Jmonkers 140G Custom Build

jmonker

I have a valve that will shut when the power goes off and the valve is in the basement so whatever water that comes down will be blocked? check valve....

I think it should be alright?

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
theoretically yes.. but i wouldnt trust it if the sump will overflow.

jmonker

Anyone in sarnia with a frag tank to store some corals and 3 fish for me? Just getting ready to start my new system and don't want to run two systems, need someone to take my stuff for me, prolly for a couple months?

Any idea's on what I should do for my aquascape? Love to get some idea's

jmonker

Just a little update,  Got a little aquascape down just want to see what you guys think?

First attempt........????  I think im going to get a some shelf rock from brs and add it to my aquascape (Right Side, Leaning) Let me know what you think?

Im thinking of drilling my rock so that coral plugs or hard tubing will fit, easy to move to coral and to handle coral...?

And should I be mudding my rocks together or mortar them together?? What do you guys think....?

Starting to make saltwater... Slowly,,,, Just want to get my rockwork perfect before I bring water upstairs

Should be ready to ready to cycle system soon...  :) :) :) :) :) :)

jmonker

My skimmer, the output of the skimmer where should it sit on the water line?

Under the water, or Out of the water = splash everywhere and noise

spyd

Super Active Member
Add some plumbing to it and have it right in the water. Less bubbles and no noise.

As for the tank, it is looking great! Are you planning all SPS or both?

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Looks great, how many pounds of rock do you have in there right now?

Maybe consider drilling some holes and inserting some fiberglass or acrylic rods inside your structure to hold it together.

I agree that drilling holes for coral plugs is a really good idea if you ever want to change placement or cut frags from your colonies.

jroovers

Super Active Member
The scape looks good!  If you can make it a bit less up and down and more gradually pyramid shaped, I think you'll find that you aren't shading out corals as quickly (unless you want shade for LPS pieces).  Good idea with drilling holes for plugs.  Just be careful that the rock isn't too soft or porous, otherwise it will crack.  I wouldn't mortar if I were you, one of my biggest regrets... it just degrades over time and leaves grey debris around the system. Use ties or epoxy or a combination of the two.

jmonker

This tank is going to be fully stocked with straight sps.... Im thinking I might do polyps and acans on the sand along with chalices on the edge of the rock or the sand, but this tank is going to be sps only

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
looks great.  some good suggestions here already too.  One thing I will add is that check valves are notorious for failing.  It may only be a slow drip or leak but if the power is off for an extended period over time it can flood the sump.

jmonker

teebone110 link said:
Looks great, how many pounds of rock do you have in there right now?

Maybe consider drilling some holes and inserting some fiberglass or acrylic rods inside your structure to hold it together.

I agree that drilling holes for coral plugs is a really good idea if you ever want to change placement or cut frags from your colonies.

I'm not to sure how many pounds of rock I got in the tank I would say 40 pounds of rock maybe...

Ya I love the idea of drilling rock for plugs.... I hope this all works out, I'm thinking I might try the epoxy and go from there. I'm scared if I start drilling for rods the rock is going to crumble!

appreciate the comments

jmonker

jroovers link said:
The scape looks good!  If you can make it a bit less up and down and more gradually pyramid shaped, I think you'll find that you aren't shading out corals as quickly (unless you want shade for LPS pieces).  Good idea with drilling holes for plugs.  Just be careful that the rock isn't too soft or porous, otherwise it will crack.  I wouldn't mortar if I were you, one of my biggest regrets... it just degrades over time and leaves grey debris around the system. Use ties or epoxy or a combination of the two.

I think I get what your saying make it more dome then straight up...? I like the idea of using ties or epoxy  or the combination for the aqua scape. Ya deffinetly  going to drill for plugs, going to be easy to place corals. The rock will have mostly sps all over it going to put polyps and acans on sand.

appreciate the comments and ideas

jroovers

Super Active Member
Yes, that is what I meant, basically you want to maximize horizontal spread and minimize sections that are straight up and down, otherwise you are going to shade those areas out.  More like a small pyramid instead of rectangle.  My pillars I made straight up and down, and over time they've been reworked as I created too much shade, for an SPS dominant system anyway. 

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Petercar link said:
no ones made a volcano look. with a opening in the middle and have the top of rock a few inchs out of the water ..with the plants in that hole amd grow out of the water

someone somewhere always has done it petercar!.

Volcano Tank 032610

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
that is THE tank, that made me take the leap and get into reef keeping.
The person that had my frag tank (4ftx 24x 13") before me had a aquascape coming out of the water like that, they just didnt have the patience to see it through and eventually quit and sold it all to me.

One day I will do something like this ;)