in the basement near the sink. I plan on running everything on one external pump, IL need to pump up maybe 12 feet, Still deciding which pump to purchase?How many gallons do you think the overflow is rated for?

Been working on the plumbing the last little bit, I got a few pictures!

Any idea's let me know open to anything?

thanks guys

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
wow man, looks awesome, great job on the plumbing

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
It looks freaking phenomenal.

Sorry no recommendation on a pump...I use a whimpy gen-x mak4.  Not enough pressure to run anything other than the return.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Looks awesome.  I've got no suggestions in terms of a pump... I dream of the day I plan to pump water between house levels!  Will be awesome once you get it up and running.

spyd

Super Active Member
Lookin good!!! Plumbing looks nice and clean! That coast-2-coast overflow will be able to handle a lot of water flow. I wouldn't worry about that too much. I am not an expert at external pumps though to make a proper suggestion.

P

phi delt reefer

there are no real quiet external pumps that have a good pressure rating. They are all loud.

you probably want 1000 gph after head loss - this would give 5x system turn over (assuming 200 gallons total system volume)

for an internal pump look at the laguna 2900 (pond pump) - at 12ft you will have 1347 gph for flow (max head is 14.75 ft) I would run a seperate pump for the reactors so you're not heavily taxing the return pump. They are cheapest on EBAY

flow chart
http://www.azponds.com/laguna_maxflo_chart.htm

jmonker

spyd link said:
Lookin good!!! Plumbing looks nice and clean! That coast-2-coast overflow will be able to handle a lot of water flow. I wouldn't worry about that too much. I am not an expert at external pumps though to make a proper suggestion.

Thanks, Ya, I'm trying to do the clean look! Hopefully it works, Ya the coast-2-coast overflow looks like it can handle alot of water, I'm not a expert at pumps by no means!!!

Thmh link said:
Are you the third long lost Mario brothers?  Because your plumbing is awesome!

PEWPEW!

ahaha tanks alot man!

phi delt reefer link said:
there are no real quiet external pumps that have a good pressure rating. They are all loud.

you probably want 1000 gph after head loss - this would give 5x system turn over (assuming 200 gallons total system volume)

for an internal pump look at the laguna 2900 (pond pump) - at 12ft you will have 1347 gph for flow (max head is 14.75 ft) I would run a seperate pump for the reactors so you're not heavily taxing the return pump. They are cheapest on EBAY

flow chart
http://www.azponds.com/laguna_maxflo_chart.htm

Ya, my system should be around 180 gallons, my tank is 140 gallon & 75 gallon sump, plus rock! I'm not sure how much this overflow can handle? Il have to check out these pumps forsure! My drain off the sump to the pump is 1" 1/2 (hole on the sump).

My plan was to run one pump that would handle the tank and a few reactors?Il use powerheads and wavemaker for flow?Try to keep it clean, The skimmer would run its own pump!

Been looking at the reeflo's?????

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
you can run a barracuda/hammerhead full out with absolutely not issues at all.  That plumbing is big enough.  I have the Gold and am happy with it, it will fit the bill for whatever you have planned with it. 
It is really not all that noisy.

C

Camps23

Looks familiar ;)
Plumbing is looking super clean. I had the tank plumbed through the wall behind the tank and ran my sump there. I used a red dragon 6.5 return pump and it fed both returns and a vertex biopellet reactor but I was also only pumping up maybe 2ft. Would love to come see it all setup!

jmonker

Neopimp link said:
you can run a barracuda/hammerhead full out with absolutely not issues at all.  That plumbing is big enough.  I have the Gold and am happy with it, it will fit the bill for whatever you have planned with it. 
It is really not all that noisy.

Ya, I think I'm going to go that way! So you have the Hybrid Gold? right? that pump will witch impellers?

Camps23 link said:
Looks familiar ;)
Plumbing is looking super clean. I had the tank plumbed through the wall behind the tank and ran my sump there. I used a red dragon 6.5 return pump and it fed both returns and a vertex biopellet reactor but I was also only pumping up maybe 2ft. Would love to come see it all setup!

Ya, I'm trying to keep it clean!Hopfully it works out!So you had about 1200 gallons going to the overflow? Ya when i get it setup your more then welcome to come see!!! Thanks man

parksy link said:
Killer tank man I'm looking forward to seeing this over the next year. 

Thanks man, me too. Cant wait! Your tank is looking Gorgeous!!

jmonker

Hey guys, Got a little update, here's some pics of water running through my system , I got the new tank up n running,,,, Finally..... , Its time to drain it and start making ro/di Water and fill the tank, No leaks. I had some trouble with tuning my overflow in but its pretty quite upstairs and no bubbles downstairs.  I Cant wait..

I got two systems running now with having a fragtank, I need to figure out what to do with the stuff in my fragtank,I cant have two set-ups going don't have enough equipment... If anyone in sarnia can help out with that let me know....

Next, is to start building my aquascape and washing my sand ,and let the ro/di water roll.....

Any suggestions on the aquascape? Hit me with it

spyd

Super Active Member
That is a beautiful setup!! I love the display! Just one question though, with the water level being so high in your sump, are you worried that in a power failure it may overflow from the water that would come from the display tank?

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
spyd link said:
That is a beautiful setup!! I love the display! Just one question though, with the water level being so high in your sump, are you worried that in a power failure it may overflow from the water that would come from the display tank?
+1 on the water lever, especially because your sump tank is in the basement  and you have all that extra water running through the plumbing

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin

I run the same size sump and stuff.. here is where my water level is at when running.  When the system shuts down the water will rise up to 1.5" from the top. Same pump. Running wide open.  You can the the high level water mark on the top left of the sump in black marker:)